Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headers?

14K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  Van@RevanRacing 
#1 ·
Hi I'm looking to buy a set of headers. My big concern is transmission removal. I was looking at kooks and dynatech. I was told that Dynatech will clear. But will kooks also clear the transmission.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I'm running Kooks got a great deal on a used set. If I were going new
You need to look at Stainless Works new stuff. Outstanding quality great fit and finish.
All the headers make the same power + or - a few ponies.
You will be happy with whatever you go with. Just don't expect huge power gains vs money
Spent to get them installed and a custom tune.

#7 ·
american racing clear as well. Great fit and finish and their spiked merge collector helps make additional power. And they are 100% made in america.
+1

#10 ·
Another happy Stainless Works customer.
I will say they are 100% USA made with USA sourced SS, something others may not disclose.
Also have the spiked merge collector, H or X options and easy to swap cats.
as Van mentioned, there is power in the collector design.
-J

#11 ·
When it's time, I'll go with Stainless Works. I had the opportunity a week or so ago to stop in their shop and chat with them. Nice guys. If you're active duty or a vet, they install for free. I'm not but they have monthly install specials (13/14's are $250 for headers/exhaust install due to the complexity and time it takes).

P.J.

#14 ·
#16 ·
Question for you guys running headers is getting the headers ceramic coated worth the money, I have seen on other forums where guys say pay the extra money and have them coated...was told it keeps heat inside the headers instead of radiating so much heat in the engine bay. One last question once headers are installed do you need tune?

#42 ·
Bill, what are you doing asking about headers? Now I know what's next on your list.

#17 ·
Honestly, on a set of stainless steel headers, I'm not sure it changes underhood temperatures that much. The coatings do emit less heat, but with the constant air flow under the hood, I'm not sure that translates to lower temps in the engine bay while you're moving. Because the oxygen sensors are located further downstream than OEM, a tune change to correct is recommended.

#20 · (Edited)
Im on the fence ....got my finger on the phone to call BJ but .... with my kr mufflers and off road x pipe how much louder exhaust note wise am I looking at ?

BJ ..... the x pipe you sold me ( think its from lethal ) ... will these headers bolt right to the x pipe?

don

#25 ·
KR mufflers do blow chunks. Its what I have on my car. I put the stock mufflers back on with the X pipe but too quite .... is there something in between or just short of obnoxious BJ ?

don

#30 ·
Whats the grand total for the magic combo? SVT1's? do you have a link? I have the KRs with a stock set up (super lame i know) and it sounds great with no drone. I want to upgrade to the above. Thanks.

#31 ·
You planning on removing the transmission once a week or so?!

#34 ·
Just a few things I noticed trying a couple different sets of the headers listed.

I have done a few set of ARH headers.(they are nicely made no doubt)
I never had much luck removing the transmission without pulling the pass header with them.
Kooks zero issue pulling trans with headers in place.(also very nicely made)

As for power with a full exhaust I have dynoed the kooks compared to the arh and the power difference was zero. You might see more power with the ARH if run them open because of the length of them.(but unless it is an all out race car I don't think anyone runs an open header)
Kooks I feel was designed to be more user friendly in these cars (street/strip cars) I feel the ARH is a more race only header

Another thing I have noticed with arh because of the merge collector used. Cats don't last with them(non issue with kooks can run cats and keep them alive which is a plus )
In non wide band car's(pre 11) its very hard to get a stable front 02 signal.(very tough to pass a scan ready test with ARH)

Never tried a Dynatech.

#36 ·
Dynatech are surprisingly good. The welds are outstanding.

I haven't tried to get a trans past a "revised" set of ARH but the old ones? No possible way.

We're doing a clutch on car with a newer set next week. We've factored in an additional 6 hours to r and r headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.