Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lingering ATF Smell

2007 - 2014 
1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Catmonkey 
#1 ·
Once again I turn to all you experts for some help.

A couple weeks ago I had my clutch swapped and I noticed an ATF smell in the car afterwards (man it stinks). After a few days I traced the problem to small spill on the trunk floor mat (i.e. the one with the particle board under it from the factory). Must have happened during transport.

I removed the trunk mat/floor from the car (working on cleaning it and airing it out), but now, 4 day later, I still have a lingering ATF smell in the car (though not as bad) :crying:. I have cleaned the whole interior and febreezed a couple times but it keeps coming back. I even used a hose to clean under the car in case there was a small spill I couldn't see there. I don't see a spill anywhere else.

Could it have gotten embedded in the carpet or seats just from being in the air? Any thoughts or suggestions on removing it?

#2 ·
You might not like this suggestion, but it's your best bet.

Do a complete detail of your interior. Wash (with soap and water) all floor mats and carpeting in your car - EVERYTHING. Then wipe down all of your leather seats with a leather cleaner. Pay special attention to your trunk cover/floor mat.

If it STILL stinks, take out your trunk floor mat completely and let the car sit (or drive it) for a few days with no trunk floor mat. That will help you pinpoint where the smell is coming from.

John

#3 ·
Thanks John,

I have had the trunk mat out for 4 days already (and daily drive it with the windows down), hence my concern. I did wash the floor mats (removable ones) and wiped down the interior with simple green. I haven't tried a leather cleaner yet, or shampooing the built in carpet. I will do that next.

-Tom
't

#7 ·
Ok, starting to go nuts

I have removed all carpet from the trunk, wiped down all hard surfaces with simple green, brushed baking soda into all carpeted areas and vacuumed out the whole car. I also let it sit with doors and truck open for most of a day to air out and (while improved) the smell is still there, especially first opening up the car after it sits.

I even put plywood under the car while I went on vacation to check for any leaks (none that I could see).

Am I doomed to a stinky car forever?

#8 ·
Maybe try some kind of odor absorbing product...not sure how well they work.

Might also try putting some filter bags of coffee to see if they will make it better/tolerable...

At least coffee might smell better...

Worth a try...sorry for your troubles!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Maybe try a professional detailer and see if they have any suggestion. What was the source of the ATF, the throw out bearing?

I'd take all that fabric stuff out of the trunk and leave it outside for a while and see if it clears up in the cabin. Put a piece back a time to figure out what pieces are the problem and consider replacing them.

#13 ·
Maybe try a professional detailer and see if they have any suggestion. What was the source of the ATF, the throw out bearing?

I'd take all that fabric stuff out of the trunk and leave it outside for a while and see if it clears up in the cabin. Put a piece back a time to figure out what pieces are the problem and consider replacing them.
I had the clutch replaced and had them put in new ATF at the same time (I bought it and brought it to the garage to make sure they used Mobile 1).

While driving to the garage a small amount of it spilled (from a new/sealed container) in the trunk.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.