3.55 vs 3.73 vs 4.10 Gear/Speed/RPM Spreadsheet - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM

TX STIG is on a distinguished road
Default 3.55 vs 3.73 vs 4.10 Gear/Speed/RPM Spreadsheet

I threw together a spreadsheet that helps me compare the RPM's and MPH for each gear to help me decide on which gear ratio I want to go with, and thought it may be helpful for others to see as well.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the motor stock with the exception of a VMP tune and "maybe" a set of headers, and put the rest of my nickels and dimes towards a Griggs GR40 suspension - but it won't be anytime soon.

If that's the route I go, then I'm thinking the 4.10 gears will give me a little more kick in the pants over the stock 3.55 gears, and still return decent RPM's while on a long road trip.

Specs below are for a 2010 GT500 with 26.85" tires (stock)...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 08:15 PM

07Ebony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3.55 vs 3.73 vs 4.10 Gear/Speed/RPM Spreadsheet

I have two acquaintances with GT500's and they installed the 4.10 gears. They both agreed that it was too much. It made first gear almost useless and even second gear was hard to keep the tires planted and maintain a straight line when launching hard.

We have members on this site that do like the 4.10's but I believe that to run with them and maintain control when you plant your right foot that you will also need to mod the rear suspension.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 AM

I'm still on the fence on which way to go as I'm afraid I won't feel a lot of difference with the 3.73. I also know if a lot of power mods are done it's better to stick with the stock gears.

Having said that, I was talking to my son's basketball coach on this very topic as he's a professional engineer that fabricates race cars for a living. He said anyone can get in a car and nail it, but it's the good driver that understands throttle control, and he recommended 4.10's all day long (especially with 5th and 6th being overdrive gears). Of course his opinion is like an asshole, everyone has one.

I remember my first street-legal motorcycle was a Ninja ZX9-R (this was well over a decade ago) and it was the first production bike to break into the 9's in stock form. Many people thought I was nuts starting off on such a powerful motorcycle (and many people thought I was nuts for even having a motorcycle), but I made myself respect the throttle and everything turned out fine. No way that bike would run a 9 second 1/4 mile under half throttle. However, once the bike was underway and rolling along in 3rd or 4th it was a huge grin factor to feel it blast from 50 to 120, and that's sort of what I'm shooting for with the GT500.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Supporting Vendor

VNMOUS1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX STIG View Post
I'm still on the fence on which way to go as I'm afraid I won't feel a lot of difference with the 3.73. I also know if a lot of power mods are done it's better to stick with the stock gears.

Having said that, I was talking to my son's basketball coach on this very topic as he's a professional engineer that fabricates race cars for a living. He said anyone can get in a car and nail it, but it's the good driver that understands throttle control, and he recommended 4.10's all day long (especially with 5th and 6th being overdrive gears). Of course his opinion is like an asshole, everyone has one.

I remember my first street-legal motorcycle was a Ninja ZX9-R (this was well over a decade ago) and it was the first production bike to break into the 9's in stock form. Many people thought I was nuts starting off on such a powerful motorcycle (and many people thought I was nuts for even having a motorcycle), but I made myself respect the throttle and everything turned out fine. No way that bike would run a 9 second 1/4 mile under half throttle. However, once the bike was underway and rolling along in 3rd or 4th it was a huge grin factor to feel it blast from 50 to 120, and that's sort of what I'm shooting for with the GT500.
3.73s if you're only on the street with stock tire height.

4.10s if you're going to race it and use a taller (28") tire. My 4.10s with a 26.25" tire bang the limiter at the line (at 6,500-6,600 rpm) on a great pass.

28's will drop it down to around 4.00 and will be perfect.

Hope this helps

bj
Cellular (from cell only) **BJVMP (send)
bj@vmptuning.com

2007 GT500 Coupe #478
747rwhp/744tq VMP GEN II TVS
All mods available from www.vmptuning.com
Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 PM

I spent almost the entire day driving the car around in the country and must say I really enjoyed the way it's geared (my first short road trip with the car). Too many people have said 4.10's are too much unless you're drag racing it (which I'm not doing), so I'm going to take the advice and leave it alone.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.