Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I looked at a 13 shelby Gt500 as some of you know about.
So I have owned a 08 shelby gt & 17 & 19 gt so they were manual transmission.
I was able to drive the 13 gt500 and the clutch pedal was incredibly hard to push down. Nothing like I have felt in my other mustangs.
Any input if this normal on the gt500??
The car also had several chips on the front bumper and hood.
14,000 miles

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
Hey guys I looked at a 13 shelby Gt500 as some of you know about.
So I have owned a 08 shelby gt & 17 & 19 gt so they were manual transmission.
I was able to drive the 13 gt500 and the clutch pedal was incredibly hard to push down. Nothing like I have felt in my other mustangs.
Any input if this normal on the gt500??
The car also had several chips on the front bumper and hood.
14,000 miles
It should not be difficult to press. It has hydraulic assist. The Terminators are difficult to press, the follow-on Shelbys… nope!

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
497 Posts
Factory stock 13' and 14' clutches have a different "feel." They are very stiff / firm at the top and about a third of the way down, it will give way and go the rest of the way down. This is due to a clutch "spring" assist, which most of us have removed and was recently talked about in the attached thread. After removal of the spring, the clutch will feel more like other Mustangs, not quite as stiff and will be more constant resistance throughout the pedal travel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Factory stock 13' and 14' clutches have a different "feel." They are very stiff / firm at the top and about a third of the way down, it will give way and go the rest of the way down. This is due to a clutch "spring" assist, which most of us have removed and was recently talked about in the attached thread. After removal of the spring, the clutch will feel more like other Mustangs, not quite as stiff and will be more constant resistance throughout the pedal travel.

I saw that about the spring and about 3 years ago had my left hip replacement and my left knee worked on. I never had a problem with using the clutch in my other mustangs. After driving the gt 500 I was in pain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should not be diffuse to press. It has hydraulic assist. The Terminators are difficult to press, the follow-on Shelbys… nope!
This one hurt my left leg which I have a hip replacement and knee surgery. My 08 shelby gt had a Mc leod clutch set up and never had a problem. It felt weird to me

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,373 Posts
This one hurt my left leg which I have a hip replacement and knee surgery. My 08 shelby gt had a Mc leod clutch set up and never had a problem. It felt weird to me
Come to the dark side…. The DCT-equipped 2020+!

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
533 Posts
I have a 14 with stock clutch and it is definitely not hard to push. I had meniscus repair on my left knee in January. I got the Shelby the end of March and didn't have any trouble with it. Test drive another Shelby for comparison.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,210 Posts
I put 47K on my (ordered new) 2013 GT500 and the stock clutch was very easy to depress and not hard at all. I had a 2003 Terminator, so I know what a stiff clutch pedal is like! Either something is amiss in the clutch system, or the previous owner(s) replaced the stock Ford clutch with an aftermarket system. If the 2013 is stiffer than your past 2008 GT500, something is wrong!!! Get it resolved before purchasing the car!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Try driving a 2003 2004 Terminator and you will see how nice the 2013 2014 clutch is. Or just bite the bullet and buy a New Shelby with the DCT and call it a day! I love my 6 speed but I never drive it in today’s market and getting a little older the DCT would be my choice as a everyday driver.. ;)

·
Registered
2013 GT500 in Red Candy.
21 Posts
Had a new 2014 GT500 for 2 years but did not take the assist spring out but when I got my 2013 took it out and I prefer the feel of a slightly stiffer clutch pedal and more linear. Did not like that push back with the spring in. I also owned 2003 and 2004 Terminator Cobra's and while the clutch pedal is somewhat stiffer it still does not compare to my big block cars from the 60's/70's which included a 69 GTO Judge, 70 Baldwin Motion Performance Vette, 71 LS-5 Vette and 71 Formula 400 bird. Those were the cars and clutch pedals which made me hate sitting in traffic. Nowadays with my nerve damage issues do not drive the 13 that much but I am a prime candidate for the DCT Shelby's. But I just can't rid of my perfect 3K mile Red Candy 2013 and will not. Down the road in a few years will try and get a newer GT500 wit DCT when the economy goes south and it will.....:poop:....its pants eventually.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put 47K on my (ordered new) 2013 GT500 and the stock clutch was very easy to depress and not hard at all. I had a 2003 Terminator, so I know what a stiff clutch pedal is like! Either something is amiss in the clutch system, or the previous owner(s) replaced the stock Ford clutch with an aftermarket system. If the 2013 is stiffer than your past 2008 GT500, something is wrong!!! Get it resolved before purchasing the car!
The car also had a lot of paint chips and I have driven a lot of muscle cars especially old school and never had a problem pressing a pedal down. In my old big block I had a piece of wood so you didn't press the pedal down to far because it was so hard. That was in the 80s

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,210 Posts
The car also had a lot of paint chips and I have driven a lot of muscle cars especially old school and never had a problem pressing a pedal down. In my old big block I had a piece of wood so you didn't press the pedal down to far because it was so hard. That was in the 80s
Let us know how the clutch issue turns out. Do you buy it, or walk away?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I walked away if he dropped the price to offset the cost of the clutch problem. I might have bought it. I will keep looking for a nice one with no issues and a decent price.
I may just with a used GT350 18 or 19
Thanks for reaching out
I’m always looking for cars so I will keep a eye out for you.. I only buy the best of best when buying used! Prices are really high right know but time will tell with this crazy market!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m always looking for cars so I will keep a eye out for you.. I only buy the best of best when buying used! Prices are really high right know but time will tell with this crazy market!!!!
I am sick from 9/11 and really don't go anywhere. My Bullitt had almost 3,000 miles I bought a 2021 ford bronco sport outerbank 6 months ago I put 569 miles so far. So whatever shelby I get will be a garage queen. I actually drive my 68 AMC Amx as my daily. I finished restoring it and going to drive the crap out of it. I live now in Mooresville, NC and it's muscle car heaven. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
203 Posts
I am sick from 9/11 and really don't go anywhere. My Bullitt had almost 3,000 miles I bought a 2021 ford bronco sport outerbank 6 months ago I put 569 miles so far. So whatever shelby I get will be a garage queen. I actually drive my 68 AMC Amx as my daily. I finished restoring it and going to drive the crap out of it. I live now in Mooresville, NC and it's muscle car heaven. Thank you for your help
pics of the AMX? My dad has one, cool cars!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pics of the AMX? My dad has one, cool cars!
I re-did the interior to the correct color did sound & heat deadner thru out the car fixed and rewired the faulty crap. It's a 343 I did long tube headers and exhaust back. I replaced most of the suspension and window tracks.
It took me a while to get it back together with my health being bad.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts