2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
SpeedyMike SpeedyMike is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
SpeedyMike is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Does anyone own or have seen a 2011 GT500 with a 4L whipple SC? I am told you need a special Engine lowering kit or a custom hood similar to the Cobra Jet?

I am planning on purchasing the 2012 GT500 and will be more than likely adding the 4L to it before driving it.

notables:
-GT500 will have the SVT package
-Need to decide on which long tube headers and X pipe/axle back combo
-Pulley swap necessary?
- Will a new fuel pump be required to run the 4L whipple?
- Im only doing this mod to beat every Comaro and z06 on my block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:25 PM
alansvt alansvt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11
alansvt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

4L really? ummm I think that may be to big for a stock block and a waste of money...

Just pick up a 2.9 Whipple....

Yes I would pick up new injectors and at a minimum get a a boost a pump........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Seldoon Seldoon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dale City Virginia
Posts: 7,341
Seldoon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMike View Post
Does anyone own or have seen a 2011 GT500 with a 4L whipple SC? I am told you need a special Engine lowering kit or a custom hood similar to the Cobra Jet?

I am planning on purchasing the 2012 GT500 and will be more than likely adding the 4L to it before driving it.

notables:
-GT500 will have the SVT package
-Need to decide on which long tube headers and X pipe/axle back combo
-Pulley swap necessary?
- Will a new fuel pump be required to run the 4L whipple?
- Im only doing this mod to beat every Comaro and z06 on my block.
Well the Ford Racing Performance Product (FRPP) whipple comes with an upgraded fuel pump which they tell me they can install by removing the back seat. And with a supercharger it should come with its own pulley so not sure why a pulley swap should be needed or headers for that matter. The FRPP supercharger upgrade supposedly gets you to 750 hp and the Camero has 425 so again not sure why you would need headers. Sounds like overkill to me unless you are gunning for that, supposedly coming, Camero Z28 which everyone hopes will be light as a feather and sport, at a minimum the Cadillac 556 HP engine. The C05 Z06s only made 405 horsepower so seems like they should be easy to beat.

Funny though about the Camero Z28. I've noticed over the years that GM always seem to give the Cameros a lower horsepower engine that they would give to the Corvettes. So not sure how they could come out with a Camero making 556+ horses while the stock vette makes 430 horsepower?!

Anyway good luck in beathing those GM cars. I like to beat them also if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Shelby10''s Avatar
Shelby10' Shelby10' is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 533
Shelby10' is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Unless the Corvette is getting a boost in HP
__________________
2014 Grabber Blue w/ Black Stripes GT500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Need For Speed's Avatar
Need For Speed Need For Speed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 343
Need For Speed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMike View Post
Does anyone own or have seen a 2011 GT500 with a 4L whipple SC? I am told you need a special Engine lowering kit or a custom hood similar to the Cobra Jet?

I am planning on purchasing the 2012 GT500 and will be more than likely adding the 4L to it before driving it.

notables:
-GT500 will have the SVT package
-Need to decide on which long tube headers and X pipe/axle back combo
-Pulley swap necessary?
- Will a new fuel pump be required to run the 4L whipple?
- Im only doing this mod to beat every Comaro and z06 on my block.
To be able to run the 4.0 whipple on your car safely, you'll need to spend around $10K-$15K in upgrades + the blower cost!!

And the sad thing is cars with less HP will kick your ass all day long
__________________
2008 GT500 708/658 Mods/2.9 Whipple & smaller pulley/Whipple 123mm CAI/65mm Cobra Jet TB/3.5 Drive Shaft /drive shaft loop/FR3 SVT handling pack 1.25 inch drop/Super Snake shifter/Super Snake Borla mufflers/105 lb injectors/KB BAP/Nitto 295/45/18 rear/Ultra High Performance Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 255/45/18 front ( Seattle lots of rain )/Moroso tanks/AFCO heat exchanger/KR brake cooling kit,Roush upper CA.
Best run 1/4 10.201 @ 140.16mph 60'1.403, slowest with F'1 tires 12.7 @ 127.44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 AM
SpeedyMike SpeedyMike is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
SpeedyMike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Need for speed, please explain what upgrades you are referring will be needed for the 4L whipple.
I thought the 2011/12 cobra 5.4L came with forged internals? I'm assuming 730rwhp to be sum what safe.

Also your last comment which is keeping me awake at the current moment
"And the sad thing is cars with less HP will kick your ass all day long"

Are you referring to wieght being an issue? If so I understand where you are heading with that comment, which leads me to my next question, what are some ways that you can shed weight on the 2011/12 gt500.

Thanks for your posts everyone,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Need For Speed's Avatar
Need For Speed Need For Speed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 343
Need For Speed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyMike View Post
Need for speed, please explain what upgrades you are referring will be needed for the 4L whipple.
I thought the 2011/12 cobra 5.4L came with forged internals? I'm assuming 730rwhp to be sum what safe.

Also your last comment which is keeping me awake at the current moment
"And the sad thing is cars with less HP will kick your ass all day long"

Are you referring to wieght being an issue? If so I understand where you are heading with that comment, which leads me to my next question, what are some ways that you can shed weight on the 2011/12 gt500.

Thanks for your posts everyone,
Yes all the GT500's 07-11 have forged internals BUT if you read the fine print it states with the 4.0 whipple internal upgrades needed!!
The 4.0 makes way to much boost for a stock GT500 motor like 22-25lb you'll need a better bottom end !! Safe limit on stock GT500 motor 17-18lb boost !!

To rebuild the motor $5000-$6000 then more cooling mods $1500-$1800 , drive shaft $1000, fuel pumps,injectors, $1500-$2000, Exhaust upgrades $1000-$3000,Throttle Body & better CAI system $1500, 4.0 Whipple $4700., Real brakes $2000-$4000, Suspension kit $1500-$3500, hand held tuner + tune time $600. And I'm sure I'm missing something!

And after all that you'll still have issues getting that power to the ground
__________________
2008 GT500 708/658 Mods/2.9 Whipple & smaller pulley/Whipple 123mm CAI/65mm Cobra Jet TB/3.5 Drive Shaft /drive shaft loop/FR3 SVT handling pack 1.25 inch drop/Super Snake shifter/Super Snake Borla mufflers/105 lb injectors/KB BAP/Nitto 295/45/18 rear/Ultra High Performance Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 255/45/18 front ( Seattle lots of rain )/Moroso tanks/AFCO heat exchanger/KR brake cooling kit,Roush upper CA.
Best run 1/4 10.201 @ 140.16mph 60'1.403, slowest with F'1 tires 12.7 @ 127.44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 AM
SpeedyMike SpeedyMike is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
SpeedyMike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need For Speed View Post
Yes all the GT500's 07-11 have forged internals BUT if you read the fine print it states with the 4.0 whipple internal upgrades needed!!
The 4.0 makes way to much boost for a stock GT500 motor like 22-25lb you'll need a better bottom end !! Safe limit on stock GT500 motor 17-18lb boost !!

To rebuild the motor $5000-$6000 then more cooling mods $1500-$1800 , drive shaft $1000, fuel pumps,injectors, $1500-$2000, Exhaust upgrades $1000-$3000,Throttle Body & better CAI system $1500, 4.0 Whipple $4700., Real brakes $2000-$4000, Suspension kit $1500-$3500, hand held tuner + tune time $600. And I'm sure I'm missing something!

And after all that you'll still have issues getting that power to the ground

Need for speed, you are starting to make a little more clear sence. I'm sure to use all the potential of the 4L I would need to back it up but I will assume more upgrades in the future would get me there, so why buy a smaller blower if I'm going to need the 4L in the future?

I only plan to tune the boost to around 19-20ps and reach a goal of 725-730 rwhp, is it overkill to go with the 4L and have to get the lowering kit etc? Or can I make 19-20psi and 725 to the wheels with a 2.9? And how mush less or more stress does it make between using the 4L or 2.9L?

Assume Tb, CAI and custom scat tune is going to be installed regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
GT Premi GT Premi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 825
GT Premi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Yes, you can make 19 - 20 psi w/ the 2.9. I have the 2.9 and am making 19psi with a 3" pulley. The wheel HP you're wanting is easily within reach of the 2.9. Save some money. I believe a 2.85" pulley will get you 22psi with the 2.9, and you can order the kit with that pulley already installed. I'd stick with the 2.9 and not have to worry about lowering the engine or getting a new hood or moving the engine forward.
__________________
'11 GT500 Kona Blue/Silver
FRPP 750HP Whipple 2.9L
FRPP SCJ mono-blade throttle body
Kincaid Perf. Killer Chiller
Revan Racing I/C reservoir
MGW shifter
Eibach Prokit springs/dampers/camber bolts
BMR boxed subframe connectors, UCA & mount, adj. Panhard & brace, A-arms, K-member, radiator support, LCA relo brackets
Bob's LCAs
CHE A-arm support w/ torque limiters
DSS carbon fiber driveshaft
Boss 302 rear seat delete/x-brace kit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 AM
SpeedyMike SpeedyMike is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 7
SpeedyMike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Premi View Post
Yes, you can make 19 - 20 psi w/ the 2.9. I have the 2.9 and am making 19psi with a 3" pulley. The wheel HP you're wanting is easily within reach of the 2.9. Save some money. I believe a 2.85" pulley will get you 22psi with the 2.9, and you can order the kit with that pulley already installed. I'd stick with the 2.9 and not have to worry about lowering the engine or getting a new hood or moving the engine forward.
Great! thanks for the feedback Premi.

What kinda Hp are you making? and with what mods?

I would assume a larger TB, Injectors and fuel pump would be minimum requirements to upgrade at 20psi.

Here are my plans, please comment on what you think of each upgrade ie mandatory/waist of money.

#1. 2.9L Whipple
#2. 65MM-75MM TB ? Not sure who makes a good TB any ideas?
#3. Dual Fuel pump? FRPP or any other high per brand pump?
#4. Crusher CAI inlet
#5. 3 aluminum FR Drive shaft
#6. SCT-3 Hand Held & custom tune with 3 settings

Without going to the 4L I will save huge on lowering kit and it sounds like just a big waist of money for power I wouldnt be able to use.


Thank a ton for your feedback guys. It feels good when you get some good advice before dropping 60-70k...haha

BTW I am selling one of those 2008 Saleen Racecraft 420s (1of31) for a steal if anyone is interested.

SpeedyMike-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got my VIN for a 2012 GT500 Vert cnaimo General Discussion 9 01-15-2011 01:38 AM
2012 GT500 Are they going to produce the car? GregS General Discussion 35 12-05-2010 11:39 AM
2007 shelby gt500 mods how fast quarter mile eaglestrokermotor Performance Modifications 13 11-03-2010 05:50 PM
2012 Shelby GT500:will we see new doors ? UncleRon Performance Modifications 10 06-19-2010 06:19 PM
EVO recommended MODS for 2010 - Need real world feedback AVIATOR Performance Modifications 4 09-03-2009 08:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide