EPAS Turning noise ?? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum
Shelby Cobra GT500 Shelby Cobra GT500 Header Right

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum > Ford GT500 Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion General Discussion about the Ford GT500

FordGT500.com is the premier Ford GT500 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM
Minicobra's Avatar
Minicobra Minicobra is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 99
Minicobra is on a distinguished road
Default EPAS Turning noise ??

Started noticing this noise when turning tightly in parking lots or on a sharp right hander. It almost sounds like an old power steering pump sound.

It seams like it started shortly after installing Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but maybe I just started paying more attention. Also, seams like the sound is louder after the car warms up a bit. It's possible something is rubbing, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe a problem with the EPAS unit?
I'm running stock tires and wheels on the 2012 SVTPP pack.

Anyone having a similar problem?
__________________
2012 GT500 SVTPP, Bassani Exhaust - FRPP Res Delete, Airaid Filter, Eibach ProKit, Koni Yellow-Sports, BMR PHB. AG M310 20's rims. Other rides: 2011 WRX, 370Z-SOLD, Mini Cooper JCW. Past Mustangs: 91 LX 5.0, 1969 Mach One, 1970 Boss 302.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-19-2011, 06:18 AM
03reptile's Avatar
03reptile 03reptile is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, Md.
Posts: 1,453
03reptile is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 03reptile
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra View Post
Started noticing this noise when turning tightly in parking lots or on a sharp right hander. It almost sounds like an old power steering pump sound.

It seams like it started shortly after installing Eibach Pro-Kit springs, but maybe I just started paying more attention. Also, seams like the sound is louder after the car warms up a bit. It's possible something is rubbing, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe a problem with the EPAS unit?
I'm running stock tires and wheels on the 2012 SVTPP pack.

Anyone having a similar problem?
There are two issues that are possible if your suspension were stock, which it is not; however, I'll throw them at you for grins. (1) there was a TSB for the 2011's reference an electric steering re-programing due to some slight steering nibbling and on center feel. (2) This noise also could be your traction lock rear end "moaning" a little on turning. Mine will do it going out of the driveway. If these issues aren't the culprits and with the Eibach changes, I'm at a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Minicobra's Avatar
Minicobra Minicobra is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 99
Minicobra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03reptile View Post
There are two issues that are possible if your suspension were stock, which it is not; however, I'll throw them at you for grins. (1) there was a TSB for the 2011's reference an electric steering re-programing due to some slight steering nibbling and on center feel. (2) This noise also could be your traction lock rear end "moaning" a little on turning. Mine will do it going out of the driveway. If these issues aren't the culprits and with the Eibach changes, I'm at a loss.
I never thought of the rear end, it really sounds like it's coming from up front. Being a 2012, shouldn't it already have the update on the TSB?
It's weird because it doesn't do it first thing in the morning, pulling out of the drive way or making a u-turn, but once the car warms up, you can hear.
It really sounds more like an old power steering pump that needs fluid.
Does the EPAS unit require fluid?
I think I'll pop the car up on jack stands this weekend and take the front wheels off, turn the wheel from side to side and see if I can find anything.
Probably wont do it though, since it won't be under load.
__________________
2012 GT500 SVTPP, Bassani Exhaust - FRPP Res Delete, Airaid Filter, Eibach ProKit, Koni Yellow-Sports, BMR PHB. AG M310 20's rims. Other rides: 2011 WRX, 370Z-SOLD, Mini Cooper JCW. Past Mustangs: 91 LX 5.0, 1969 Mach One, 1970 Boss 302.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
MDPLS's Avatar
MDPLS MDPLS is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hanover, PA
Posts: 15
MDPLS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but... what is steering wheel nibble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Colleton's Avatar
Colleton Colleton is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 1,752
Colleton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPLS View Post
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but... what is steering wheel nibble?
From the OP's description, it's almost certainly noise from the differential, not the EPAS. The differential clutch pack moan is normal, but can be minimized/eliminated by adding some friction modifier.

