Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 PP-NAV-Recaro. 2008 Vert
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just updated my new engine build for my 12". She's so close but not there yet. So while I wait I decided to do the clutch in my 08 vert since it's been slipping in 2nd and 3rd. Since it's my primary car now and I want to feel some sort of power.
I ordered a clutch/flywheel throw out bearing from a 13/14. After me and my buddy did the clutch here was what I describe as some clutch chatter in first gear at low RPM. If I was super easy on take off no noise at all, even a slight amount of gas after engagement under 2000 rpm would make some light clunking noises under the shifter. I was hoping after break in it would go away.
After break in it was still present, but the clutch felt great and above 2k i could stomp on it and no noise at all. The clutch held tight and I could put the power down.
Until the other night in reverse. That started the clunking banging noise to become extremely loud even being easy on the gas, i mean grandma easy. Like something is loose and going to break. It's terrible in first, and now does it in second and 3rd as well. When I decel in gear I can even hear a slight clunk but nothing at all like on take off. It seems to get better at higher RPM but I'm afraid give it gas and rpm. What's really weird is the clutch grips and feel fine aside from the horrendous noise.
I'm scared to drive it to the dealership 2 miles away. Any advice what to look at? 50,000 miles, ran perfectly before the clutch job. We can't drop the trans and look at the clutch until next weekend unfortunately.
The only thing I can think of is my bro used a socket as a alignment tool because the kit didn't come w one. And I don't think we got the bleed pressure high enough but I didn't question him because he's a BMW/ Mercedes master tech with multiple certificates on his wall and I'm just a weekend wrencher. Hope someone has advice, i have 2 Gt500s and now I'm reduced to driving my ladys bright orange/ blue wheel carbon fibered the F out toyota gt 86....funny not funny lol.

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
209 Posts
You really need the alignment tool. I’ve seen some photos of guys who installed without one and warped the discs because it pushed the splines and bent it before it slipped in. Also similar things when the bolts from engine to trans are used to pull in the trans. Maybe you got lucky and it slid right in 🤷🏻‍♂️ Otherwise I’m just throwing out one possibility that comes to mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You really need the alignment tool. I’ve seen some photos of guys who installed without one and warped the discs because it pushed the splines and bent it before it slipped in. Also similar things when the bolts from engine to trans are used to pull in the trans. Maybe you got lucky and it slid right in 🤷🏻‍♂️ Otherwise I’m just throwing out one possibility that comes to mind.
It slid right in, took a lot of finesse to slide it in without damaging splines(I think/hope). We used a snap on trans jack to pull the tremec.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it make that noise all the time, or only while engaging the clutch?
Only makes noise when when engaging or the clutch is fully engaged. Its more than a noise it also seems like a thumping thudding banging under the shifter I assume the flywheel or something. I suppose it could be trans mount related but it sounds as if in the bell housing. We used new flywheel bolts. And are pretty smart mechanically but we have all seen something simple on these cars kick our ass. Any test I can do to isolate the issue before i get it on the lift? When it's under load like my long steep driveway even creeping along its sounds the worst.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.....put it on jack stands and the drive shaft carrier mount had no bolts on it. That might be a problem lol... And one transmission to engine bolt was hanging on by a thread. Hopefully it didn't break anything else. Anyone know what bolts for the carrier bearing mount? About to Google it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts