Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New (but incredibly frustrating) PB

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RuinedC5ZwithAuto 
#1 ·
For the first time this year I took the Shelby out for a little 1/4 mile action. The local tracks are all 1/8th mile, so I made the two hour journey to Britsol TN for one thing and one thing only.... A ten second time slip.

In preparation I put on a fresh set of tires (295/55/15 MT Drag Radials), changed the plugs and fuel filter, and all the other little "tune up" things that go along with it. The weather wasn't terrible with a DA of 1950 ft, so I was hoping to go fast. In 3 other visits to 1/4 mile tracks there had always been something that kept me out of the 10's... Poor track prep and traction issues, weather conditions (once it was too hot, and once it was too cold causing traction problems), and simple driver error on my part. The prep this past Thursday wasn't great, so I knew I would have to pay close attention to launching the car, and there was an unusual amount of people there also, so I knew I wouldn't get many chances at it.

First pass the car was super rich and stumbled badly off the line, then it popped and spit fire the rest of the way down the track and only managed a 11.37.

Second pass was the charm, little better 60 ft, cleaner shifts, and just the right amount of luck. Basically, I'm glad I didn't stop to eat on the way to the track or it probably wouldn't have been a ten second pass lol.

The third pass I hurried back to staging without a real cool down and decided to hit it a little harder off the line. That resulted in wheelspin and a 11.23 ET. That was the final pass of huge night.

Granted, I was happy that I FINALLY could say I had a ten second street car, however I also know the car will go MUCH faster. On the 10.99 run I was .4 tenths and 6mph off my best 1/8 mile pass. Heck, I ran 135 at this track last year in the heat. So it was bittersweet, BUT.... Mission accomplished. On the bright side, a buddy of mine followed me down in his C6 Z06. He just got it back from the shop after having the heads worked, cam installed, and intake put on. On the way home he wanted to play, so I strapped about 3 car lengths on him from 30-120 mph with the back of the car loaded down with tools, folding chairs, and a floor jack.

Here's a couple of more pics from the night, as soon as my laptop decides to cooperate I will get the videos uploaded and post them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats at getting it done regardless of how it happened. Now I'll bet you start the hunt for a 10.8 car and so on. :)

#5 ·
10's are GOOD!

#7 ·
Awesome accomplishment, 10s ride you drive to the track will always be legit.
Making power these days is easy, using it isn't, glad to see more guys going to the track.
-J

#9 ·
Thanks guys.... Going back this Thursday for a little 1/8th mile action, try to get a new PB there as well. Going to be some vette guys and a WS-6 with a big dose of n2o going as well, hopefully have some cool videos.

#11 ·
754 RWHP - 742 RWTQ
6.83@108 1/8th mile... 1.62 60ft. (pump gas and drag radials)
Is that ET and mph with the power you have listed? Have you weighed it at the track?

#12 ·
Yep, that's the time with the power listed. Weighed 3900 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas and the little wheels on it. With me in it it's 4200.

That ET was with a very soft launch. I can't hit it hard with radials, it just blows the tires off. I've never had slicks on it, but this fall I have a friend who will haul it to the track for me so I can put some good tires on it. I am expecting the 60fts to drop into the high 1.4x range and the ET to be somewhere in the 6.60 range... Maybe even 6.50s if I can get his little 150lb skinny ass to drive it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.