Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just found this site today and it seems like THE place to seek advice.

I was poking around the forums and couldn't find a previous post that answered my questions, so any and all advice is most welcome.

I just had a borla stainless steel cat back exhaust system installed on a 08 gt500. I am a little disappointed with the sound. Im looking for a deep throaty gurgle that sounds clear w/o drone. With the borla on it doesn't have a throaty rumble...the easiest way for me to describe the sound is a deep rice burner with a little rumble undertone.

People have mentioned several things to improve the sound. Let me know what yall think.

1. Aftermarket Cat, I checked magnaflow and couldnt find anything. Im from California so my options might be limited.
2. Headers...will these improve sound significantly? or are headers aimed more at performance.
3. I really want to keep the borla system since it was somewhat expensive......but would switching to bassani, flows, corsa, or some other cat back system reallllly make a huge difference?

Im looking for high quality parts from reputable manufacturers but I also want something that wont break the bank.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You may try removing the factory X and replacing that with an H pipe. they do this on the KR and they sound great.
Lee

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I just found this site today and it seems like THE place to seek advice.

I was poking around the forums and couldn't find a previous post that answered my questions, so any and all advice is most welcome.

I just had a borla stainless steel cat back exhaust system installed on a 08 gt500. I am a little disappointed with the sound. Im looking for a deep throaty gurgle that sounds clear w/o drone. With the borla on it doesn't have a throaty rumble...the easiest way for me to describe the sound is a deep rice burner with a little rumble undertone.

People have mentioned several things to improve the sound. Let me know what yall think.

1. Aftermarket Cat, I checked magnaflow and couldnt find anything. Im from California so my options might be limited.
2. Headers...will these improve sound significantly? or are headers aimed more at performance.
3. I really want to keep the borla system since it was somewhat expensive......but would switching to bassani, flows, corsa, or some other cat back system reallllly make a huge difference?

Im looking for high quality parts from reputable manufacturers but I also want something that wont break the bank.

thanks in advance!
This is a very subjective topic, but here goes.

KR (M-5230-S) axle backs hands down. I have had them for several months now and they sound better every day. I have them with the stock X pipe, but I have heard they also sound good with PHP's aftermarket H pipe. I have also heard good things about the SLP muffler deletes.

Keep in mind, that a Ford mod motor will never sound like an old small block Chevy or Hemi. I know the exact sound your looking for, (old school muscle). The KR's come as close as we can get I think.

Regarding headers, I have read many posts where they change the sound significantly (for the worst). Aftermarket cats will just make it louder from what I've read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts