Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 Shelby GT500 recommended Mods

30K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  topsales 
#1 ·
Does anyone own or have seen a 2011 GT500 with a 4L whipple SC? I am told you need a special Engine lowering kit or a custom hood similar to the Cobra Jet?

I am planning on purchasing the 2012 GT500 and will be more than likely adding the 4L to it before driving it.

notables:
-GT500 will have the SVT package
-Need to decide on which long tube headers and X pipe/axle back combo
-Pulley swap necessary?
- Will a new fuel pump be required to run the 4L whipple?
- I’m only doing this mod to beat every Comaro and z06 on my block.

#3 ·
Well the Ford Racing Performance Product (FRPP) whipple comes with an upgraded fuel pump which they tell me they can install by removing the back seat. And with a supercharger it should come with its own pulley so not sure why a pulley swap should be needed or headers for that matter. The FRPP supercharger upgrade supposedly gets you to 750 hp and the Camero has 425 so again not sure why you would need headers. Sounds like overkill to me unless you are gunning for that, supposedly coming, Camero Z28 which everyone hopes will be light as a feather and sport, at a minimum the Cadillac 556 HP engine. The C05 Z06s only made 405 horsepower so seems like they should be easy to beat.

Funny though about the Camero Z28. I've noticed over the years that GM always seem to give the Cameros a lower horsepower engine that they would give to the Corvettes. So not sure how they could come out with a Camero making 556+ horses while the stock vette makes 430 horsepower?!

Anyway good luck in beathing those GM cars. I like to beat them also if I can.

#5 ·
To be able to run the 4.0 whipple on your car safely, you'll need to spend around $10K-$15K in upgrades + the blower cost!!

And the sad thing is cars with less HP will kick your ass all day long:grinbiginvert:

#6 ·
Need for speed, please explain what upgrades you are referring will be needed for the 4L whipple.
I thought the 2011/12 cobra 5.4L came with forged internals? I'm assuming 730rwhp to be sum what safe.

Also your last comment which is keeping me awake at the current moment
"And the sad thing is cars with less HP will kick your ass all day long"

Are you referring to wieght being an issue? If so I understand where you are heading with that comment, which leads me to my next question, what are some ways that you can shed weight on the 2011/12 gt500.

Thanks for your posts everyone,
:fight:

#7 ·
Yes all the GT500's 07-11 have forged internals BUT if you read the fine print it states with the 4.0 whipple internal upgrades needed!!
The 4.0 makes way to much boost for a stock GT500 motor like 22-25lb you'll need a better bottom end !! Safe limit on stock GT500 motor 17-18lb boost !!

To rebuild the motor $5000-$6000 then more cooling mods $1500-$1800 , drive shaft $1000, fuel pumps,injectors, $1500-$2000, Exhaust upgrades $1000-$3000,Throttle Body & better CAI system $1500, 4.0 Whipple $4700., Real brakes $2000-$4000, Suspension kit $1500-$3500, hand held tuner + tune time $600. And I'm sure I'm missing something!

And after all that you'll still have issues getting that power to the ground

#9 ·
Yes, you can make 19 - 20 psi w/ the 2.9. I have the 2.9 and am making 19psi with a 3" pulley. The wheel HP you're wanting is easily within reach of the 2.9. Save some money. I believe a 2.85" pulley will get you 22psi with the 2.9, and you can order the kit with that pulley already installed. I'd stick with the 2.9 and not have to worry about lowering the engine or getting a new hood or moving the engine forward.

#10 ·
Great! thanks for the feedback Premi.

What kinda Hp are you making? and with what mods?

I would assume a larger TB, Injectors and fuel pump would be minimum requirements to upgrade at 20psi.

Here are my plans, please comment on what you think of each upgrade ie mandatory/waist of money.

#1. 2.9L Whipple
#2. 65MM-75MM TB ? Not sure who makes a good TB any ideas?
#3. Dual Fuel pump? FRPP or any other high per brand pump?
#4. Crusher CAI inlet
#5. 3’’ aluminum FR Drive shaft
#6. SCT-3 Hand Held & custom tune with 3 settings

Without going to the 4L I will save huge on lowering kit and it sounds like just a big waist of money for power I wouldn’t be able to use.

Thank a ton for your feedback guys. It feels good when you get some good advice before dropping 60-70k...haha

BTW I am selling one of those 2008 Saleen Racecraft 420s (1of31) for a steal if anyone is interested.

SpeedyMike-:pimp:

#11 ·
1) Yes
2) Twin 65mm TB comes w/ the FRPP kit (Tasca Ford has a monoblade, 123mm (I think) TB for the 2.9 and making well over 700HP at the wheels with it. I've read of street driveability problems with the monoblades, though.)
3) The FRPP kit comes with the Cobrajet fuel pump.
4) Sounds good to me.
5) Save the money for now.
6) Heard good things about it. Will get you a good 30 more HP than Ford Racing's canned tune.

I'm still using the stock injectors. No problems whatsoever. Get new spark plugs. I can't remember which ones came w/ my kit.

#13 ·
I called Whipple direct today and thry told me a 2.9L is only safe to 15-17psi, and in order to make 720 rwhp I would need at least 19psi. So in essence the 2.9L will run 17psi @ about 625 rwhp safely.

They are suggesting to run a 3.4L @ 20psi, along with the Whipple Twin 75mm TB and Whipple 123mm CAI.

Whipple said the same thing you did about the monoblade’s drivability.

I think I have no choice but to lower the engine and install a 3.4L with a safe tune @ 20psi and the accessories we already spoke about.

Race fuel is not an option for me, to dam expensive for a weekend driver.
:bluecap:

#15 ·
I understand that it is possible to run the 2.9 over 730 rwhp but I would rather error on the side of caution.

We all know that when you double the hp on stock internals you are taking a chance. Thats part of the thrill but I would rather have a motor run a few seasons than worry and baby it through one. My tuner wont run the 2.9 at that high of a psi because he cares about longevity of his tunes.

With that said I’m sure there are GT500’s that run high hp with small blowers for longer than a season and that just depends on the car. Its a chance either way and I appreciate your posts.

Thanks,

SpeedyMike

#18 ·
The 800hp kit is definitely not warrantied and if I am not mistaken Shelby does not crack the motor and upgrade the internals. Shelby GT500 keeps its factory forged internals intact when getting the SS upgrade.

BUT my vote....Pocket the $30,000.......Throw on a twin screw and call it a day :)

Shelby's website with the SuperSnake information

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2011gt500.asp

#20 ·
As others have said...forget the SS. Waste of money. I had a TVS on my 07 and was making close to 725rwhp. Lund was my tuner and that was with mono blade, AR headers. Drivability was like stock. Jon Lund has perfected the mono blade drivability.

Bare one thing in mind with all this....be patient and read. The 11's....which I now have, had their strategy changed drastically, and even the best tuners are still figuring them out. With your 12, I'm sure it's going to be even more complex. The 2.9 has very limited clearance to the firewall for the actuator. Read some installs over on SVTP forum. If your tuner is highly familiar with these cars, fine, if not, then I'd seek someone with vast experience like Lund or Justin at VMP. For what i,ts worth...jmo

#21 ·
I don't own my GT500 yet, but I do know cars, performance, drag racing, etc.... Tell me if I'm wrong though guys, yet I don't think you should be too worried about a 4.0 to beat Camaro's, whether it be Z28 or SS... Your main issue will be, with your 2011, or 2012, or any other GT500... TRACTION... From what I've seen, you need to set up the rear end for launches, get some sticky softer sidewall tires, and some rear stiffening bars, so the engine can bite. Once you can get it to bite in 1st and 2nd gear w/ the stock set up, then upgrade to the 2.9L and work to get that to bite again. There's guys with 500-600 horse running 9's pretty regularly even with out 4 links, and cheater slicks... they have much less money in their suspensions, and modest power upgrades, that you're looking at with a 4.0, engine build, etc.

#22 ·
Here's an example for you... 2012 Nissan GTR... Take a look at the stats. I know it's 4 wheel drive, but that's close to the stock GT500 horse power with the weight of 4 wheel drive, and it's 0-60 is south of 4 seconds. It's about power management, delivery to the pavement, and efficiency. Go out and do a 4000 RPM side step launch in your GT500 (after you break it in of course) and see how much power you actually transfer from the driveline to speed from the pavement. My guess is you'll be sitting in a cloud of smoke while the Z06 your gunning for has already taken off. This is all stock or if you have a 2.9 or a 4.0L... you need power management and delivery to the ground. The biggest downfall of the GT500 is the tires. The rear tires are about 3/4 the size (if that) of a Viper, Corvette, 911, etc. that are all much less weight, and close power to the GT500.

#23 ·
Wider rear wheels, wider rear tires, rear stiffening braces and bars, rear squat suspension, WOT 2 step (only to be used for launches) and a pulley / tune for the 5.4 and I would say your going to be tough to beat, and easily in the 3.8 sec. range in the 0-60. It is a heavy car, and that must be remembered. Think of a Porsche 911 or Nissan GTR and their launches. They don't launch at 2000 rpm and feather until they have traction, and then floor it with wheel spin through 1/2, and then actual sit down through 3.... They launch at 4000 RPM at full throttle (almost violently if you will) and are putting all 4 wheels worth of traction to the ground. You don't have that luxury of launches, until the traction is fixed, before more power is added.

#24 ·
Sorry for posts from a "non GT500 owner" but I use to drag race alot, and street race, and know these GT500's pretty well as an "outsider" because I studied alot before I will make my purchase (hopefully next week)

#25 ·
ok - my last comment. You shouldn't be afraid of losing to Camaro's... They should be afraid of you. Heck if you had a 5.0 they should be scared of that guy..., and 5.0 guy should be scared of you. Food chain my friend and reality.

#28 ·
I would recommend giving Van at Revan Racing a call, he is a sponser on this site. He races these cars and has a ton of knowlege. I bought every mod from him and his customer service is top notch. You should consider a Kenne Bell since your still in your research phase, I waited a year before I pulled the trigger and I could't be happier, every time I drive home I find myself looking for a Vette to terrorize instead of geting bullied like I used too on the street-It's a fun hobby, but expensive. No matter what blower you go with you will love it the Kenne Bell is the only real world feed back I can give you without just giving you a hypothetical. Good luck and let the sickness begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.