Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. New guy here.. Been readin' page after page in all the subjects ..

I'm ready to purchase a GT 500... I can afford a pre-owned 2008 a new 2009 and if I really squeeze a 2010... My question is a 2010 worth the extra 40 horse new styled interior/exterior voice activation and so on ? Figure it'd be about 10K difference in price.. Will the same upgrades work on the 2010 meaning pulley swap/tune/cai and bring about 50 or 60 or rwhp ?...

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

I'm ready to purchase a GT 500... I can afford a pre-owned 2008 a new 2009 and if I really squeeze a 2010... My question is a 2010 worth the extra 40 horse new styled interior/exterior voice activation and so on ? Figure it'd be about 10K difference in price.. Will the same upgrades work on the 2010 meaning pulley swap/tune/cai and bring about 50 or 60 or rwhp ?...
Which do you prefer from a visual standpoint? That's the real question. Here are the reasons to buy a '10:

You get to use up the depreciation. Buy an earlier model and it's already depreciated, even if it's new in the showroom.

The suspension has been significantly tweaked on the '10. It's better, out of the box.

The interior is night and day different. In my opinion, the materials are tremendously better although I personally don't like the look of the dash. Again, what's your personal taste?

From a power standpoint, you can have more power than stock (540) with less than $1,000. A JLT intake and Evolution tune will net you about 505-510 REAR wheel horsepower (as opposed to the 540 FLYWHEEL horsepower in the '10).

I personally like the looks of the first generation GT500s better than the '10 (by the way, I think the '10 hood is just BUTT ugly, but if you look at my pictures you'll see why).

Personally, here's what I'd do:

Buy a late year build 2008 and get the discount on a new one...do not buy used. It's had the piss run out of it and worse yet, many times by people that have no idea of what they're doing....thus doing even more damage.

Spend-
$450 JLT intake
$450 Handheld tuner and performance tune (Evolution/Jon Lund)
$400 Metco 2.6" pulley/idler/TR6 sparkplugs
(this constitutes their "stage 2" pkg and will give you about 530 at the tires and about 625 at the engine....as opposed to 500 at the engine from the factory)

$500 3.73 Ford Racing gearset- includes installation
$1,200 BGF KDW tires in stock sizes. The stock Goodyear tires SUCK.

$400 J&M adjustable upper control arm and billet lower control arms.

$1800 Ford Racing SVT handling package (trust me)

$600 Installed Steeda Tri-Ax shifter (the Ford piece is crap. I've owned both. I have the Ford piece in right now. If I had the dough I'd replace it with the Steeda this afternoon. It's THAT much better. People that argue that haven't used both).

There ya go. You're at about $6,000.....$7,000 fully installed. You'll kick the snot out of anything but a SuperSnake or a modified Z06. All of your suspension will be adjustable (it won't be on a new '10).

Pocket the extra $3,000 you were thinking you'd spend or have your stripes painted on and get some visual goodies.

Oh....and while the late '08s and all '09s supposedly have the transmission issues ironed out, they don't. Make absolutely sure that your selling dealer is up to date on the issues, that they' have fixed one or two and that they are cool about dealing with warranty problems on modified cars. While the Magnuson Act says modifications can't specifically cause your warranty to be voided (they have to directly cause the failure), it's still a pain in the butt to deal with and can cost you thousands...if not 10s of thousands of dollars to fight it. This is of particular concern from a company that has had to replace and/or repair a ton of transmissions and that is strapped for cash and fighting for its life. Nothing against Ford....anyone would do the same.

Or, you can be "safer" and buy the '10. Your call. Good luck.

bj

·
Registered
547 Posts
From what I've read and the shows I've watched, the 2010 is much more of an upgrade than just the 40hp from the cai/tune. That is only the tip of the iceberg as supposedly the car is better balanced and handles even better than the previous years. However, they never did seem to fix the wheel hop issue from what I've read and seen.

All that aside though, people seem to either love or hate the new Mustang styling so for some it comes down to the body style. It kind of sounds like you prefer either style so get what you can afford and what suits you. If there's a certain color you just have to have, then that may dictate the year of car you might want.

As far as more HP, you'll have to step up to a custom tune at the bare minimum or do a pulley swap from the outset. You could certainly put a different cai on the car, but since it already comes with one, it would probably be a waste of money as I'm sure you wouldn't gain enough hp with another brand over the Ford one.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the 07/08/09 styling better on the outside and the updated interior on the 2010 on the inside.. I Think I'm gonna go with the late year 2008 build and add the modifications that you have listed... Thanks for all the info VNMOUS1 and cobramach1.. I think I'm going to give 1badsho a call and see if he can locate one for me... How would I know if its a late year build ?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nicely configured summary BJ, sums it up pretty well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
BJ,
It actually sounds like you have done one or two mods.
Good outline on how to proceed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
+1 BJ

Have a look at a 2010 in person first; the pics are kind of deceiving and make the rear end kind of look like that cute girl you meet sitting at a table until she stands up that is.....
In reality it does not look as chunky in person but my preference is definitely the 07-09 body lines....just looks meaner but all comes down to personal opinion....hell, Queen wrote a song about Fat Bottom Girls making the rocking world go round.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 what BJ said....I don't like the dirty diaper butt.:zlurking:

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
Just one or two.....three or four times, huh buddy?

Been there...done that....got the t-shirt.

bj

Ohhhh, my back....damn garage floor...:rofl:.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been trying to decide also. I have a 10' in grabber blue/white stripes on order but I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on an 09' Black w/Red appearance package. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke with Don today .. He's gonna get back to me Monday with what's available in the NY area..

·
Registered
22 Posts
The rear end of 10' isn't that great, however, the interior and front clip look great. My biggest problem is I hate the waiting period. I placed my order in February and production is allegedly going to happen July:( I hate to go the whole summer in Ohio without a ride.

Besides if I do an 09' I can justify the KB 2.8 Stage 3 from the get go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since you're in the NY area: Causeway Ford in Manahawkin NJ has 2 sitting on the lot (last Sunday anyway). One is Blue with White Stripes the other is White with Blue stripes. Think the White one has Nav.

That's where I bought my 08 last year (a little over sticker - wish I knew about this site back then). They were fine to deal with.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks... Do you know if they are '08 or '09 ?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Agree with most of the other guys. I have a 2009 Red Stripe Package, traded for 2010 Grabber Blue with White stripes. Read up on the changes on the 010' if you can afford one I would go with the latest and greatest. You can buy them for around $2000 over invoice. (I did)
Cobra2010:)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like the look of the 07-09 better.. I know the perfomance upgrade and it handles a little better but the original is just "meaner" front to back.. the new one will probably grow on me but not just yet...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I like the look of the 07-09 better.. I know the perfomance upgrade and it handles a little better but the original is just "meaner" front to back.. the new one will probably grow on me but not just yet...
There is some good bait on the '10 that may have me hooked. Mainly the interior, the gears, the wheels, and the handling tweaks. The power is just gravy. :banana_hitit:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts