Model year 2007 - 2014 ‘68 GT500 barn find up for auction. - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
General Discussion General Discussion about the Ford GT500

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Dude!

Garage
‘68 GT500 barn find up for auction.

As soon as I saw the picture in the article, I knew I had seen this car at the Legacy Bank Shelby/Mustang Show in Plano TX. The big mud dauber nest stuck to the driver’s window was a giveaway.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/barn-fi...frozen-in-time

I took these pics a handful of years ago:

BLKwRD14 likes this.

Tim

(First names in signatures makes this place more personable!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
Re: ‘68 GT500 barn find up for auction.

That's gotta be tough leaving it in 'barn find' condition … would be very tempting to at least clean it up and drive it more, enjoy some local shows and listen to it run through the gears (even owner-added manual gears)
MrMax likes this.

Greg

"... a man has got to know his limitations ..."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM
DFW Shelby Queen!

Garage

I remember this car.
Goose17 and OMB like this.

2010 Shelby GT500 #256 of 3532 and #59 of 523 in Grabber Blue. VMP Gen II TVS, VMP Twin Jet 67mm throttle body, Grabber blue JLT 123 CAI, 56 lb. injectors, Ford Racing headers, VMP dual fan triple pass heat exchanger, JLT battery, brake and fuse box covers in Grabber blue, BPS polished fuel rails, BPS polished coil covers in Grabber blue. Totally Smurfed out!!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:21 AM

Yuk. I am no longer excited about filthy barn finds. Don't want to restore it? Fine, wash and wax it and get it mechanically perfect. Then drive and enjoy it.

I would love to have one of the seller's birds tho.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	185535  
blackcad55 and MrMax like this.

Michael
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Yuk. I am no longer excited about filthy barn finds. Don't want to restore it? Fine, wash and wax it and get it mechanically perfect. Then drive and enjoy it.
You and me both... Not to mention that this car had lost its original driveline somewhere along the way..

So what the heck are you "preserving", other than some past owner's neglect?

These dirty barn finds are compelling and exciting when they're discovered. But post-discovery, when the owner decides to "leave it that way", it's just kind of a pathetic freak-show to me, a ploy that is more about getting attention, rubber-neckers, than it is about saving history.

Thirty years ago, a famous and beautiful young actress goes missing... Just disappears.

Thirty years later, she is discovered. She was kidnapped, shoved into a dirty out-building with a dirt floor, and left there with only the bare necessities for survival.

The person who finally discovers her though... Does not liberate her... He doesn't even allow her to bathe... Nope, he puts her in a cage, and rolls her out on display at county fairs and parades so that the public can gasp, and jaw-drop, and revel in the enigma of what was once a wealthy and beautiful star, now aged, older and in such a ragged/desperate shape.

Discovering a rare/valuable old relic in a barn or shed is ALWAYS compelling and interesting and exciting to me. I can even understand the desire to not cosmetically restore or alter (even though I have my own thresholds of when to restore, and when to leave alone).

But mud-dobber nests and dirt and filth? That I don't get whatsoever, that equates to "freak show" to me.

A car is a car, and cars start, run and drive. At bare minimum, just as 2112 suggests, you clean her up and get mechanically sorted. At maximum, it's a great restoration project.

2011 GT500 SVTPP Silver, stripe-delete, glass roof, accessory side scoops and techno-geek package

Mods: VMP TVS, 2.4" pulley, VMP elbow, CJ dual-65mm TB, res-delete, AFCO H/E.

660.42 rwhp, 641.74 rwtq

Dyno results were with old 2.59" pulley and before the AFCO H/E...

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 08:39 AM

Good Lord!

At least run it through a $3 car wash, take it to MAACO and have it sprayed... and drive the piss out of it!
blackcad55 likes this.

Ken
RLTW

'08 Vista Blue Vert
A few Mods
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Dude!

Garage

I pretty much agree with the sentiment above. However, what’s great about cars is we all have different tastes. Whether it be wheels, stripes, color, mods or in this case DIRT, we each take our cars in directions that suit us. Having seen this car in person, I can attest that the dirt most definitely drew attention that an otherwise clean but run-down ‘68 GT500 would not have. There were quite a few GT500s from that era in the show that all looked fabulous and this one in all of its “dirt glory” was an attention getter. I don’t think this car was registered and driven around like that. It was simply taken to shows for the “barn find shock” effect and it worked.

I personally couldn’t handle the dirt in my garage and would be compelled to clean the car to the Nth degree, but I respect what the owner was doing and enjoyed seeing the car in its current state. I couldn’t tell you any details about the other 60s GT500s I saw at the show, but I definitely remembered this one.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
I pretty much agree with the sentiment above. However, what’s great about cars is we all have different tastes. Whether it be wheels, stripes, color, mods or in this case DIRT, we each take our cars in directions that suit us. Having seen this car in person, I can attest that the dirt most definitely drew attention that an otherwise clean but run-down ‘68 GT500 would not have. There were quite a few GT500s from that era in the show that all looked fabulous and this one in all of its “dirt glory” was an attention getter. I don’t think this car was registered and driven around like that. It was simply taken to shows for the “barn find shock” effect and it worked. I personally couldn’t handle the dirt in my garage and would be compelled to clean the car to the Nth degree, but I respect what the owner was doing and enjoyed seeing the car in its current state. I couldn’t tell you any details about the other 60s GT500s I saw at the show,

but I definitely remembered this one.
Hey I have a really great IDEA !!!

Bring that R to SF and we can all help in making it look like this Dirt Shelby, Then you will be able to take it to car shows and have it forever 'definitely remembered'...

03reptile likes this.

Last edited by 'cause; 04-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:51 AM
DFW Shelby Queen!

Garage

I talked to this guy at the Legacy Shelby show and asked him when he was going to restore it. He said I’m not. I just said ok then and moved on shaking my head.

2010 Shelby GT500 #256 of 3532 and #59 of 523 in Grabber Blue. VMP Gen II TVS, VMP Twin Jet 67mm throttle body, Grabber blue JLT 123 CAI, 56 lb. injectors, Ford Racing headers, VMP dual fan triple pass heat exchanger, JLT battery, brake and fuse box covers in Grabber blue, BPS polished fuel rails, BPS polished coil covers in Grabber blue. Totally Smurfed out!!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 12:38 PM

I guess he can't leave it out in the rain. It must go back to the barn on inclement days.
2112 and kazman59 like this.

2012 performance white stripe delete - kinda sorta stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in