Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for some experience / input.

I like the oem 18" wheels but would prefer chrome.
as far as I recall they were not offered oem in chrome, just painted silver or black.

"back in the day", I guess 2007 until a few years ago American muscle and likely others too offered chrome replicas.
I don't see them anywhere new anymore.

seen them on pictures from members here, what is your experience with them, quality or else?

where they available in different sizes?
want to be sure they clear the front brembos.
if not I can keep an eye on used ones in general, if they came in different sizes I may need further detail to id the proper fit.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,061 Posts
I don’t have 07-09 chrome wheels, but I’ve been running American Muscle chrome AMR wheels on my car for about 7 years. I am a big fan of shiny chrome wheels. Chrome is much easier to take care of versus polished aluminum. I just hit my wheels with a Swiffer Duster and periodically I hit them with Windex.

If you can’t find aftermarket chrome versions, don’t rule out buying a used set of wheels and having them chrome plated. You could have the seller send them directly to a plating company to minimize shipping costs. Just be sure the wheels aren’t messed up before spending $ to have them plated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t have 07-09 chrome wheels, but I’ve been running American Muscle chrome AMR wheels on my car for about 7 years. I am a big fan of shiny chrome wheels. Chrome is much easier to take care of versus polished aluminum. I just hit my wheels with a Swiffer Duster and periodically I hit them with Windex.

If you can’t find aftermarket chrome versions, don’t rule out buying a used set of wheels and having them chrome plated. You could have the seller send them directly to a plating company to minimize shipping costs. Just be sure the wheels aren’t messed up before spending $ to have them plated.
actually real polished aluminum wheels are rather rare and usually aftermarket.
any factory wheels that are "polished" (I. e. the ones on 05-09 mustangs like cs or Shelby gt or c6's) are generally painted (silver) and/or clear coated.
so as far as cleaning, detailing the same as any other body parts.

as far as cleaning, I just replaced the oem brake pads with hawk hps, dust be gone, like day and night.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,061 Posts
actually real polished aluminum wheels are rather rare and usually aftermarket.
any factory wheels that are "polished" (I. e. the ones on 05-09 mustangs like cs or Shelby gt or c6's) are generally painted (silver) and/or clear coated.
so as far as cleaning, detailing the same as any other body parts.

as far as cleaning, I just replaced the oem brake pads with hawk hps, dust be gone, like day and night.
Yes, I am aware the factory wheels are painted. I was just saying that aftermarket polished wheels are not fun to keep looking good. Polished aluminum gets nasty water spots.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Do you mean these wheels?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I had the 07-09 style chrome 18" wheels from AM and found the quality to be excellent. I think they were only offered in 18".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the 07-09 style chrome 18" wheels from AM and found the quality to be excellent. I think they were only offered in 18".
yup, saw an old for sale ad of yours when you offered them here.

they have a slightly different offset (stock +45mm, repros +50mm) which i doubt makes any difference in fitment with orig tire sizes.

i was wondering if they came only in one size as my concern is clearing the brembos in front.
the used set i found had been installed on a 2007 GT.
all the specs (from the old box they came in), 18x9.5, etc match the gt500 oem wheel specs except the above mentioned offset.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
yup, saw an old for sale ad of yours when you offered them here.

they have a slightly different offset (stock +45mm, repros +50mm) which i doubt makes any difference in fitment with orig tire sizes.

i was wondering if they came only in one size as my concern is clearing the brembos in front.
the used set i found had been installed on a 2007 GT.
all the specs (from the old box they came in), 18x9.5, etc match the gt500 oem wheel specs except the above mentioned offset.
No problems clearing the factory 07-09 Brembos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts