Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
07 GT500 HID conversion woes ** FINALLY SUCCESSFUL!!! :)

I ordered a 35W bi-zeon plug and play kit from http://euroeffects.net. This kit uses a magnetic solonoid to trigger hi/lo beam. The only down side is the H13 connectors are just pins you plug into the light socket.

The kit looks good with nice wiring harness. I hooked everything up correctly and everything seemed fine when I powered it up w/o starting my car (leaving it in ACC) and hi and lo beam works fine.

The moment I start my engine, the solonoid goes crazy and toggles back and forth between hi and lo bean. There is no flicker on the HID, just the magnet going hi and low beam in 1/2 second intervals.

When I switch to Hi-beam, the toggle stops and it becomes stable.

When I connect the HID plugs direct to the battery for testing, it is stable as well. The vendor says in this case, the HID is working fine and the problem is with my car. This is incorrect since when i used the halogen blub, everything works fine.

Hope someone can give me some guidance on how to resolve this. Is there some special requirements on the 07 GT500 that the HID kits need to support?

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I ordered a 35W bi-zeon plug and play kit from http://euroeffects.net. This kit uses a magnetic solonoid to trigger hi/lo beam. The only down side is the H13 connectors are just pins you plug into the light socket.

The kit looks good with nice wiring harness. I hooked everything up correctly and everything seemed fine when I powered it up w/o starting my car (leaving it in ACC) and hi and lo beam works fine.

The moment I start my engine, the solonoid goes crazy and toggles back and forth between hi and lo bean. There is no flicker on the HID, just the magnet going hi and low beam in 1/2 second intervals.

When I switch to Hi-beam, the toggle stops and it becomes stable.

When I connect the HID plugs direct to the battery for testing, it is stable as well. The vendor says in this case, the HID is working fine and the problem is with my car. This is incorrect since when i used the halogen blub, everything works fine.

Hope someone can give me some guidance on how to resolve this. Is there some special requirements on the 07 GT500 that the HID kits need to support?

Regards

What did the HID manufacturer say about it?;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sales manager claims he has never came accross this before. he also claims that he has sold to many Mustang owners with no issues. but my car is very new and has no mods at all. He claims there is a short in my car electrical system. :mad: :confused:

The halogen bulbs work fine when I swapped them back in. Also, when i directly connect the HID relay to the battery, it works fine as well. Almost seems as if when connecting the relay to the H13 socket (where the OEM bulbs plug into), it sends a pulse at low beam.

Any other had issues when installing HID to 07 GT500? The reason why I have not totally given up yet is:

1. The hi/lo beam works perfect when the engine is not running.
2. With engine running, the high beam is stable.

So perhaps there is just some simple solution. Or is the kit simply not compatible with our Gt500 electrics?

Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The vendor sent me a new set of harness. It looks rather similar but this one looks to be an updated version and slightly more solid.

The HID light is now working superb.

I am happy with the after sales suppport of this vendor and the kit looks really nice. I recommend this vendor for the GT500. :)

http://www.euroeffects.net

If you call, say Douglas referred you and make sure they give you the updated harness. Ask for Joseph the sales manager.

Read below, the kit failed again after 1.5 weeks! Waiting for them to sent yet another kit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am happy everything worked out for you. i am currently negotiating with this company euroeffects to be a distributor, and will be able to offer anyone thats interested great pricing on group buys, and even single purchases. better price then you can get buying direct from them. I have seen this issue many times on mustangs, and i already have a solution for it, but i would like to switch my product line to euroeffects, and wanted to make sure they also had a solution for this problem which is how i found this forum doing a google search on euroeffects just to see if they have a good rep, and i see they do. I don't like to sell garbage. This confirms what i needed to know about them. Thank you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I did not update the latest SAGA to my HID conversion.

The new Harness worked fine for only 1.5 weeks. Then the system defaulted to only high-beam.

I called the rept and the guy over the phone did not seem very interested. He asked me to ship everything back and said they will send me a replacement. When I asked what if the new kit is fails again as I already spent a good chunk of $ in shipping charges. The Rept said if it does not work again, sent it back for a refund.

I am still waiting for the replacement kit but last I called, they said they would ship out this week.

It appears that their kit is not very reliable, and they appear to have a few alternate harness and relay systems. As each time the system fails, they sent out a different kit. I presume that they do not send out the top grade stuff till customer has returned 2-3 times. :(

Will report back when I get the replacement kit.

Regards

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem is the car. you can argue that halogens work fine. but the thing is 90% of the cars on the road now have a constant 12v power signal going to the headlights at all times even if the bulb goes out. Now a few of the newer car 05 and up (ford, chrysler, mercedes,bmw) has a computer that controls the lighting, and if that computer sees less resistance or more then it should at that headlight connector, it starts to pulse the voltage really fast. HID kits require a constant 12v power supply to work properly. a lot of the HID kits on the market now has ballast that compensate for this problem.But being that you have a hi lo moving type kit the ballast cant compensate because its not getting powered directly fromt headlight connectors, the relay is. if you order the single bean kit you would not have any problems because the ballast that they use is really top quality. but the high low kit uses a relay controller, and it appears as though they have not created a harness with the proper resistors. please keep us updated.

That kit from therpmstore is low quality stuff i have tried kits from that manufacture before, and had too many comebacks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
CarKingsllc

You seem to have good experience on HID for 05+ mustangs.

Since you are now dealing with Euro Express as a potential supplier, can you please discuss with them on the electric requirements of the newer cars and the type of kit they need in order to have reliable Bi-Xenon support. So far, my experience with Bi-xenon kits is very spotty. The single xenon kit is also not an option, as it is dangerous not to have high-beam support on the car. It is also illegal if the police conduct a check.

E.g. My kit worked for only 1.5 weeks, but I note that the high-low beam toggle degraded over this period and it the lag got longer. Finally, the relay just failed and did not respond to high-low beam toggles.

When I want to discuss this with the Euro Effects rept, he got really annoyed, uncooperative and tried to avoid the discussion. All he insist is to send the kit back and they will replace it. But this does not help me very much since the shipping keeps adding up for me. :(

Hope you can help since you are a potential reseller, and get them to be more responsive towards Mustang customers. BTW, my car is a 07 GT500.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts