Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How can I eliminate wheel hop quickly?

9K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  VNMOUS1 
#1 ·
O.k. I'm hittin the drag strip next weekend for the first time in my life. Excited and nervous at the same time. I'm a little concerned about wheel hop. Is there a quick mod I could do in my garage that would eliminate or reduce this? Maybe lower control arms, panhard bar, etc. What can I do and how difficult would the mod you reccomend be?

Also...I have the stock tires on and was going to start out with 20 or 25 PSI in the rear. Is this to low?

Thanks.

#5 ·
So I've decided to do both upper and lower control arms. Going to get the J&M ones. Now my next question is how difficult are these to replace? It is a as simple as ubolting the old and putting on the new ones? Do I have to check pinion angles or anything crazy like that?

If there is a seperate thread explaining all this where...I couldn't find one.

Thanks alot!

#7 ·
I only replaced the UCA (not the bracket); Roush has a kit that has both but is considerably more expensive and best I know the OEM bracket is good and replacing it is quite a bit more involved.

Here is a link to the UCA installation instructions. The car needs to be lifted/supported by the frame not drive on ramps. I used jacks & jack stands, a lift would be much nicer/easier.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-adjustable-upper-control-arm-0509-install.html

If you haven't altered the suspension no adj for pinion angle is needed; the J&M UCA comes pre-adjusted for the OEM set-up (I got the double adj street UCA in case I decided to lower the car later). I measured/compared the two UCAs to make sure they were the same.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/adj-upper-control-arms-jnm2005.html

The LCAs are considerable easier to install.
I ordered the BMR Anti-wheelhop Package but haven't installed it yet. Got it for the better launch RPM, etc.
http://www.lethalperformance.com/2010-shelby-gt500-suspension-suspension-packages-bmr-fabrication-c-5711_5871_5909_5910/bmr-fabrication-07-09-gt500-anti-wheelhop-package-p-27567

Good Luck! :banana_hitit:

#6 ·
#9 ·
Just ordered Steeda upper and lower control arms. Will post pics after I get them on.

In case others are interested I purchased off of Lethal Performance web site part numbers: 555-4406 & 555-4105. Total with Shipping was $525 and that was with a military discount. Yea a little bit more $$ then I wanted to spend but the lower control arms look sweet!

#11 ·
Nice. Let us know how everything works out. Fyi, Ford's suggested in spec for the pinion angle is -1 up to -3. Even though yours is at stock height, it's best to adjust within these parameters for best performance. I have mine aggresively set at -3 with stock height.
Good to know. Thanks.

#12 ·
Well the Shelby is in the garage on jack stands prepped and ready for the new upper and lower control arms. I actually removed the upper control arm and have everything supported on jack stands so when the parts get here (hopefully tomorrow) it's install time. Let me say that the upper control arm is a bitch to get out. Would have been easier if I had a lift but I don't. It's not really all that hard but time consuming...I want to say it took me about two hours to get in there and get the upper control arm completely out. What set me back was getting the dang bolt out that the control arm pivots on. Not quite enough room without loosening the bracket which is what I was trying to avoid doing. So yea all ready...got my lock tight, torque wrench, angle finder, etc.

Sorry got bored...thought I would type a little something about my status. More to come with pictures.

#16 · (Edited)
Well I got everything on. Let me tell you...what a pain in the ass that job was! Just my opinion but if anyone is swapping these out I would not do it without a lift. I did it on my garage floor with jack/jack stands and it took me FOREVER! It paid off though, just got back from my test drive and there is ZERO wheel hop. Burn outs were smooth as silk.

UPPER CONTROL ARM: This took me a long time to install. The uninstall of the stock one was fairly easy. Installing the new one was a bit tricky. In order to get the bolt in I had to pry down the mount. Then almost stripped a bolt tightening the mount back up becuase the hole was off a bit which cross threaded it...I was getting pissed, but got her in nice and tight. Also with the Steeda upper control arm there is a bump stop which made getting a wrench up to the bolt extremely difficult because of the way it's mounted. If I had the right air tools it would have been much easier.

