Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of my 08 GT500 Vapor with black stripes. I want to put a set of black colored rims with a policsed lip on it cuz i think it would look wicked. I am not a big fan of upgrading to 20 inch rims but wanted to hear from those who have done it and what your thoughts are. Did the ride get noticeably worse or not and was there any difference in handling?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm no expert, but the gist ot it was that in comparing the SuperSnake to KR, that the 20"s were felt to contribute to some of its shortcomings (of the SS) (handling & traction) from what I recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I found that thread and read it and it is interesting. I was hoping to get some first hand opinions from those who have put the 20 inch rims on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have 20" True Forged wheels. Ride is rougher..noticeable at first, but not now...never crosses my mind. I think the look far outweighs the slightly rougher ride...this car needs 20's IMO. I didn't notice a handling difference...then again, I have EVO's ultimate lowering package and tokico d-specs.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I'm using the same evo suspension but stuck with the stock 18" wheels...this will be the first sports car I did not put 20" wheels on...

·
Registered
639 Posts
IMO...20" look like azz on any muscle car

facts...with 20" you will loose some gear, your ride will be rougher, you will go through tires "slightly" faster.

That is all please drive through

·
Registered
201 Posts
IMO...20" look like azz on any muscle car

facts...with 20" you will loose some gear, your ride will be rougher, you will go through tires "slightly" faster.

That is all please drive through
Actually you shouldn't have a change in "gear ratio" if you get a tire wheel combo that is the same overall height (plus two sizing it's called) and your ride shouldn't be any rougher as long as you don't go below a 30 series tire, but it probably be a bit firmer just from the suspension changes since the stock set up is very soft, as for ware it all depends on what type of tire you use compounds are all different I've been running Yokohamas and they have 30,000.mi on them now and still going the stock Good years are pretty much junk.
It all comes down to what you want out of your car,everyone is different.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunatly the 07-09 GT500 have some ugly a$$ wheels and the factory tire have no grip. I agree with Mustangray, You can get some 20's and FRONT TIRES 255/35ZR20" REAR TIRES ARE 285/30ZR20" and it won't affect the diameter = more rim less tire. I put some 20's and dropped my Roush and the drop did the most effect. Now I plan to put some 20's on my 08 Gt500 this next month.

Either going with toxicwheel.com, saleen extreme 20's (just changing the center cap to the snake), or the KR's 20's (which are freeking overpriced).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unfortunatly the 07-09 GT500 have some ugly a$$ wheels and the factory tire have no grip. I agree with Mustangray, You can get some 20's and FRONT TIRES 255/35ZR20" REAR TIRES ARE 285/30ZR20" and it won't affect the diameter = more rim less tire. I put some 20's and dropped my Roush and the drop did the most effect. Now I plan to put some 20's on my 08 Gt500 this next month.

Either going with toxicwheel.com, saleen extreme 20's (just changing the center cap to the snake), or the KR's 20's (which are freeking overpriced).
+1

I think the stock wheel definitely need the boot! I actually think 20's looks killer when the car is lowered. I admit my car rides a little rougher but the looks and compliments I get are worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts