Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
38 Posts
I wasn’t so sure the blower was ported when I read the post. I thought he was saying just the elbow was ported to matched up nicely with the OE Eaton mouth.
This is correct. Only the opening is ported to match the elbow. Mine is stock.
Colin has the ported blower. His is the TVS.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,396 Posts
This is correct. Only the opening is ported to match the elbow. Mine is stock.
Colin has the ported blower. His is the TVS.
Frankly, I wouldn’t bother with the injectors at this point, and then you are in the zone where a canned tune would be just fine. Otherwise you will be spending additional money for putting in the injectors, and I just don’t think you will notice a difference. I ran a similar setup as you for years. 2.5”, ported elbow, 123 CAI, and dual 65 TB on a VMP tune. They leave some AFR on the table to be safe. Even when I jumped up to the Gen2, BAP, and injectors I ran an updated tune from VMP until I put it on their dyno at SF19. At that time they tweeked the AFR from being too rich to a point that still left me running in the safe zone.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Vette_vs_Stang
If I was in your shoes, I would wait until I did a blower swap, pretty steep $$$ output for not a huge increase in HP.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Now if you looking some good parts, I know a guy maybe able to help you out :cool:

I am trying to work a deal on a new car :)

Colin

·
Registered
2008 GT500 Convertible
38 Posts
That’s pretty much what I came here asking for. It was weird to me that Tyler wants me to spend another $650 on equipment for a generic tune. He is also telling me to get a BAP now. So I wanted to see if anyone else was getting that kind of push from Lund and saw this thread where Colin mentioned the nGauge Tyler told me to get. I’m only getting a bigger intake.
I only got Injectors because I’m gathering parts slowly for future mods and they were super cheap. If they can’t be added fine. I’ll just wait til later. I just assumed they’d be a simple add on, so I figured I’d throw them on now. My end goal is just a trinity swap, anyway. I don’t want the kind of power a gen2,whipple, or KB will give me. I’ll never use it or be able to put it down. The only reason I can put this power down is my vert is so damn heavy lol. I don’t race anyway and I don’t wanna be constantly buying drag radials. Never been to the drag strip 👀

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just messaged with John Nardi (good guy)
He advised me to get the 3.5 bar also as boost would be critical on my build as @Catmonkey mentioned and would need the info going to the nGauge.

I totally get why and I will get Lund to tune it as I know it will be dead nuts, your setup on the other hand (Lund new policy)

Colin

·
Registered
235 Posts
The blower porting isn’t the issue, nor is the elbow.
If the maf values aren’t changing, I do not think this is a huge deal. You can take off your gen2r and put a 3r on tomorrow and not need a retune unless you’re boost is drastically changing, and even so for the most part is cooked into the tune.
If you guys used Lund to your advantage and asked questions, you would find out quite a bit.
They just don’t want to tune blind because it’s not worth the risk. When they can do 100 coyote guys that can datalog in the same time it takes to screw with an 07-09 GT500 guy that doesn’t want to spend money to datalog, they probably trying to wash their hands of it.
I can assure you they can afford to be picky with who they tune and under what circumstances.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
The blower porting isn’t the issue, nor is the elbow.
If the maf values aren’t changing, I do not think this is a huge deal. You can take off your gen2r and put a 3r on tomorrow and not need a retune unless you’re boost is drastically changing, and even so for the most part is cooked into the tune.
Blower porting shouldn't be an issue, but the MAP sensor is only used for one thing... to measure boost or vacuum. Why would you need to log boost if you have no way to measure knock or a/f mixtures? Perhaps they are trying to reduce customer volume, or sell MAP sensors.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honestly I don’t think they care that much about boost levels. They will probably do without it. maf load is what matters.
Considering the package has a wideband, they are measuring afr. Knock is moot.
They make nill on those parts. They aren’t a parts company they are a tuning company.
They don’t want to sell you parts. They just make suggestions on what makes their job easier and your car being done better/quicker.
They make money in volume and setting records, not selling a couple map sensors a year.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Honestly I don’t think they care that much about boost levels. They will probably do without it. maf load is what matters.
Considering the package has a wideband, they are measuring afr. Knock is moot.
They make nill on those parts. They aren’t a parts company they are a tuning company.
They don’t want to sell you parts. They just make suggestions on what makes their job easier and your car being done better/quicker.
They make money in volume and setting records, not selling a couple map sensors a year.
I've been tuning for 20 years. What's on your resume?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What does that have to do with anything that I said above?
I simply stated what I know of the subject. Not sure what brought that comment on like you took offense to something.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
What does that have to do with anything that I said above?
I simply stated what I know of the subject. Not sure what brought that comment on like you took offense to something.
I am not speaking for @Catmonkey, but from my reading a number of your posts, you are coming across as aggressive and arrogant. There’s a lot more experience around here than you apparently think, and basically you have been saying it’s your way or it’s wrong, which sure isn’t helping foster a dialogue on here.

I’ll leave it at that, and you can decide if that makes sense if you reread your posts.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
@Vette_vs_Stang
If I was in your shoes, I would wait until I did a blower swap, pretty steep $$$ output for not a huge increase in HP.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Now if you looking some good parts, I know a guy maybe able to help you out :cool:

I am trying to work a deal on a new car :)

Colin
I agree Colin. I just don’t see a benefit for the injectors right now, but put them on a shelf for use later on works.