LOWER CONTROL ARMS: These were easy, but still took a while because like I said I was on the floor doing the work. I did run into one issue though. I only did one side at a time but after taking the one arm off, the axel shifted back a little and I couldn't get the holes to line up, so I had to use a strap and hooked it near the front on the frame and then around the axel and just cranked that strap together to pull it back in and BINGO got the holes to line up.

Extremely happy with the results, but not happy with how long it took and the couple issues I had. I'm all set for the drags on Saturday.

It's to late now, but I'll post some pics later.

#20 · (Edited)
UPPER CONTROL ARM: This took me a long time to install. The uninstall of the stock one was fairly easy. Installing the new one was a bit tricky. In order to get the bolt in I had to pry down the mount. Then almost stripped a bolt tightening the mount back up becuase the hole was off a bit which cross threaded it...I was getting pissed, but got her in nice and tight. Also with the Steeda upper control arm there is a bump stop which made getting a wrench up to the bolt extremely difficult because of the way it's mounted. If I had the right air tools it would have been much easier.
Glad you got everything installed. I have read that lowering the gas tanks makes it easier to access the UCA mount bolts. I will probably tackle this job some day and was wondering whether there is enough room to get a torque wrench up in there to tighten the UCA bolts to spec and whether it is necessary to torque the UCA bolts with the suspension loaded?

#17 ·
Does changing UCA and/or LCA affect car as daily driver? Noise? Harsher ride? Cornering?

#23 ·
wheel hop!!!!!! couldnt get that,,, that would of been ok to me,,,, my 2011 w/2000 miles on it exploded the clutch and drive shaft ,,,,my 92 lx w/ 250 n2 @ 5000 rpm launch never had this problem,,,, begining to think svt is full of SHIT,, after all this car was BUILT with an s/c ,,,, maybe should of kept my 2010 comaro 6 speed ,,,,, drove it the same way ,,, WITh NO problem!!!! hell,,, it even has a button you push for competition mode and u could launch it @ 5000 rpm,,,, I might have made a mistake purchasing this car!!!!!

#28 ·
You broke a clutch and driveshaft on what? A set of 11" slicks? If you tried to launch your car at 5,000 on ANY tire with 2k on your car, you're nuts.

If you are saying you did it on factory tires, you're high. The tires will just spin. You're not gonna break anything but an eardrum from banging on the rev limiter.

All that said, yes, you have to be able to spin the tires to make them hop. The Camaro may be just the ticket for you.

Sorry for your loss.

bj

#24 ·
you either launched at 10000 rpm or had a quality control problem. i drive my car like i stole it. warranty!! i am sure ford will make it right. unless they can prove it was your fault. the black box will tell. maybe you should go back to chevy.they surely miss you.

#25 ·
NO even chevy can't handle my 92 lx!!! never had a problem with it!!!5,000 rpm launches with 250n2 was no problem!!!! this car ,, sunday afternoon drive,, putting it through the paces,,, and it wimped out like a little sissy!!! so maybe I could offer you this ragged ass junk,,,,, I'll just go back to driving my 92 lx,,,, and If you have something else you would like to say!!!,I say PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS,,,I'LL put my little 92 (18 yrs old ) against these crap cars any time!!!!

#29 ·
NO even chevy can't handle my 92 lx!!! never had a problem with it!!!5,000 rpm launches with 250n2 was no problem!!!! this car ,, sunday afternoon drive,, putting it through the paces,,, and it wimped out like a little sissy!!! so maybe I could offer you this ragged ass junk,,,,, I'll just go back to driving my 92 lx,,,, and If you have something else you would like to say!!!,I say PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS,,,I'LL put my little 92 (18 yrs old ) against these crap cars any time!!!![/QUOTE]

OK. Bring your title and a big wad of cash. Let me know when you're here.

bj

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.