Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Its about $500 more for that set. I need to make sure that my CS 14 20" rim will clear the calipers and that my brake booster is up to the challenge.
That would be my choice, but the wheel issue may have to be resolved by trial and error. I see this on CJ Ponyparts for your wheels.

*This wheel and tire bundle is NOT intended for use with 2015-2020 Shelby GT350 and GT350R model Mustangs.
*This 20" wheel and tire bundle will clear all available brake kits found on any 2005-2018 Mustang.

One statement contradicts the other. Outside of brake clearance is there a reason GT350 and other mustang wheels aren't interchangeable? Wheel stud diameters, bolt pattern?

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,860 Posts
Don,
Try to find someone with a GT350 that will let you test fit your front wheel on. If the barrel and spokes of your wheel clear the caliper you are in great shape and your wheels will work with either setup.
With your connections at the dealership you should be able to make this happen.

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,860 Posts
That would be my choice, but the wheel issue may have to be resolved by trial and error. I see this on CJ Ponyparts for your wheels.

*This wheel and tire bundle is NOT intended for use with 2015-2020 Shelby GT350 and GT350R model Mustangs.
*This 20" wheel and tire bundle will clear all available brake kits found on any 2005-2018 Mustang.

One statement contradicts the other. Outside of brake clearance is there a reason GT350 and other mustang wheels aren't interchangeable? Wheel stud diameters, bolt pattern?
Bolt pattern is the same. Stud dia is different. M14 I believe on the GT350 vs 1/2” on the older cars.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Bolt pattern is the same. Stud dia is different. M14 I believe on the GT350 vs 1/2” on the older cars.
I see the 2015+ base and GT did too, so it might well be a caliper clearance issue. The CS-14 is not a forged wheel, so that could be at issue on their recommendation too. Like I said, trial and error.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Don,
Try to find someone with a GT350 that will let you test fit your front wheel on. If the barrel and spokes of your wheel clear the caliper you are in great shape and your wheels will work with either setup.
With your connections at the dealership you should be ablethe garage with no tire on it
to make this happen.
And I so happen to have a new cs 14 rim front that is sitting in the garage
So lets assume I find someone and they allow it but unbeknownst to me the rim wont fit and i definitly dont want to scratch a 350r or 350 caliper

Any tricks to ensure no damage to the participants car caliper ?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Any tricks to ensure no damage to the participants car caliper ?
Painters tape for the wheel, xanax for the owner. You don't need to tighten the lugs up until you know it will clear. That's not to say it will or won't work on your Shelby, however. You're dealing with an entirely different suspension and a caliper that uses an adapter to work on a different model.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Painters tape for the wheel, xanax for the owner. You don't need to tighten the lugs up until you know it will clear. That's not to say it will or won't work on your Shelby, however. You're dealing with an entirely different suspension and a caliper that uses an adapter to work on a different model.

So many unknowns so I made the decsion and ordered the 6 piston brembos, lh/rh brake lines, rotors; all from the dealership I retired from.

What I might do is to powder coat the calipers and get new stickers and transform them into the color I prefer, red.

Will keep everyone advised

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
280 Posts
The 2019 Bullitt calipers were the way to go Don. No guarantees in fitment, but with all the info out there from those other threads I think it would have been worth the time to order even just one side of those for a test fit. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The 2019 Bullitt calipers were the way to go Don. No guarantees in fitment, but with all the info out there from those other threads I think it would have been worth the time to order even just one side of those for a test fit. Just my opinion.

Definitly a better looking caliper and I made the decision to have my new ones powdercoated red which will soften the blow

I really wanted the GT350R calipers but Id probably end up with a spacer of some sort.

The 13-14 6 piston calipers actually per cat monkey uses less fluid in the piston area so having a issue with the master cylinder shouldnt be a issue. They will give me much better braking and get me the color I desire.
Red calipers.

