Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 5.0 1/4 run

6K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  AFB 
#1 ·

Sorry if this is a re-post... but they already broke it. So much for independent suspension. I'm actually disappointed it didn't hold up.

#2 ·
The new car will run! Sux they broke it... Not as stout as the 500.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Um.... I can't believe no one is talking about the obvious.... With minimal mods it managed to run 11.20s @ 120+ mph with a few minor tweaks. Not too shabby.

Everyone knew the stock half shafts would break, someone will have stronger ones out very soon (if they don't already).... It was no surprise.

#13 ·
Lets see how it does at a road course where IRS belongs (not a drag strip). Steering wheels are great for turning left and right as well. :D

#15 ·
I'm guessing there will be a few "live axle" swap threads popping up soon enough. :D

Yes, it's a shame that the benchmark will be measured in straight line performance and not the car's capability with all types of driver's to potentially hold it on a knife's edge while rev matching down shifts while hitting corner entrance and apex then WOT to corner exit. In other words - a true test of how well a platform operates at every aspect.

Not judging for those like to go straight. I was one of the straight-liners for many years and enjoyed it immensely!

24 Hours of Lemons changed my perspective! lol

#16 ·
#17 ·
These are going to move no doubt,and at the end of the day as for laps/tracks time..these "muscle/pony cars" wars for some reason are always debated in strait line stats..performance wise anyways,wich I don't really mind that much,honestly.

As far as the IRS goes,many Cobra guys have been running 10's and faster,even with stock oem halfshafts..

Found this great article from "Full Tilt Boogie Racing" on the subject...if any want to read.(some great advice,comments,fixes.. imo)

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/mystery_of_irs.htm

#19 ·
Yeah, it broke, but I'm with Steve....great performance for a stock car with just a few mods. I also thought the weight transfer to the rear looked good. Likely some of that's due to a softer IRS, and I suspect it helped the car hook. Should be an easy fix to improve the half shaft. A good start.

#21 ·
Great video Geiger!

#23 ·
Went to my local dealership to check out the new 5.0. First one I've seen in person and I'll have to admit it's grown on me. The rear quarter panels and hatch look much longer to me and is probably the biggest styling cue, along with the fusion-like front end that still bothers me. Anyway the car was optioned out at $43K, with addition to a $7K markup; don't understand this for a non limited production car but if people pay it then whatever. I dunno, $50k for a GT... I got more looks and complements driving my 7 year old shelby to the dealer.. One guy approached me and asked if it was for sale. I think I'll keep it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.