Whipple 2.9 or 3.4? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > Performance Modifications

Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:17 PM

wallywagon is on a distinguished road
Default Whipple 2.9 or 3.4?

Hey guys, as no one has helped me in the past more than you all I thought it prudent to present the question posted here. My goals are to have a complete animal as my non-DD but be able to cruise comfortably when I am not romping the throttle. Is a 3.4 liter whipple too much for daily driving or will it be fine if I drive around regularly with the exception of a couple WOT runs whenever I take it out? I don't want to be limited by the 2.9 (if that could be the case) but understand that it is probably a more suitable blower for your weekend cruise. Please give me your opinions as well as what all I will need other than the blower (ie injector size/spark plugs/ TB/Elbow etc), you know...the costs that aren't originally budgeted. THanks soo much for any of your knowledge/experience!!

Wally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM

2nd2none is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whipple 2.9 or 3.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywagon View Post
Hey guys, as no one has helped me in the past more than you all I thought it prudent to present the question posted here. My goals are to have a complete animal as my non-DD but be able to cruise comfortably when I am not romping the throttle. Is a 3.4 liter whipple too much for daily driving or will it be fine if I drive around regularly with the exception of a couple WOT runs whenever I take it out? I don't want to be limited by the 2.9 (if that could be the case) but understand that it is probably a more suitable blower for your weekend cruise. Please give me your opinions as well as what all I will need other than the blower (ie injector size/spark plugs/ TB/Elbow etc), you know...the costs that aren't originally budgeted. THanks soo much for any of your knowledge/experience!!

Wally
Have a friend that drives his Shelby all the time with a 3.4 Whipple and its perfectly fine for a daily driver. He swaps pulleys/tunes when he knows hes going out to have fun with friends. Pretty sure if you get the 3.4 you'll need an aftermarket hood though
Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM

428cj is on a distinguished road

with the 3.4 you will have to lower the motor or use a big hood scoop or a aftermarket hood but it will support about any hp you can handle . I don't care for the 2.9 . 428cj
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

Van@RevanRacing is on a distinguished road

If you are interested in hearing about the Kenne Bell 2.8 I'd be happy to discuss it with you. Great Throttle response and nothing beats a Kenne Bell Supercharger whine.

Never hurts to talk and look at all the options.

Van

Fastest Mustang/GT500 in the World 220.8 MPH October 27, 2012 at The Texas Mile Kenne Bell 4.2 LC NO NITROUS

Revan Racing Proudly Distributes and sells Kenne Bell Products World Wide
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM

wallywagon is on a distinguished road

Thanks a LOT guys! I think that it looks like a 3.4 is the way to go unless I explore other vendors as Van recommends. BTW Van: LOVE the HE.....never would have thought I could eliminate that heat soak feeling. The reason I am intrigued by the Whipples is the price....the 2.8 KB is probably much more than I can get a 3.4 Whipple for.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Van@RevanRacing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywagon View Post
Thanks a LOT guys! I think that it looks like a 3.4 is the way to go unless I explore other vendors as Van recommends. BTW Van: LOVE the HE.....never would have thought I could eliminate that heat soak feeling. The reason I am intrigued by the Whipples is the price....the 2.8 KB is probably much more than I can get a 3.4 Whipple for.
Thanks for the PM. Let's do a cost analysis. You might be surprised how well the KB can accommodate your needs.

Van

Fastest Mustang/GT500 in the World 220.8 MPH October 27, 2012 at The Texas Mile Kenne Bell 4.2 LC NO NITROUS

Revan Racing Proudly Distributes and sells Kenne Bell Products World Wide
Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM

abumoody4 is on a distinguished road

Hey van, how extreme is the difference between the kb 2.8 vs the kb 3.6??
2011 gt500 Race Red SVTP White Stripe, SuperSnake Hood, KB 3.6 LC, Lund Tune, Thump Tensioner with Green Belt, 72lb fuel injectors, DSS driveshaft, BMR Suspension, Tokico D-Spec, C&R heat exchanger, ARH headers, H pipe, Corsa Exhaust, Aeroforce Gauges, Forgestars CF10, Nitto NT05r, 665 rwhp, parts from Revan Racing, work done by Realspeed NY, body work done by Maddens Auto Body!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM

jfreemanmd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van@RevanRacing View Post
If you are interested in hearing about the Kenne Bell 2.8 I'd be happy to discuss it with you. Great Throttle response and nothing beats a Kenne Bell Supercharger whine.

Never hurts to talk and look at all the options.

Van
C'mon now, at WOT the Whipple is pretty amazing too

If you wanna hear a brief clip of me at WOT at Lime Rock, go to 7:40 on this guys video...and enjoy as I blow by him!

Jay

2010 Shelby GT500 Black with 2.9 Whipple with 3.0" pulley, Ford Cobrajet oval monoblade TB, JLT 127mm CAI, 72lb injectors, dual BAP, BMR suspension, Tokico D-specs, Shelby/Baer extremes, AFCO dual fan HE, AFCO large capacity rad, SPEC P-trim, DSS 1piece DS, Borla "S", Lund 93 tune, Hoosier R6s...
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Nick F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreemanmd View Post
C'mon now, at WOT the Whipple is pretty amazing too

If you wanna hear a brief clip of me at WOT at Lime Rock, go to 7:40 on this guys video...and enjoy as I blow by him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTP7IyPwRu8

Jay
Oh yeah. My last car had a Whipple 2.3, and it sounded absolutely amazing.

It wasn't like a high pitched "way" sound, it was a deeper "woah" sound.
2007 Shelby GT500 - White blue stripes, JLT, 2.5", VMP tune, AFCO H/E, 2010 clutch, CHE upper/lower control arms, QA1 adjustable rear shocks - production #360 of all GT500 coupes.
Got SQL? Avic-X940BT, Kicker DX1000.1, Kicker IX500.4, Kicker DX500.1, Kicker Solo-Baric L7 12", 1x Kicker CompRT 8"(midbass), 4x Kicker CS6x8, 2x Kicker QS65.2 in place of door subs. Dynamatted doors, trunk, trunk lid, spare tire well, under rear seats. Big 3/power/grounds w/ 0ga Kolossus Flex, XP950 AGM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:43 PM

2010 Red & White is on a distinguished road

The extra hood $$ could be spent on tires !!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.