All in all Im happy ... got a complete new front set up and will get them painted red and the 13-14 GT500 calipers painted red should look sharp. Almost as sharp as a bullit ... but only almost .... I think the bullit is a tad larger .... correct ?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,607 Posts
I have a full set of 13 rotors in damn near new condition with stock brake lines. I also have stock pads and ceramic gold pads all the way around. I will make a smoking deal on a pick up in the DFW area.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I have a full set of 13 rotors in damn near new condition with stock brake lines. I also have stock pads and ceramic gold pads all the way around. I will make a smoking deal on a pick up in the DFW area.
I had several people pm me or send me a note here and I advertised on facebook but they were people who I didnt know or were new members and I lacked confidence that I'd ever see the item.
You are a different story but about 6 hours to late. My stuff is ordered (new) from the ford dealership I retired from and Ive set up to have the black brembos powdercoated red as soon as I get them
Where was this post yesterday !!!! LoL

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,607 Posts
I had several people pm me or send me a note here and I advertised on facebook but they were people who I didnt know or were knew members and I lacked confidence that I'd ever see the item.
You are a different story but about 6 hours to late. My stuff is ordered (new) from the ford dealership I retired from and Ive set up to have the black brembos powdercoated red as soon as I get them
Where was this post yesterday !!!! LoL
Well hell, sorry Don.
My offer is open to anyone else. I like scotch which great currency with me.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Been told by my dealership the 13 14 Brembo calipers are national back order and won’t be available probably until mid June or July.

In reading literature and old posts on this forum, I know the 13 14 Brembos Our plug and play. I also know that GT Brembo Performance Brake calipers should be the same as the 14 GT500 caliper and plug and play which tells me those calipers should bolt up to my knuckle. Let’s take it a step further, the bullet caliper also is a A plug and play for those cars with the GT Brembo Performance Brake calipers.
So if you connect all the dots, shouldn’t the bullet Brembos be plug and play for my 07 GT500 knuckle and connecting points?
EditReport

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
280 Posts
I think the dots connect for you Don...

Mustang Bullitt Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Kit (15-20)

If it’s known that the 2015+ performance pack calipers will fit our cars and the LMR link states the Bullitt calipers fit all 2015-2020 Mustangs with Performance Pack Brembo braked except Shelby 350 models than I see no reason why it wouldn’t fit your car. The only variable is the non stock wheels your running.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think the dots connect for you Don...

Mustang Bullitt Front Brake Caliper Upgrade Kit (15-20)

If it’s known that the 2015+ performance pack calipers will fit our cars and the LMR link states the Bullitt calipers fit all 2015-2020 Mustangs with Performance Pack Brembo braked except Shelby 350 models than I see no reason why it wouldn’t fit your car. The only variable is the non stock wheels your running.
Correct

I believe the GT performance pack calipers will fit just as easily as a GT 500 13 or 14 calipers
How ever, the bullet calibers I might need a wheel space and if so longer studs and a new master cylinder

I will keep everybody posted

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The 13-14 6 piston calipers actually per cat monkey uses less fluid in the piston area so having a issue with the master cylinder shouldnt be a issue. They will give me much better braking and get me the color I desire.
Red calipers.
I don't think I ever said that. I know the surface area of the pistons is slightly less, but the volume of fluid displaced is largely a function on how far the piston travels. I probably calculated the 6 pot GT caliper too, but I'd have to find that spreadsheet to find that result. I feel like I have less pedal travel with the 13-14 brakes than I did with the OEM setup, but I also have braided stainless brake lines that could be responsible for some of that feel.

In any event, based on my research, all 10-14 uses the same master cylinder, regardless of power plant or brake package. I just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I don't think I ever said that. I know the surface area of the pistons is slightly less, but the volume of fluid displaced is largely a function on how far the piston travels. I probably calculated the 6 pot GT caliper too, but I'd have to find that spreadsheet to find that result. I feel like I have less pedal travel with the 13-14 brakes than I did with the OEM setup, but I also have braided stainless brake lines that could be responsible for some of that feel.

In any event, based on my research, all 10-14 uses the same master cylinder, regardless of power plant or brake package. I just wanted to throw that out there.
"I don't think I ever said that. I know the surface area of the pistons is slightly less,"

Your 100% correct , Nope you didnt. I interpreted what was stated by you above and gave my twist without reading exactly what you said. Learned a lesson today if your going too quote someone than copy and paste

What I read into Johns post was that the 6 piston brembos uses about the same amount of fluid as the OEM calipers and that I wouldnt have to worry about swapping out the 07 master cylinder. As john stated above the 07-09 GT500's use a different master cylinder than the 2010 -2014.

I would love to get the GT350R calipers but I would need over and above the kit, a master cylinder, wheel spacer and longer wheel studs.

Concentrating on either the 6 piston brembos or the GT performance pak 6 piston brembos or the bullet calipers

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just got off the phone with LM, they havent sold any bullet calipers to my model year but they are going to research this and get back to me

21 - 40 of 44 Posts