Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into the kit that allows you to put on the 6 piston brembos from the 13-14 model year to a 07 Gt500

From what I read ( I think ) all you need is the larger rotor and caliper.

The kits I have seen do the fronts and rears for about $1500-1800.

Has anyone done this yet??

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,058 Posts
Has anyone looked into the kit that allows you to put on the 6 piston brembos from the 13-14 model year to a 07 Gt500

From what I read ( I think ) all you need is the larger rotor and caliper.

The kits I have seen do the fronts and rears for about $1500-1800.

Has anyone done this yet??
Also interested to know this.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also interested to know this.
I'd be happy just to buy a set of used calipers and get a new set of rotors. I do know you need a new set of brake lines.
So the three parts I believe to do this are the calipers, rotors and brake lines.

I have no interest in the price tag of $1800 or a set of rear brakes

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres a good link on another forum that I frequent

·
Registered
2010 GT500, Kona Blue/White Stripes
280 Posts
Here’s another thread below regarding this upgrade on svtp...check out Rockauto for the 2015+ calipers. The 2019 Bullitt calipers would look right at home on your car!

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,860 Posts
There are a few different options to upgrade the front calipers and rotors on 07 to 12 cars.
1) The 13/14 model year 6 piston Brembo & 15” rotors is the easiest I believe (but last year I was not finding much availability on these). I recall about $2500 for the package for doing fronts and rears).

2) The 6 piston Brembo package from the 2015+ PP cars mentioned above would be a nice upgrade and likely the most cost effective.

3) 2015+ GT350 package. 6 piston Brembo’s & 15.5” 2-piece rotors. This is what I did last summer on my car. I love the upgrade and would do it again in a minute. Potential issue with this is wheels that won’t clear the massive GT350 calipers.

Here’s my thread for this upgrade:

Just a couple weeks ago I finished updating the rear rotors as well. Here’s my thread on that:

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the 13-14 brake upgrade. The 10-12 were the same as 07-09. You'll need new brake lines up front too.
so john you get the 6 piston Brembo’s, the 13-14 brake lines and as well as 13-14 rotors it’s a direct bolt on, correct?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Yes. The rear only needs a caliper mounting bracket, although there is an adapter out there, and the rotors. Rear calipers and pads are the same as the older cars. The axles need to be removed to install the OEM mounting bracket, but not the adapter.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. The rear only needs a caliper mounting bracket, although there is an adapter out there, and the rotors. Rear calipers and pads are the same as the older cars. The axles need to be removed to install the OEM mounting bracket, but not the adapter.

already did the rears with the adapter ... no issues for years. Think I will call the ford dealership I work at and see what my still current employee discount comes to for a set of these brakes.

Another option is I've looked through salvage yards and there pretty inexpensive

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did the 13-14 brake upgrade. The 10-12 were the same as 07-09. You'll need new brake lines up front too.
John

Did you upgrade your master cylinder. Alot of videos recommend it but those are on V6 and GT mustangs. Is the 07 GT500 master brake cylinder sufficent for the 6 piston brembos?

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I did not replace the master cylinder. From my research the 13-14 component was the same that was in my car. I can't say it's true of yours, but the rest of the brake system appears to be the same. I did some calculations on the piston volume and the 6 piston had slightly less piston volume than the 4 piston if I recall correctly. The real benefit is in the larger diameter rotor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
just wondering, while keeping the stock 18" 07-09 wheels:

• the 13/14 front brakes will likely not fit?!
  • rears might?!

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The fronts will not fit nor will they fit inside most 19" rims...20" are needed or move to the 13/14 rims. The rears will work though.
I have CS14 rims which are 20". on their web page this rim fits 05 to 20 mustangs no issue

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The fronts will not fit nor will they fit inside most 19" rims...20" are needed or move to the 13/14 rims. The rears will work though.
I had no problem with the 19" 11-12 SVTPP front wheel with the six piston caliper. I don't know that the caliper fitment was any tighter than the 4 piston, but I'm sure how the inside is tapered would determine if it works or not.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
getting contradicting info from FRPP. An engineer told me that as long as the 07-09 GT500's have the same knuckle and connecting points as a 2010, it will work.

Before I spend $1700 for brake lines, calipers and rotors, does anyone with a 07-09 GT500 already did this? I know cat monkey has done it but if memory serves me correct he has a 12.

I just want to dot my I's and cross my T's one last time

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The spindle is different in as far as the ball joint diameter is concerned between 07-09 and 10-14. Beyond that they are interchangable. The 4 piston Brembo calipers are the same from 2007 to 2012 down to the part numbers. You're overthinking this and talking to a bunch of phone moneys at FRPP that are clueless. Does this not say 2005 to 2014, qualified for wheels?

2005-2014 MUSTANG SIX PISTON 15-INCH BRAKE UPGRADE KIT

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The spindle is different in as far as the ball joint diameter is concerned between 07-09 and 10-14. Beyond that they are interchangable. The 4 piston Brembo calipers are the same from 2007 to 2012 down to the part numbers. You're overthinking this and talking to a bunch of phone moneys at FRPP that are clueless. Does this not say 2005 to 2014, qualified for wheels?

2005-2014 MUSTANG SIX PISTON 15-INCH BRAKE UPGRADE KIT
John your absolutely right that " I'm overthinking" this. Ive had too many people tell me this works. Even after I wrote this post, I called LMR and fulltiltboogie racing and spoke to James ( really nice guy ). Both companys confirmed THEY FIT THE 07 MODEL .

No more second guesing now its between two units. Having had a 17 GT350 and getting rid of the grey brembos and swapping them out for the reds .... looks wise incredible on my red 17 GT350. We all know the stopping power is second to none.
Its about $500 more for that set. I need to make sure that my CS 14 20" rim will clear the calipers and that my brake booster is up to the challenge.

My employee price for the new brembos, rotors, brake lines is about $1600 and I know I wont have a wheel clearance issue or a brake booster issue

John thank you for your patience and the many private conversations
19095285_10207275899614366_1298745505470585285_o.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so here is the final choice

on the brembos I'd only be getting the fronts
13 14 brembos.jpg
tilt boogie.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts