Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put some new rear brake pads on 07 GT500 today-had to run to Harbor Freight Tools and grab a caliper tool set for $40. Kit has several different adaptors and a chart that tells you all the calipers it works on(many foreign and domestic cars). I used the #6 adapter plate (it fits the slots on the face of the pistons). Makes it a snap to reseat these pistons in the caliper bore. I noted both left and right side rear calipers turn clockwise to reseat-there are two "screws" in the kit-the one marked "Right" works on both sides of the car (ie, clockwise turns them back in). Other one is marked "Left" and I didn't use that one for this car. Probably has left handed threads for ones that reseat by turning counter clockwise. Forget that little $6 eight sided cube sold as a "rear caliper tool". May work for some cars but not this one.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I realized the same thing the first time I changed the rear pads. I thought the calipers simply pushed back and spent a couple hours and trips to auto store before I realized they 'screwed' back. Go figure! Bought the kit online for $30 after borrowing one from Autozone a couple of times. Can't change pads without it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
Went to NAPA yesterday in anticipation of doing mine. Ford specific part, 21.00. They had the universl cube, but I never priced it since they had the Ford tool in stock.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Put some new rear brake pads on 07 GT500 today-had to run to Harbor Freight Tools and grab a caliper tool set for $40. Kit has several different adaptors and a chart that tells you all the calipers it works on(many foreign and domestic cars). I used the #6 adapter plate (it fits the slots on the face of the pistons). Makes it a snap to reseat these pistons in the caliper bore. I noted both left and right side rear calipers turn clockwise to reseat-there are two "screws" in the kit-the one marked "Right" works on both sides of the car (ie, clockwise turns them back in). Other one is marked "Left" and I didn't use that one for this car. Probably has left handed threads for ones that reseat by turning counter clockwise. Forget that little $6 eight sided cube sold as a "rear caliper tool". May work for some cars but not this one.
I have no idea wtf you are talking about

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I realized the same thing the first time I changed the rear pads. I thought the calipers simply pushed back and spent a couple hours and trips to auto store before I realized they 'screwed' back. Go figure! Bought the kit online for $30 after borrowing one from Autozone a couple of times. Can't change pads without it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Totally wrecked a 2004 GT rear caliper with a C-clamp before figuring out the threaded action. Oops. Everything else I'd worked on up to that point was simply a push or clamp.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well worth the investment. I do work on other vehicles so the Harbor Freight brake kit works great for all brake jobs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The NAPA puck for 21.00 only turns the piston, it does not push it back in. I had to go to Autozone and rent the tool for free (60.00 deposit) to do the brakes this past weekend. Their's turns and pushes the piston in at the same time.
I had to get out the BFH tool and a 2X4 to get the damn rotors off though. The fronts were much easier.
I put a little grease on the hub so hopefully won't be so bad next time.

·
Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
1,060 Posts
I know this thread is old but I wanted to add that when using the tool if you use a pipe wrench to turn the handle it makes turning it a lot easier. Figured I would add this for someone searching it like me. 20170309_114615.jpg

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
I know this thread is old but I wanted to add that when using the tool if you use a pipe wrench to turn the handle it makes turning it a lot easier. Figured I would add this for someone searching it like me. View attachment 146545

Dang!:surprise: How much torque you put on that to bend it like that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For the love of God, please, nobody buy the dreaded 'cube of frustration' :silly:. Wasted my $$ and time the first time I did my brakes.

Renting the proper tool from AutoZone is good, but if you are doing brake jobs a couple times a year, drop the $35-ish buck keep it in your garage. Got mine from Amazon and couldn't be happier. Its seen plenty of use over the last several years.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I actually didn't do that. It was like that when I got it. Loaner tool from auto zone. Looks like someone was hitting it with a hammer.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I read that removing the brake fluid reservoir cap makes turning the caliper pistons much easier. I haven't confirmed it but I do recall mine were very difficult to turn with the cap on.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I read that removing the brake fluid reservoir cap makes turning the caliper pistons much easier. I haven't confirmed it but I do recall mine were very difficult to turn with the cap on.
I did have the cap off. It's not that it was super difficult to turn,just easier with the wrench. Especially once you got it started.

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
Just be sure to keep an eye on the reservoir because if it is somewhat full you could push fluid out of it. Really makes a mess and paint does not like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts