Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission in a friends 08 GT500 makes a noise when the clutch is released and the transmission is in neutral, she has taken it to the dealership who told her they removed the transmission and found insufficient lube in the pilot bearing. I am an ASE Master Certified Tech, and have rebuilt numerous manual AND automatic transmissions over the years including 5 and 6 speeds. The noise in my opinion is the input shaft to mainshaft bearing or the input shaft front bearing, the noise is worse when the trans is in neutral sitting still and goes away when you push the clutch in. I haven't driven the car yet, she lives in another town, but I asked her to bring the car to me so I can drive it.
Just was curious if anyone else has had this problem?
Thanks,
Sid

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah...mine fuggin' does it when in neutral sitting still..push in the clutch...it stops...only 100 miles on it.:flame: I kind of thought if I ignore it that it will go away...not happening!:ack: Is it just an annoyance thing or is it a functional problem??

I also noticed and am not sure if this has anything to do with it. When in neutral it surges from 750-900 on a regular basis...at 750 rpms. it makes a chattering noise that seems to be coming from my idler pulley (I have the Evo stage II) at 900 rpms...no noise. The noise is noticeable inside the car and very noticeable outside of it...almost sounds like a diesel. Someone mentioned it may be a vacume leak on my Jlt cai.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The release bearing is called a CSC bearing. That is the Concentrick Slave cylinder. Mine had to be replaced. Here are some sound clips of the problem I had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, the noise from Grabbers sound clips sounds like what she's describing, like I said I haven't heard it. I'll try to get with her this weekend to listen to it. I'm familiar with the CSC bearing, it used to be called a throwout bearing or clutch release bearing I guess that was too simple.
It's funny how many noises and issues are "normal" until the car is out of warrantee around here. I've had problems with the dealerships myself, their favorite reply is "Couldn't duplicate the problem or issue".
Thanks again,
Sid

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My 07 tranny was replaced with an 2008 tranny, and I got this problem on day one. Ford had to pull the tanny and replace the CSC bearing and the problem / noise went away.

Let us know if it is the same problem. I know a few others that are having this same issue right now over on Team Shelby forums.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well good news...feel stupid thou! I have not touched any of the controls since I got the car. Yesterday I had it at a shop to get the windows tinted and they turned the defrost on and left the temp setting slightly in the "blue" zone and on the lowest fan setting....so every so often the a/c compressor was coming on thus the drop to 750 and the load noise on the engine. I didn't even look at the controls as I knew I hadn't moved them....what a dummy!:ack:

He did hear a little rattling in the tranny when on the lift (he was under it and had his head up close listnening...near the pressure plate. He said it is probably due to it not being under load etc. Does that sound correct?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well good news...feel stupid thou! I have not touched any of the controls since I got the car. Yesterday I had it at a shop to get the windows tinted and they turned the defrost on and left the temp setting slightly in the "blue" zone and on the lowest fan setting....so every so often the a/c compressor was coming on thus the drop to 750 and the load noise on the engine. I didn't even look at the controls as I knew I hadn't moved them....what a dummy!:ack:

He did hear a little rattling in the tranny when on the lift (he was under it and had his head up close listnening...near the pressure plate. He said it is probably due to it not being under load etc. Does that sound correct?
Glad it turned out to be a non-issue for you.

You will hear some gear roll noise from the tranny when it's in neutral with the clutch out. It's normal (per the owner's manual).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Glad it turned out to be a non-issue for you.

You will hear some gear roll noise from the tranny when it's in neutral with the clutch out. It's normal (per the owner's manual).
My guy also noticed some rattling in the tranny on take offs (low rpm take offs) only in 1st and 2nd gears. I did notice someone posted what looked like a bulletin in one of the old tranny threads that said this is normal too...is that the case??

Do 3.73's get rid of either of these?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
...but they are considered normal, correct? I'm getting myself all pumped up...:ack: :simmadown:
The gear roll noise in neutral is normal. Never heard of the rattling on take off.

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
462 Posts
Are you tlaking about clutch chatter? That can happen on take off if your not giving it enough gas or letting the clutch out too slow sometimes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree ...well said. It is typical with this type of clutch.
Nope. In one of Grabber's tranny threads someone posted a service bulletin type document from Ford...I'll try to find it. BTW...I am also hearing these noises more now due to the Tri-Ax as more noise is getting transmitted into the cockpit due to smaller isolators.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Nope. In one of Grabber's tranny threads someone posted a service bulletin type document from Ford...I'll try to find it. BTW...I am also hearing these noises more now due to the Tri-Ax as more noise is getting transmitted into the cockpit due to smaller isolators.
Nope to what ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts