Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I've never viewed the different Mustangs as options, I've looked at them as trims (V6/GT/Bullit/Mach 1/GT350/GT500/etc). Then, within each trim, there are various options available. Ford even designates different packages and available options for each Trim. One can't get a 5.8 Supercharged Engine Option on their GT Performance Package just like you can't get a 2.3 Ecoboost in a GT500. It all may be semantics.

2020 Mustang Order Guide

Yes, I'd bet the same amount of money, Don, that the Cobra R will show that it was one of the 234,567 Mustangs made in 2000 on the top line. Goose has not denied that and what he's eluding to is that as a Trim selection/availability, the Cobra R was produced to only 300 Total. This is what has made the 2000R as one of the most sought-after cars on the market, and the price reflects it.

Sure, it's cool to know that our GT500 may have been optioned differently than other GT500's, but at the end of the day, they're all brothers/sisters with different looks, in the tens of thousands. Not many cars can say that they only have 300 brothers, even if they are twins. @Goose17 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these are more rare than your R: 12 Most Rare Cars
Well said Nick! (y)

It’s kind of like the “Your Car Is Not A Cobra” thread... I’ve laid out the details. Some stay entrenched in their stance... so it’s time for me to just smile and wave!:)?

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
2012 GT500
60 Posts
I agree with y’all but it is nice to know, from a personal perspective, how many are “just like yours”!!

I had a Redfire Metallic 2004 coupe that somehow ended up with the 2003 interior color. Didn’t make it more valuable but it was cool to know that!! Everyone always told me I was wrong and it was a 2003 until I showed the the window sticker. I never did actually verify if they truly did one color insert for 2003 and a different for 2004. But unless someone before me changed it that’s what it had.

So, anyone willing to help me figure mine out based on the options I posted above!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I agree with y’all but it is nice to know, from a personal perspective, how many are “just like yours”!!

I had a Redfire Metallic 2004 coupe that somehow ended up with the 2003 interior color. Didn’t make it more valuable but it was cool to know that!! Everyone always told me I was wrong and it was a 2003 until I showed the the window sticker. I never did actually verify if they truly did one color insert for 2003 and a different for 2004. But unless someone before me changed it that’s what it had.

So, anyone willing to help me figure mine out based on the options I posted above!!

I agree, it’s nice to know how many others are optioned like yours. I’ve never tried to break down my 2011 beyond the 123 Kona Blue coupes with Oxford White Stripes. I’m not sure you can connect the dots across various columns without having to get a Marti Report Mike.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,786 Posts
Ok, to go back to the original post and these reports. I have the print out of the 2012s and can’t figure out how to break it down. Is someone willing to help an idiot out? I have a 2012 stripe delete race red with Recaros, PP, Navi. Can anyone help me figure that out?
The data sheets Ford provided leave a bit to be desired. There's no way to determine, from them, how many were produced with a specific combination of options. To do that, you need a Marti Personalized Statistics Report.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
609 Posts
There is one aspect the most rare or the most produced model both share. The looks you get from kids as you pass them, the comments at the gas station complimenting your car, and the dip-shits who redline their engine as you pass them by as some sort of display of machismo or for the ladies Fe-machisMo

not to be too terribly rude, but our cars say Shelby or Cobra on them (not both Tim, I know the difference) and THAT is what makes the car special. I see a lot of mustangs around, but very few Shelbys.

but I am a simple person and should be taken with many many grains of salt.

just my .02

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
There is one aspect the most rare or the most produced model both share. The looks you get from kids as you pass them, the comments at the gas station complimenting your car, and the dip-shits who redline their engine as you pass them by as some sort of display of machismo or for the ladies Fe-machisMo

not to be too terribly rude, but our cars say Shelby or Cobra on them (not both Tim, I know the difference) and THAT is what makes the car special. I see a lot of mustangs around, but very few Shelbys.

but I am a simple person and should be taken with many many grains of salt.

just my .02
I completely agree Dave!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,771 Posts
My R is 1 of 5 sold in Canada. The only thing that separates those 5 cars is a decal in the driver’s side door jam that states the car is a competition vehicle for use on a closed course only. If I posted my car was “1 of 5,” the other 295 00R owners would get a chuckle.
Curious, which would be more rare ? Your 1 of 5 Canada car, or a 1 of 295 US spec car ??

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,088 Posts
I remember in the mid sixties you could order a base model vehicle and then check the option block for the largest and most powerful engine available or any factory option available for that car! Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, and I'm sure some others, made it possible to do that! You had some very unique cars come off the production line, as a result. Some of these made great dragstrip cars and the manufacturer's even made special competition cars for that purpose. Today you have to buy into option packages, car model, etc. to get one thing you want and six others that you don't !
I know in the mid 70's when BMW's were relatively new to the US market, customers would want a different colored interior or seats for the BMW they were buying, and the dealership would oftentimes switch out the interiors to satisfy the customer! I guess that made your car unique!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Ok, to go back to the original post and these reports. I have the print out of the 2012s and can’t figure out how to break it down. Is someone willing to help an idiot out? I have a 2012 stripe delete race red with Recaros, PP, Navi. Can anyone help me figure that out?

