Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipple 2.9 or 3.4?

20K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  blackshelby54 
#1 ·
Hey guys, as no one has helped me in the past more than you all I thought it prudent to present the question posted here. My goals are to have a complete animal as my non-DD but be able to cruise comfortably when I am not romping the throttle. Is a 3.4 liter whipple too much for daily driving or will it be fine if I drive around regularly with the exception of a couple WOT runs whenever I take it out? I don't want to be limited by the 2.9 (if that could be the case) but understand that it is probably a more suitable blower for your weekend cruise. Please give me your opinions as well as what all I will need other than the blower (ie injector size/spark plugs/ TB/Elbow etc), you know...the costs that aren't originally budgeted. THanks soo much for any of your knowledge/experience!!

Wally

#8 ·
C'mon now, at WOT the Whipple is pretty amazing too :)

If you wanna hear a brief clip of me at WOT at Lime Rock, go to 7:40 on this guys video...and enjoy as I blow by him!

Jay

#5 ·
Thanks a LOT guys! I think that it looks like a 3.4 is the way to go unless I explore other vendors as Van recommends. BTW Van: LOVE the HE.....never would have thought I could eliminate that heat soak feeling. The reason I am intrigued by the Whipples is the price....the 2.8 KB is probably much more than I can get a 3.4 Whipple for.

#7 ·
Hey van, how extreme is the difference between the kb 2.8 vs the kb 3.6??

#11 ·
+1 ^^ cause you're definately gonna need em!

#23 ·
2.9 Whipple, SCJ twin blade, CAI, 72# injectors, boost a pump, tr6 plugs, and a 10% over driver lower and a Revan H/E. 700 at the rear wheels. one piece drive shaft, BMR LCAs, Roush Upper, Adj panhard, 11 inch SVT rims and 315/40-18s on a 2010 vert. stupid fast and still get 19 on the high way.

then there is 2007 coupe with a 2.9 whipple with a mono blade, CAI, clutch, plugs, smaller pulley on the blower, same out back but with a 3.73 and drag clicker shocks, and wont hook on the street from launch, or rolling 2 or 3rd under 40mph. if you romp is in 3rd hard at 50mph. it will light the tires..

The 10 has a Livernois Tune, and the 2007 has a Pauls tune..

#27 ·
Here's Tricky Dick doing a fly by!

The Kenne Bell 3.6 has straight cut gears and doesn't whine as much as a 2.8.

I've got some video of one of my Time Trial sessions this weekend that I will try and edit and upload. You can't hear the blower on mine either.

Here is my buddy John and his 2007 Super Snake with a Kenne Bell 2.8 and an off road pipe. You can hear the blower and his freakin' radio!!! LOL Don't ask. He likes having the radio on when he's on the track and by himself.

Pic is from Daytona in December. We were doing a photo shoot. He's looking back at me and I'm looking up at him for the next angle. He's in the Super Snake and I'm driving his Boss 302 Laguna Seca. The photographer said to us later, "You guys are nuts. You were easily doing 120 MPH and looking at each other and not the track!!" I simply replied, "we've done a lot of track events together, its called TRUST" LOL

Attachments

#29 ·
the more I read these posts.....the more I want in the 700 + HP club..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.