EPAS Turning noise ?? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion General Discussion about the Ford GT500

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM

Minicobra is on a distinguished road
Default EPAS Turning noise ??

Started noticing this noise when turning tightly in parking lots or on a sharp right hander. It almost sounds like an old power steering pump sound.

It seams like it started shortly after installing Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but maybe I just started paying more attention. Also, seams like the sound is louder after the car warms up a bit. It's possible something is rubbing, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe a problem with the EPAS unit?
I'm running stock tires and wheels on the 2012 SVTPP pack.

Anyone having a similar problem?
2012 GT500 SVTPP, Bassani Exhaust - FRPP Res Delete, Airaid Filter, Eibach ProKit, Koni Yellow-Sports, BMR PHB. AG M310 20's rims. Other rides: 2011 WRX, 370Z-SOLD, Mini Cooper JCW. Past Mustangs: 91 LX 5.0, 1969 Mach One, 1970 Boss 302.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 AM

03reptile is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 03reptile
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra View Post
Started noticing this noise when turning tightly in parking lots or on a sharp right hander. It almost sounds like an old power steering pump sound.

It seams like it started shortly after installing Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but maybe I just started paying more attention. Also, seams like the sound is louder after the car warms up a bit. It's possible something is rubbing, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe a problem with the EPAS unit?
I'm running stock tires and wheels on the 2012 SVTPP pack.

Anyone having a similar problem?
There are two issues that are possible if your suspension were stock, which it is not; however, I'll throw them at you for grins. (1) there was a TSB for the 2011's reference an electric steering re-programing due to some slight steering nibbling and on center feel. (2) This noise also could be your traction lock rear end "moaning" a little on turning. Mine will do it going out of the driveway. If these issues aren't the culprits and with the Eibach changes, I'm at a loss.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03reptile View Post
There are two issues that are possible if your suspension were stock, which it is not; however, I'll throw them at you for grins. (1) there was a TSB for the 2011's reference an electric steering re-programing due to some slight steering nibbling and on center feel. (2) This noise also could be your traction lock rear end "moaning" a little on turning. Mine will do it going out of the driveway. If these issues aren't the culprits and with the Eibach changes, I'm at a loss.
I never thought of the rear end, it really sounds like it's coming from up front. Being a 2012, shouldn't it already have the update on the TSB?
It's weird because it doesn't do it first thing in the morning, pulling out of the drive way or making a u-turn, but once the car warms up, you can hear.
It really sounds more like an old power steering pump that needs fluid.
Does the EPAS unit require fluid?
I think I'll pop the car up on jack stands this weekend and take the front wheels off, turn the wheel from side to side and see if I can find anything.
Probably wont do it though, since it won't be under load.
2012 GT500 SVTPP, Bassani Exhaust - FRPP Res Delete, Airaid Filter, Eibach ProKit, Koni Yellow-Sports, BMR PHB. AG M310 20's rims. Other rides: 2011 WRX, 370Z-SOLD, Mini Cooper JCW. Past Mustangs: 91 LX 5.0, 1969 Mach One, 1970 Boss 302.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM

MDPLS is on a distinguished road

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but... what is steering wheel nibble?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Colleton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPLS View Post
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but... what is steering wheel nibble?
From the OP's description, it's almost certainly noise from the differential, not the EPAS. The differential clutch pack moan is normal, but can be minimized/eliminated by adding some friction modifier.

For the OP, the EPAS is electrical in nature, there are no fluids. Just a computer controlled electric motor.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Snake Doc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra View Post
I never thought of the rear end, it really sounds like it's coming from up front. Being a 2012, shouldn't it already have the update on the TSB?
It's weird because it doesn't do it first thing in the morning, pulling out of the drive way or making a u-turn, but once the car warms up, you can hear.
It really sounds more like an old power steering pump that needs fluid.
Does the EPAS unit require fluid?
I think I'll pop the car up on jack stands this weekend and take the front wheels off, turn the wheel from side to side and see if I can find anything.
Probably wont do it though, since it won't be under load.
I had that problem with my '09 and again with my current '11, one bottle of the Motorcraft additive "Friction Modifier" added to the differential solved the problem.

Before you spend a lot of time and money hunting the source of the noise, add the Friction Modifier, about $7 - $8 from your local dealership and if they want a large labor charge, add it yourself (it should be a warranty item anyway).

Here are the relevant portions of TSB-05-10:

8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE TSB 08-5-10
DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

ISSUE
Some 2005-2007 Mustang GT vehicles equipped
with the 8.8 inch limited slip axle may exhibit a
moan/groan noise when making tight low speed
turns. This may be more noticeable when the axle
is at full operating temperature. The noise may also be confused as originating from the brakes or steering system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
3. Vehicles built after 10/22/2006 were built with the new limited slip clutch pack. For these vehicles, add 1 bottle of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier to the axle. Perform several full lock turns at low speeds in both directions to force the lubricant into the limited slip clutch pack.

Good Luck!

2011 Red/White GT500 SVTPP; Hood lifts, CAI resonator eliminator,
'07-'09 Strut Tower Brace, & JLT Splash Guards
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM

MJD is on a distinguished road

I have a 2010 and just installed the same springs and adjustable panhard bar. I picked up the same noise as you are describing. I think something is rubbing and it is more prominate when I have a passenger. So that would indicate a left front "rub" of some sort.
MJD
2010 GT 500
Grabber Blue / white stripe
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM

prboss is on a distinguished road

mine has same noise. roundabouts.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM

JFH is on a distinguished road

I had the same noise you are describing in my 09 while making tight turns. I took it to the dealer, the tech went for a ride with me and heard the noise. No questions asked they replaced the clutch packs in the rear end under warranty. No more noise. Take it back to the dealer and they should take care of you.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleton View Post
From the OP's description, it's almost certainly noise from the differential, not the EPAS. The differential clutch pack moan is normal, but can be minimized/eliminated by adding some friction modifier.

For the OP, the EPAS is electrical in nature, there are no fluids. Just a computer controlled electric motor.
Thanks Colleton, Snakedoc and everyone else :-)
I thought for sure it was coming from the front, but I drove it this morning around the cul de sac (when cold) and got no noise.
After driving around a bit (15min) did the same thing, noise was there.
Tends to get louder the warmer it gets.

If I install the friction modifier, do I need to drain any fluid out first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.