To go to Gooses comment about you could go online and find 10k+ cars to buy I kind of agree with that. But most people want something specific! I wanted Race Red stripe delete with PP and Recaros. I didn’t care if it had Nav or not. When I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago I searched nationwide and found 2. One with Nav and one without. I bought the Nav car because it had lower miles and overall better condition. So in that aspect the rarity is a factor, IMO!
So looking for a specific year, with specific equipment, ( using the word option bothers some of the members ), you could only find ( 2 ).........................out of thousands built ?
The word rare, ( rarity ), should never be used to describe any GT500 built between 2007 & 2014, uncommon would be a better choice.
I found ( 2 ) 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R's for sale this morning, must have been some of the 295 US spec cars, didn't have any numbers on them.
...................Interesting how you stumble on things while looking for other things.
So looking @ the window sticker on this " R " below, VIN - 1FAFP47H9YF223290

It lists the base price as $ 27,605.00, under the optional equipment you find " R " competition option $ 23,840.00 !!

Some of the comments made in this thread:

" You are trying to compare apples to oranges Don. You are attempting to draw a parallel between a Cobra R “option” as you call it and say a color on a 2014 GT500. You also list total number of all Mustangs made for the year, which is irrelevant. "
" Cobra R is not a selectable “option” you simply check when ordering a Mustang in 2000. It is its own car. Same with a 2014 GT500... this isn’t an option to select on any of the 134,345 Mustangs like you would when choosing a color. "
" Marti is lumping all the different Mustangs model lines together for that year and then breaking yours down as far as possible with every selectable option. This is purely gee-wizz trivia. A collector might say: “This car is 1 of 1 as optioned,” but no collector in his right mind would ever say: “This car is 1 of 1” when there are thousands of others in circulation. "
What I've learned from this thread:
Options are & always were what make a car rare.
Documentation trumps BS, it's not what you type, it's what you can prove.
Marti has the Ford contract for a reason...

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So looking for a specific year, with specific equipment, ( using the word option bothers some of the members ), you could only find ( 2 ).........................out of thousands built ?
The word rare, ( rarity ), should never be used to describe any GT500 built between 2007 & 2014, uncommon would be a better choice.
I found ( 2 ) 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R's for sale this morning, must have been some of the 295 US spec cars, didn't have any numbers on them.
...................Interesting how you stumble on things while looking for other things.
So looking @ the window sticker on this " R " below, VIN - 1FAFP47H9YF223290

It lists the base price as $ 27,605.00, under the optional equipment you find " R " competition option $ 23,840.00 !!

Some of the comments made in this thread:

" You are trying to compare apples to oranges Don. You are attempting to draw a parallel between a Cobra R “option” as you call it and say a color on a 2014 GT500. You also list total number of all Mustangs made for the year, which is irrelevant. "
" Cobra R is not a selectable “option” you simply check when ordering a Mustang in 2000. It is its own car. Same with a 2014 GT500... this isn’t an option to select on any of the 134,345 Mustangs like you would when choosing a color. "
" Marti is lumping all the different Mustangs model lines together for that year and then breaking yours down as far as possible with every selectable option. This is purely gee-wizz trivia. A collector might say: “This car is 1 of 1 as optioned,” but no collector in his right mind would ever say: “This car is 1 of 1” when there are thousands of others in circulation. "
What I've learned from this thread:
Options are & always were what make a car rare.
Documentation trumps BS, it's not what you type, it's what you can prove.
Marti has the Ford contract for a reason...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
This thread reminds me of,.............fairy tale called The Emperor’s New Clothes..

·
Registered
2012 Kona Blue SVTPP GT500
179 Posts
The MARTI report is really nice. With that said, mine is far from rare at 1 of 38. But I have a one of one as my VIN is only one of one. Sorry I couldn’t help myself. :ROFLMAO:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well, I guess Don got frustrated since I he can’t get me to engage in his fight here, so he took his battle to the Cobra R section on svtp. I have a thread over there about the Cobra R being 20 years old.

Don, get outside and get some sun. It helps during this lockdown... it makes everything better!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I recall, Ford wanted Cobra R Mustang owners to put their cars out to be seen on the track and not stored in garages. Therefore, the purchase required that the buyer had some racing certification, like SCCA. This made it more exclusive and not a simple option list purchase.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If I recall, Ford wanted Cobra R Mustang owners to put their cars out to be seen on the track and not stored in garages. Therefore, the purchase required that the buyer had some racing certification, like SCCA. This made it more exclusive and not a simple option list purchase.
Of the 3 years of Cobra Rs, I believe that was true for the 107 1993 cars as well as the 250 1995 cars. This was not a requirement for the 300 2000 cars.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,088 Posts
You are exactly right. Ford required purchasers to have a competition license in order to buy one of these cars.

·
Registered
2013 Mustang GT Deep Impact Blue. 1962 Mercury Monterey Desert Frost 390/300hp
369 Posts
I’ve been following this thread and it’s interesting with the different opinions. Great to be an American ??. I know my ‘13 GT isn’t rare but my modifications made it unique and that’s all I need. That’s just me?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I remember the OP stating at least once that the " R " wasn't an option,............until documentation showed otherwise.
...................People on 2 sites have the OP's #..

41 - 60 of 66 Posts