For the OP, the EPAS is electrical in nature, there are no fluids. Just a computer controlled electric motor.
__________________
2014 GT500: Sterling Gray Metallic w/Black stripes + SVTPP + Glass Roof + EP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Snake Doc's Avatar
Snake Doc Snake Doc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gainesville, GA
Posts: 1,404
Snake Doc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minicobra View Post
I never thought of the rear end, it really sounds like it's coming from up front. Being a 2012, shouldn't it already have the update on the TSB?
It's weird because it doesn't do it first thing in the morning, pulling out of the drive way or making a u-turn, but once the car warms up, you can hear.
It really sounds more like an old power steering pump that needs fluid.
Does the EPAS unit require fluid?
I think I'll pop the car up on jack stands this weekend and take the front wheels off, turn the wheel from side to side and see if I can find anything.
Probably wont do it though, since it won't be under load.
I had that problem with my '09 and again with my current '11, one bottle of the Motorcraft additive "Friction Modifier" added to the differential solved the problem.

Before you spend a lot of time and money hunting the source of the noise, add the Friction Modifier, about $7 - $8 from your local dealership and if they want a large labor charge, add it yourself (it should be a warranty item anyway).

Here are the relevant portions of TSB-05-10:

8.8 LIMITED SLIP AXLE MOAN/GROAN NOISE TSB 08-5-10
DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

ISSUE
Some 2005-2007 Mustang GT vehicles equipped
with the 8.8 inch limited slip axle may exhibit a
moan/groan noise when making tight low speed
turns. This may be more noticeable when the axle
is at full operating temperature. The noise may also be confused as originating from the brakes or steering system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.
2.
3. Vehicles built after 10/22/2006 were built with the new limited slip clutch pack. For these vehicles, add 1 bottle of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier to the axle. Perform several full lock turns at low speeds in both directions to force the lubricant into the limited slip clutch pack.


Good Luck!
__________________
Cruise On,
Ron/Snake Doc
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

2011 Red/White GT500 SVTPP; Hood lifts, CAI resonator eliminator,
'07-'09 Strut Tower Brace, & JLT Splash Guards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
MJD MJD is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 38
MJD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

I have a 2010 and just installed the same springs and adjustable panhard bar. I picked up the same noise as you are describing. I think something is rubbing and it is more prominate when I have a passenger. So that would indicate a left front "rub" of some sort.
MJD
2010 GT 500
Grabber Blue / white stripe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
prboss's Avatar
prboss prboss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Anchorge, Alaska
Posts: 355
prboss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

mine has same noise. roundabouts.
__________________
Cold Snake, 2011, Anchorage AK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
JFH's Avatar
JFH JFH is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 320
JFH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

I had the same noise you are describing in my 09 while making tight turns. I took it to the dealer, the tech went for a ride with me and heard the noise. No questions asked they replaced the clutch packs in the rear end under warranty. No more noise. Take it back to the dealer and they should take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 AM
Minicobra's Avatar
Minicobra Minicobra is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 99
Minicobra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EPAS Turning noise ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleton View Post
From the OP's description, it's almost certainly noise from the differential, not the EPAS. The differential clutch pack moan is normal, but can be minimized/eliminated by adding some friction modifier.

For the OP, the EPAS is electrical in nature, there are no fluids. Just a computer controlled electric motor.
Thanks Colleton, Snakedoc and everyone else :-)
I thought for sure it was coming from the front, but I drove it this morning around the cul de sac (when cold) and got no noise.
After driving around a bit (15min) did the same thing, noise was there.
Tends to get louder the warmer it gets.

If I install the friction modifier, do I need to drain any fluid out first?
__________________
2012 GT500 SVTPP, Bassani Exhaust - FRPP Res Delete, Airaid Filter, Eibach ProKit, Koni Yellow-Sports, BMR PHB. AG M310 20's rims. Other rides: 2011 WRX, 370Z-SOLD, Mini Cooper JCW. Past Mustangs: 91 LX 5.0, 1969 Mach One, 1970 Boss 302.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creaking sound while turning? bsmoke Problems/Dealer Service 13 03-03-2012 06:05 AM
2011 SVTPP -- clunk/grind when turning at full lock Convert Problems/Dealer Service 13 04-22-2011 08:40 AM
'09 GT500 Lights Turning On Randomly ptssmith General Discussion 6 01-19-2011 04:39 PM
VMP TVS noise PARTS DUDE Performance Modifications 11 01-17-2011 09:44 AM
Gear Rollover Noise or Throwout Bearing Noise? frisco General Discussion 8 12-10-2008 12:47 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide