Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas issues (Gas pains)

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  OMB 
#1 ·
It turned cold around here and the wind really kicked up. So when I had to fill my car with gas I was freezing my rear off. And I got to thinking that it seemed like it took f-----g FOREVER to fill the tank. I'm convinced that gas pumps used to fill much quicker. Now they put in about a gallon a minute. I'm not sure if gas is harder to pump than it used to be or what is going on.

And I just saw an article talking about how violent crime had risen with people using leaded gas and how the violent crime supposedly has dropped with the advent of unleaded gas. Of course gas stations NOW try and contain the gas fumes so maybe that has something to do with it too. No more sniffing the gas as you put it in your car.

PM claimed in a story that any mass murderer was tested for problems. They talked about one guy who shot up a McDonalds and then either was shot by the cops or committed suicide. And when the guy was tested he had a cadmium level that was so high the doctors wondered why the guy wasn't dead in the first place. Turned out the guy was a welder, exposed to cadmium, and he had told a previous boss "You know, sometimes I think welding makes me a little crazy". Which might lend credence to theories of the leaded gas fumes making drivers a little crazy?!

#2 ·
I think when a gas station gets low on gas, the pumps are turned down some how. I've been to stations that are putting gas in at a rate of full just before retirement age. Come back a few days later (cuz I only waited for 5 gallons) and all is normal again.

#5 ·
Tak a nap Seldoon, just take a nap..

#8 ·
The biggest gas issue I have ever had was while undergoing high altitude hypoxia training while in the Air Force. We all got loaded into an "altitude chamber" which is code name for a large steel room. Big-ass pumps suck out all the air and we are lock in while breathing oxygen through a mask. Well... as the pressure outside your body lowers significantly, the air bubbles (read foul gas) inside your body start expanding (uncontrollably). You let out the longest (and proudest) fart of your entire adult macho male life! At some point, we are instructed to remove our masks and breathe some of the fine fart mist in the air. It was quite rank, but it's the gov'mint and ya gotta do it. So, while breathing said farts, you are then instructed to do some logic/reasoning/public math while you quickly become the dingiest blonde around. You barely remember your name due to lack of O2. If you progress long enough, you lose the ability to get your own mask back on and if no one intervienes, you die a miserable death while sucking in your buddy's farts.

So, as you can tell, I've been drain bamaged!:silly:

#23 ·
Stop it ...You're killing me..........On a more serious note...if there is one anywhere in this thread.......slow gas delivery at any particular pump usually means clogged filters...soon as they get cleaned, good to go...some station I have been to seem to need a complete station wide colon cleanse..sorry just could not resist..so much for seriousness...........:pimp:

#9 ·
Who was that masked man??

Why that was the Lone Ranger!!!

Talk about gas pains, I can remember the gas chambers in the military. Funny when you tell a non-military about being in a gas chamber they just KNOW you are pulling their leg.

#13 ·
... Now back to the initial post about slow gas pumps. If anyone cares to read. Back in the days before $1 gal gas, the pumps put out about 12 GPM typically, and the price computers were totally gear driven. When the prices started going NUTZ, the gears simply could NOT handle the rotational speed and would self destruct. The initial solution was to RESTRICT the flow to 6 GPM ( about half speed). Now as we have evolved to electronic meters, it seems that the companies have kept the restricted flow rates, I don't know why. So there you have it some more back in the day story from a Geezer that was there;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
I was convinced that the pumps did indeed run slower than they used to so glad to hear that it is not just my imagination. It could be that the slower pumps are due to a desire to avoid spilling gas or due to the crazy suction gadget now on the pumps to suck up fumes. I have heard that in some cases the gas pump was sucking the gas out of the tank (when the car was almost full) and sending it back into the station's gas tank and the driver of the car could have stood there pumping gas for hours, running up his bill.

What irritates me about the whole thing is I have also read articles about gas companies experimenting with automatic fill devices whereby you remain in your car and the device finds your gas opening and pumps in the gas for you and they claim those things can fill your tank within a minute.

I guess on a nice day I don't mind standing at the pump for 10 minutes, especially if there are some attractive women out filling their cars also but on a winter day with the wind howling those pumps seem to take FOREVER.

#15 ·
There is only one station near me that pumps at a decent speed. Luckily, it is on my way to work, so I try and make a point to go there. I hate the slow pumps...it makes me feel like I'm pumping sludge into my tank.

#17 ·
do any of you have to prepay?

a couple of provinces instituted a pre-pay law because of all the "gas and go's "...where a thief fill's up and takes off,or goes in and stab's/shoots the lone clerk late at night...then fills up on chips and pop/smokes/fuel and runs.

you drive up,then go in to stand in line and prepay for whatever amount you think you might need...then go out and fill.usually you've over paid,so go back in and stand in line for a refund.then you can leave.

there's a lot of smaller stations that don't have pay at the pump options.this can get pretty annoying on a long trip...they call it security,but really it's like being called a thief before you even get out of your car...lol

#18 ·
I guess there are two things. MOST of the stations I go to have a credit card slot in the pump itself and paying outside is one option. I just put in the credit card, it scans it and I put in the gas and drive off.

Where I can't do that and have to pre-pay they say "How much?" and I tell them I want to fill it so then the usually say give me your credit card, fill it and come back in and I do that. They charge me what is on the pump, and I drive off.

I don't think I could stand a station where I had to guess how much I thought it would take and pay in advance like that. I would never get a full tank as I would not want to go overboard and have to go back in and get the excess money back.

#19 ·
in those places without pay at the pump options,i rarely leave with a full tank...as I won't leave my credit card unattended for any reason.

as you can imagine,this routine can get annoying on a -30* winters day...some stations charge your card a certain amount...and automatically refund you if you under fill that preset dollar value.at least hey say they do...naturally I only pay at these places with my company fleet card.they don't get my Visa...ever.

and,back to the op's original complaint...yes,they do pump slower.reason being that they want to keep fume production down.it's for the environment.but I figure that if you pumped the fuel in faster there'd be less vapours produced overall...but what do I know.i don't work for the government.

#20 ·
Gas gets thicker when the weather gets cold....... Wait until it gets warmer to fuel up!
Leaving for Vegas boys, 85 and sunny.

#25 ·
Maybe that's what I need, a new filter, so I will be good TO GO...

Sorry ' bout that Old Man potty humor;)
That is one of my girlfriend's favorite expressions "Good to go". I tell her a little Ex-Lax and she will be good to go.

Another expression I hear often is "Please bare with me". A friend of mine said you can always tell people who have been members of a nudist colony as they use that expression a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.