And Joe, I wouldn’t turn down a Gen2 if you come across one for the right price. It’ll generate as much power as I read that you want, and it won’t generate crazy heat like your stock Eaton will if you spin it up. Read the mods in my sig, and you’ll see I am not spinning my Gen2 that fast and have pretty much all the power I can use with my current suspension and tire setup. I could move to a 2.5 or 2.4 pulley and up my octane with an octane booster (only 91 octane pump gas here in Idaho), but I don’t feel the need for the extra 30-50hp right now. Point is I would suggest a 13/14 TVS, a Gen1 VMP, or a Gen2 VMP would all serve you well when you are ready.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am trying to help you. I know some of the guys at Lund personally.
Take it as you wish. I just won’t comment anymore on the forum. It seems like guys get mad when you provide different data than they like to hear.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I am trying to help you. I know some of the guys at Lund personally.
Take it as you wish. I will comment anymore. It seems like guys get mad when you provide different data than they like to hear.
Folks here don’t tend to have a problem listening to different opinions and ideas. A little humility goes a long way. Glad you have a friendship with Lund, and while they are certainly good at tuning, their way isn’t the only way. Same thing with your ideas, yours are not the only way like you suggest. You’ve thrown the “cheap” dart at folks that don’t subscribe to your concept of modding, and I would submit there are A LOT of success stories coming from BJ, VMP, and others who are absolutely nothing like a Bama tune!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just messaged with John Nardi (good guy)
He advised me to get the 3.5 bar also as boost would be critical on my build as @Catmonkey mentioned and would need the info going to the nGauge.

I totally get why and I will get Lund to tune it as I know it will be dead nuts, your setup on the other hand (Lund new policy)

Colin
Did you end up having to get the boost sensor? I have a 2010 that has a Lethal Performance power pack (2.5 pulley, CAI and canned Lund Ngauge tune).I was going to add a wideband so I can eventually do a remote tune with Lund. I used Lund with my 2.9 Whipple 2012 Mustang GT and it ran great. They did not require boost PSI while datalogging. I'm just curious how this turned out for you.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Did you end up having to get the boost sensor? I have a 2010 that has a Lethal Performance power pack (2.5 pulley, CAI and canned Lund Ngauge tune).I was going to add a wideband so I can eventually do a remote tune with Lund. I used Lund with my 2.9 Whipple 2012 Mustang GT and it ran great. They did not require boost PSI while datalogging. I'm just curious how this turned out for you.
you will need to get the ZT-2 & 3.5 Boost sensor & the ZT-2 to NGauge cable.
The ZT-2 reads AFT onto your nGauge so no need for the AFR Wideband.
End of the day your tune will be dead on, just cost a bit more nowadays to get there on the 07-10 cars wanting a Lund tune.

Colin

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
I am about to start some mods on my 08 vert,(she is completely stock).
My mod list:

VMP Gen2r (ported)
VMP Twin 67
ID1050x
KB BAP
OR-H-pipe

I have used Lund Racing in the past with the nGauge and they did a great job (09 & 11 GT500), I was all set to get another tune and advised I need these 2 items to tune 07-10 cars (I have been out of the loop for a while,I didn't know this).

1)ZT-2 Advanced Data Logging System With Cable
2)3.5 Bar Boost Sensor

Obviously this is to tune the car safely and get a dialed in tune, BUT $500 USD ($700 cdn) added to the tune that I don't want to put out (tight a$$ :cool: ).
Plus, being in Canada getting the parts maybe an issue right now??

My nGauge was licensed to Lund Racing,a little back and forth with John Nardi (good guy) and they gave me permission to get E-Motion to remove the licensing, now the nGauge is HP Tuners & I can get a different tune from a new Tuner.

I chatted with VMP this morning & I can use my nGauge with their tune, the guy I chatted with seemed very knowledgeable and told me exactly what I needed (2 HP Credits $49 & tune $499 )
MY problem is, I used VMP about 5 years ago and I was not happy with the tune & dropped them to get a Lund tune.

I have read that VMP has new staff and would like to hear from guys that have used their tunes lately.

Anyways,
Any suggestions on a tuner that uses the nGauge?

I need an Email tune as no Tuner/Dyno near me (I live in the bush).

Cheers
Colin

View attachment 199491 View attachment 199492
Colin']

I use VMP solely for my tune and of course go fast parts. Living in Florida and being 3 hours away doesnt hurt either
I too have the Ngauge and use it solely for monitoring the motor.

engine temps
IAT2'a
volt ouput
and speed of all things. Its easier to see the digital display than to look at the dash

You might want to consider boost a pump too

Hope all is well in Canada

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Colin']

I use VMP solely for my tune and of course go fast parts. Living in Florida and being 3 hours away doesnt hurt either
I too have the Ngauge and use it solely for monitoring the motor.

engine temps
IAT2'a
volt ouput
and speed of all things. Its easier to see the digital display than to look at the dash

You might want to consider boost a pump too

Hope all is well in Canada
Hey Don,
things are not to bad up here, as long as I dont watch too much news 😂😂
Hope things in sunny Florida are going okay.
KB BAP is in the list.

stay safe eh 😁

cheers
Colin

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Hey Don,
things are not to bad up here, as long as I dont watch too much news 😂😂
Hope things in sunny Florida are going okay.
KB BAP is in the list.

stay safe eh 😁

cheers
Colin
Always stay safe

Good to hear from you

·
Registered
42 Posts
you will need to get the ZT-2 & 3.5 Boost sensor & the ZT-2 to NGauge cable.
The ZT-2 reads AFT onto your nGauge so no need for the AFR Wideband.
End of the day your tune will be dead on, just cost a bit more nowadays to get there on the 07-10 cars wanting a Lund tune.

Colin
I planned on the ZT-2 for AFR but was wondering why the boost reading. They must have changed things since my last remote tune with my 2012. Didn't need boost readings for that.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts