Painting stripes - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion General Discussion about the Ford GT500

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 PM

Colleton is on a distinguished road
Default Painting stripes

I'm looking at having the stripes painted on and re-spraying the clear coat over the entire car.

Estimate price is $2,100. I figure this is probably a little on the high side, but don't really know. The shop is reputable and gives a lifetime warranty on the paint job. They claim to use top quality paint, not the cheap stuff that will look bad after a few years. Bumpers, etc... will be removed and painted separately then reinstalled after drying.

I'm ready to do this because my car is black and was covered in swirlies from the dealership's "detail" people before I ever bought it (it was outside on the lot for months). I've been going insane trying to minimize the swirlies, and I've about had enough of it. At this point it's either re-spray it or trade it on a 2010 in any color except black. If I'm going to re-spray the clear coat, I might as well get the stripes painted on.

My car is black with alloy stripes, but I'm considering having red stripes painted on instead of alloy. I just like the look. If I have the stripes painted red I'll probably have the red cobras and SHELBY lettering installed as well. What do you think, would this be a bad thing to do? If so, why?

Any thoughts, advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 AM

07Ebony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Painting stripes

Have you already had it looked at by a high end detail shop? I've seen some incredible results on black cars that were neglected for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

VNMOUS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleton View Post
I'm looking at having the stripes painted on and re-spraying the clear coat over the entire car.

Estimate price is $2,100. I figure this is probably a little on the high side, but don't really know. The shop is reputable and gives a lifetime warranty on the paint job. They claim to use top quality paint, not the cheap stuff that will look bad after a few years. Bumpers, etc... will be removed and painted separately then reinstalled after drying.

I'm ready to do this because my car is black and was covered in swirlies from the dealership's "detail" people before I ever bought it (it was outside on the lot for months). I've been going insane trying to minimize the swirlies, and I've about had enough of it. At this point it's either re-spray it or trade it on a 2010 in any color except black. If I'm going to re-spray the clear coat, I might as well get the stripes painted on.

My car is black with alloy stripes, but I'm considering having red stripes painted on instead of alloy. I just like the look. If I have the stripes painted red I'll probably have the red cobras and SHELBY lettering installed as well. What do you think, would this be a bad thing to do? If so, why
Any thoughts, advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks!
First of all, $2100 is about $1000 too cheap. No, I'm not kidding.

Second, to do the stripes, they'll have to rough the clear anyway and reshoot parts of it. Any custom shop will be able to get everything to match up without re-clearing the car. There's actually a good amount of clear on them from the factory. The "detail" goobers would have had to go DEEP into it to really screwed it up.

Finally, the biggest problem with having anything painted on a solid (non-metallic) car is matching the orange peel. It's not a flaw in painting. It's there for a reason. It gives flat, solid colors a source of light refraction. Take a black or a torch red car and flat-sand it. It'll take all the orange peel off but it'll look like crap. The color will just "lie there". It's a common practice on show cars but people spend every minute of their days polishing and waxing them.

After they shoot your stripes on they'll need to make sure that IF they re-apply clear that it's uniform with the rest of the car.

The good thing about it being the top of the car is that there is the natural break from top to side. You MAY want to consider using the factory tape stripes on the lowers if it's a daily driver. Cheaper to replace pieces due to rock chips, etc than to have them re-painted.

Try this. Go to a paint supply store or perhaps a body shop and get a sample of 3M Hand Glaze. Since you're going to have them painted on anyway, find an area on your hood (like near the cowl) where you can see the swirls. Use an applicator BY HAND in back and forth motions. Do not let it dry. Use a soft (microfiber is good) cloth to keep rubbing it til it's gone.
See if it helps the swirls. Your cuts may be too deep for the hand glaze, but it's doubtful that they're too deep to have them removed with compound and then a glaze.

Enjoy your ride and happy holidays.

bj
Cellular (from cell only) **BJVMP (send)
bj@vmptuning.com

2007 GT500 Coupe #478
747rwhp/744tq VMP GEN II TVS
All mods available from www.vmptuning.com
Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 AM

07Ebony: That's probably worth a try, assuming that I can locate a high end detailer here in the Florida panhandle. I'll look into it, thanks.

VNMOUS1: Good info, thanks. I've tried Meguiar's Show Car Glaze (both by hand and using a 6" buffer) with no good result. I'll have to look for some of the 3M product. It is a daily driver, and I'm planning on having a Ventureshield clear bra (thanks to Grabber for the great write up and pictures on that product) applied to the front of the car whether it gets painted or not.

I can't decide what I really want to do. Probably the best decision is to try a good detailer first, then go with the clear coat respray if I'm unhappy with how that turns out. I'm worried that 6 months after I have it resprayed the swirlies will be back. This is my 1st black car and it is driving me crazy.

If I do have the stripes painted, they'll stay alloy though. I'm decided on that, at least.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

VNMOUS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleton View Post
07Ebony: That's probably worth a try, assuming that I can locate a high end detailer here in the Florida panhandle. I'll look into it, thanks.

VNMOUS1: Good info, thanks. I've tried Meguiar's Show Car Glaze (both by hand and using a 6" buffer) with no good result. I'll have to look for some of the 3M product. It is a daily driver, and I'm planning on having a Ventureshield clear bra (thanks to Grabber for the great write up and pictures on that product) applied to the front of the car whether it gets painted or not.

I can't decide what I really want to do. Probably the best decision is to try a good detailer first, then go with the clear coat respray if I'm unhappy with how that turns out. I'm worried that 6 months after I have it resprayed the swirlies will be back. This is my 1st black car and it is driving me crazy.

If I do have the stripes painted, they'll stay alloy though. I'm decided on that, at least.
The 3M stuff is completely different.

Remember, you'll have to have your car sanded down past the clear coat to re-shoot it. I'd suggest a very high end paint shop rather than a detailer to see if it can be taken out before going to the hassle and expense of sanding it down.

As for a clear bra..PLEASE do not use one of those on a car that's been repainted within the past 12-18 months. You'll be really sorry. Paint breathes. Clear bras, regardless of what they tell you, don't. At least not enough. I saw one a couple of weeks ago on a Lexus (done at a high end shop where they did my tint) and it had absolutely demolished the paint. Mold!

bj
Cellular (from cell only) **BJVMP (send)
bj@vmptuning.com

2007 GT500 Coupe #478
747rwhp/744tq VMP GEN II TVS
All mods available from www.vmptuning.com
Old 12-05-2009, 12:52 PM

SVT_SRT is on a distinguished road

The price of a black car lol. Ive had great results with turtle wax rubbing compund on my swirls and scratches.

I first use meguiars swirl x, the rubbing compound, then tech-wax.

You will always find swirls or marks on black (or any dark color.)
Old 12-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNMOUS1 View Post
...As for a clear bra..PLEASE do not use one of those on a car that's been repainted within the past 12-18 months...
Good point, thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 03:20 PM

JFH is on a distinguished road

Sn8kbyt turned me onto Wizards products (www.Wizards.com) I love the Mist and Shine and the Polish. I have not one swirl or scratch on my 09. And to boot it is a stripe delete so all you see is the black paint. Try to refrain from using a buffer on black paint, that will cause swirls. Always do it by hand in a back and forth motion never in a circular motion (like an electric buffer). This will help prevent swirls. Lastly, if you must use wax (I almost always just use polish) I use a product called Collinite. Great stuff leaves a brilliant shine and you only need to use it once a year (www.Collinite.com). A friend of mine gave some to me and I don't believe it can be purchased at the retail stores ie: Auotzone. He had his friend who owns a Cadillac dealership order it for him. No doubt black is a gigantic pain in the butt to keep clean but when it is all shined up nothing looks better.

Good luck
James

Last edited by JFH; 12-05-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:26 PM

jcobra is on a distinguished road

Find a detailer that uses menzerna products. I used them myself on my black 03 when I had it. People would stop me at car shows to find out why my black car looked so good. I bet I could have your car looking better than new in 1 day.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Detroitboy is on a distinguished road

Find a local "high end" detailer. He will tell you if he can straighten it out after an initial inspection and possibly a free trail on a small area of it.
And after you get it done don't even consider going thru a car wash again. I take mine to the quarter wash and blow dry it with a leaf blower. It only gets a micro fiber rag put on it to wipe off the drips from the mirrors and for the spray detailer after the wash.
Its a DD, but only in good weather, so it does'nt get mud thrown on it. Its hard to keep a black car swirl free if it gets driven in rain because that fine dirt scratches the heck out of the paint when you wash it even by hand.

You don't own a black car...it owns you.
Basinni 3" stainless exhaust with resonators and no cats to flowmaster 40 dual chamber mufflers
Misc. Shelby trim pieces, Shelby documentation and plaque, shaker 1000, HID head and fog lights, FRPP alum. rear end girdle, MGW shifter, AFCO dual pass H/E with electric fan, JLT oil catch cans, BMR UCR, WOT box, DSS carbon fiber driveshaft blah blah blah....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.