Oil ? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2006, 05:51 AM
ATL54 ATL54 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
ATL54 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil ?

Curious what engine oil y'all are using or planning to use? I'm getting ready to do the first oil change @ 500 miles. Not sure where to get a fully synthetic oil with the recommended viscosity? Dealer?

ATL54 Performance White/Vista Blue coupe delivered 9/7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 AM
shlbysvt's Avatar
shlbysvt shlbysvt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,391
shlbysvt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL54 View Post
Curious what engine oil y'all are using or planning to use? I'm getting ready to do the first oil change @ 500 miles. Not sure where to get a fully synthetic oil with the recommended viscosity? Dealer?

ATL54 Performance White/Vista Blue coupe delivered 9/7
I have not received my Shelby yet but in preparation I just purchased Castrol. I had a hard time finding 5/50 but Auto Barn was the only store in town that stocked that product in my area. The oil filter is the same as the filter for any ford 5.4.
__________________
[/I]Ordered - 3/24/06, Blend date - 8/21/06, Build date - 8/30/06, Gate release - 9/1/06, Shipped - 9/13/06, Delivery - 9/19/06, Coupe, Tungsten, Satin silver stripes, Charcoal interior w/upgrade, Shaker 1000, #96 of 384 Tungstens ever to be built.
Best run to date: 11.08 @ 126
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 PM
07 SHELBY's Avatar
07 SHELBY 07 SHELBY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
07 SHELBY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

For what it is worth,at this time the only oil that is certified for the Shelby GT500 is Motorcraft full synthetic 5W50.Next year Syntec (Castrol) and Mobil 1 full synthetic will PROBABLY be certified but if you have engine problems and you have to prove what motor oil you used you will not be covered under warranty.Saying that a new Shelby motor runs $18,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
rpretzel's Avatar
rpretzel rpretzel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
rpretzel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 SHELBY View Post
For what it is worth,at this time the only oil that is certified for the Shelby GT500 is Motorcraft full synthetic 5W50.Next year Syntec (Castrol) and Mobil 1 full synthetic will PROBABLY be certified but if you have engine problems and you have to prove what motor oil you used you will not be covered under warranty.Saying that a new Shelby motor runs $18,000.
Wow! That's pretty harsh. I mean, really, how different are motor oils these days, particularly the top tier ones, when it comes to engine protection? I would think, as long as you're not using some off-brand, recycled sludge, the warrant wouldn't be an issue. Just shows you how much I know.
__________________
2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
07 SHELBY's Avatar
07 SHELBY 07 SHELBY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
07 SHELBY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
Wow! That's pretty harsh. I mean, really, how different are motor oils these days, particularly the top tier ones, when it comes to engine protection? I would think, as long as you're not using some off-brand, recycled sludge, the warrant wouldn't be an issue. Just shows you how much I know.
I did a lot of research on this subject for my own personal reasons.I forget off hand what the spec. numbers and letters are xxxxxxxxxx-A are Castrol and Mobil 1.For the Shelby it has to bexxxxxxxxxx-B,and the only one that meets the spec at this time is Motorcraft 5W 50 full synthetic.I checked with Castrol and Mobil and Ford and this I know for sure.I bought Castrol and took it back, the Ford dealer said they would change it for $65.00 + tax.I did get another quote from another dealership for $130.00.Check around........................07.................. ............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:53 PM
rpretzel's Avatar
rpretzel rpretzel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
rpretzel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 SHELBY View Post
I did a lot of research on this subject for my own personal reasons.I forget off hand what the spec. numbers and letters are xxxxxxxxxx-A are Castrol and Mobil 1.For the Shelby it has to bexxxxxxxxxx-B,and the only one that meets the spec at this time is Motorcraft 5W 50 full synthetic.I checked with Castrol and Mobil and Ford and this I know for sure.I bought Castrol and took it back, the Ford dealer said they would change it for $65.00 + tax.I did get another quote from another dealership for $130.00.Check around........................07.................. ............
$130.00??? That's insane.

In case you wanted to know, the actual specs numbers are:
WSS-M2C931-A - API SL, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC
WSS-M2C931-B : API SM, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC

I read on another board that the early owner's manuals referenced version A, but later ones seem to be referencing version B.

Edit: You are absolutely correct. Castrol is rated to version A (SL not SM)
__________________
2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune

Last edited by rpretzel; 09-15-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 PM
rpretzel's Avatar
rpretzel rpretzel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
rpretzel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

I just read the PDS for Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and it states, "Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended" even though the oil is certified to the WSS-M2C931-A specification and not the WSS-M2C931-B specification.

I'm not sure what to think now.

Castrol Syntec Product Data Sheet
__________________
2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:02 PM
07 SHELBY's Avatar
07 SHELBY 07 SHELBY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
07 SHELBY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
I just read the PDS for Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and it states, "Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended" even though the oil is certified to the WSS-M2C931-A specification and not the WSS-M2C931-B specification.

I'm not sure what to think now.

Castrol Syntec Product Data Sheet
I talked to Castrol (they have a lot of ties with Ford) and they specifically told me and so did Ford that it is not approved by Ford at this time.Castrol expects to be approved by the middle of ............07............Some will think I am splitting hairs here but the reality of it is, if for any reason you have engine problems and did not meet there requirements for any reason(and they will ask for receipts)you void their warranty.I have gone over this subject extensively with the Factory rep(Ralph Arning),Castrol,Mobil 1 and the dealership.Take it for what it is worth,$18,000.............07............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:08 PM
rpretzel's Avatar
rpretzel rpretzel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
rpretzel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

I believe every word of it, 07. I just think Ford is being entirely too anal about this.

Because I didn't feel like working very hard today, I decided to read the Ford specs and the related ASTM and API specs. From what I could tell, the difference in performance requirements between SM and SL ratings is negligible.

Anyway, I'm going to skip out of work and have a couple of beers.
__________________
2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
07 SHELBY's Avatar
07 SHELBY 07 SHELBY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
07 SHELBY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
I believe every word of it, 07. I just think Ford is being entirely too anal about this.

Because I didn't feel like working very hard today, I decided to read the Ford specs and the related ASTM and API specs. From what I could tell, the difference in performance requirements between SM and SL ratings is negligible.

Anyway, I'm going to skip out of work and have a couple of beers.
Bravo,go have a cold 1,2,3,4,5 or 6.By the way I am with you but I want to tell the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide