Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can you install a MGW shifter on jack stands? Yep

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  my monster 
#1 ·
I can't say it was easy but then I never have done things the easy way. LMAO
The install took a few hours. I didn't drop the tranny mount and getting the shifter arm clips and the shifter itself out was a bitch. Putting it back together was a breeze. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet but will report back tomorrow along with some pics.

Oh! I set it at 5 turns out. I thought about swapping the DS out but the car was only a foot off the ground and I couldn't get a good swing with the torque wrench. A project for another day.

Monster

#4 ·
My recommendation is, unless you're a masocist, doing an oil change or lower control arms, find a lift. I'm a skinny bastard and still had a hard time getting under there. I went ahead and changed the oil while I had her up in the air. That was quick and easy.

#8 ·
Holy hell, I know it is a subjective thing but the difference between the stock shifter and the MGW shifter is significant. A shifter is usually the first mod I have ever made to my Mustangs and for good reason, I don't like the "stirring oatmeal" feeling of the stock equipment. The MGW feels more connected, more precise, more stout, and just "right". The throw is shorter, requires a bit more muscle to shift, sixth is a little bit more of a pain in the ass to find (operator still getting used to a six speed), gear whine is negligible, grabbing second is easier as is third and fourth. Overall I am very impressed with the MGW shifter and would highly recommend it.

#9 ·
Try the the tranny on a blue stone driveway. Then again before my four post lift that was the norm. Those were the days. The ones never to repeat:)

#10 ·
I would not even think of doing anything else on jackstands on my car. :( I changed the tranny fluid, and manual pumped the Mobil1 ATF back in... pain in butt. Me no likey... garage + lift rulez.... adding to my bucket list. :)

That and the fact that it takes 30 damned minutes just to get the car up on jackstands, and at the same time worrying if its going to fall off one while you jack up the other side. :(

#11 ·
I would not even think of doing anything else on jackstands on my car. :( I changed the tranny fluid, and manual pumped the Mobil1 ATF back in... pain in butt. Me no likey... garage + lift rulez.... adding to my bucket list. :)

That and the fact that it takes 30 damned minutes just to get the car up on jackstands, and at the same time worrying if its going to fall off one while you jack up the other side. :(
This, watching it almost look like its going to tip is nerve racking enough.

#12 ·
I am thinking about using my SVT wheels & GYs as stands under the wheels. Saw someone on here doing that.

Also thinking about pulling the tigger on one of these shifters.

#16 ·
Dark Shadow: I haven't noticed any additional vibration at speed with the shifter at 5 turns out, some increase in mechanical noise ie "thunk" shifting from gear-to-gear that I fully expected from a more solid piece. No whine to speak of, just solid throws. I'd do it again...only this time on a lift or at least the Shelby a little further in the air.

Jsk: no broken parts if I can help it. Lol

Still trying to figure out how I got the stock shifter to come out the bottom vice through the hole in the cabin like the directions said it "should". Never do it the easy way, there's just no fun in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.