Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is 600 - 650 rwhp streetable??

12K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  timberwolf 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I know that the right foot controls the power, BUT, I have a 2010 with stock power and 295 invos. I am used to a 2nd gear full throttle and the tires hook up. A 3rd gear doing 60 mph and I wish I had more. I need to know one thing. With a base tvs kit, I should be approx 550 rwhp and with a tune and a 2.6 upper, I should be approx 600 ish rwhp. Will I brake loose in 3rd on the highway? Will the car hook at all in second? Is 600 rwhp just too much for the street? Please help. Any comments would be helpfull.

#2 ·
I don't have a TVS, but I should be somewhere in the 570 range at the wheels. I am running 295 INVOs as well, and they hook most of the time in second (you'll learn to hit it right), and 3rd is always a blast. I'm going to go up to 315 NT05s since it's not my daily driver anymore. My only concern for you would be the TVS is a torque monster, so you may have troubles in 2nd with a TVS. I'm sure someone with that configuration will chime in.

#3 ·
I have a 2010 and just installed the vmp 2.6 with the idler, L&M TB and put down 563/555 and the car almost brakes the tires loose in second 3rd. pulls very well. I'm thinking of installing a IW lower it brings the torque up quicker.IMO I don't think you need to change blowers to meet your goal and with the right tire you should be fine.

#4 ·
thank you guys. Nice to hear that I should be able to have fun in 3rd and learn to control 2nd.
Looking forward to increasing the power.

Have a great weekend.

#5 · (Edited)
It is not the if the car can handle it, it is if the driver can handle the car and respect what is under the hood.
I am a COPART sub lot and see 3 to 4 shelbys come through the copart auctions every week that are totaled, that is right 3 to 4 totals a week from people that can't handle there HP. about 76% of these cars are stock the rest have mods. seems the ones with mods have less milage on them before they are totaled. Most with under 10K miles on them. It just makes me sick to see these cars belonging to people with more money then brains.
Easy come easy go to most of them.
Please don't take any of personal as there are a lot more out there that are doing just fine and driving around with over 600HP If you can respect what is under the hood then you will be just fine.

Dwan

example

Attachments

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Sorry Joe posted pictures from link instead. 1 of these is up this week and the other is the near future. Mine was totaled last fall and I bought it and rebuit it. I thank the girl that had mine and recked it every time I see here as I could not have aforded to build it the way I wanted from a new car but from a wreck it cost me about 1/2 of what I beleave it is now worth.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks for the pics Dwan.

#10 ·
2nd gear is no good with modded tvs but if you leave TC on and ease into the gas you can use 2 but 3-4 is great Iam at 685 rwhp you have to be careful make sure tuner leaves TC were you can turn it off and on also cold weather it is dangerous in any gear with or with out TC 428cj

#24 ·
My comment was not meant to wish bad will on anyone. Sorry if it came across that way.
as far as this thread goes, which we got a bit off track, 600 to 650 hp is street-able as long as it is used with respect to what can happen when amd how it is put to use.

Jimmy Carter became president selling peanuts

#26 ·
It is easy to say something that may ofend someone out there and not even mean anything personal.

Example: You're really coming across as an elitist dipstick.

Now don't take this wrong I got a laugh out of it. But this is the name of the car club I belong to. LOL http://www.juneaudipsticks.org/

Sorry I just had to share the laugh. I think I have made enough of an a$$ on this thread so I am just going to sit back and watch.
Thanks all.

#28 ·
Yes....600-650 is very streetable. Just use due care and common sense and you'll be fine.:pimp:

#30 ·
I'm late to this thread. Sorry.

My car is putting down 650 at the wheels. I have 21K miles on it now, and about 12K of those have been since the TVS and 2.65 pulley.

I've driven in rain, and even in light snow once. When just tooling around, I leave TC on. If I get to feeling froggy, I'll turn it off.

With TC on, I can break the rear wheels loose in 1st through 4th, if I try to. With it off, I don't have to try sometimes.

650 is very street-able, if you use common sense.

After having the TVS added, I did have to switch from the stock Goodyears to the BFG KDWs.

I have also added some suspension upgrades to get it to behave better:

UCA, LCAs, FRPP Handling Pack, Adjustable Camber Plates, and most recently (and probably the most noticeable improvement) FAYS2 Watts Link.

Oh, I also had the L&M TB added 2 weeks ago. The tune was changed from a drag based map to a more street friendly map. This has also helped with the car's manners.

I have a few other mods, but none are pertinent to the topic here.

The car is pretty much right where I want it now. I think I may be finally done with mods.

Famous last words...

#31 ·
Thank you for all of your inputs. Most was very helpfull. I am not going to get into the
TC issue. Everybody has there own personal thoughts on that topic. This thread was to be about the HP and streetability and not the use of traction control. I could only wish that if your input has nothing to do with the topic on hand, then just keep it to yourself.

Thank you and I will post some numbers and driveability when I get the TVS installed.
Have a great afternoon guys.
Ted.

#33 ·
When I first got my Shelby, I thought whoever mods it must be nuts. It was November and with the low temps TC is a must. Now that its hellishly hot and the tires grab so much better, I can fully understand making this car faster. But to deny that this car is not easy to handle in certain conditions is an accident waiting to happen. The only point on traction control is that we aren't on the road alone. I feel responsible to the general public to the point that I leave TC on unless I am looking to engage in battle. Mod away...just know how to drive.

#35 ·
My response was not meant to say every wrecked Shelby out there was owned my someone with more money then brains, Sorry if you took it that way. It is not just Shelby s that are high horse power machines that I see with little or almost no millage that are totaled. The ford GT's, Austin Martin's, Lambo's, Corvettes, Ferrari's, etc.

Today's list includes in the top 9 cars price wise. 3 LAMBORGHINI's, 2 FERRARI, 1 AUDI R8 4.2 QUA , 2 MERCEDES-BENZ S550, 1 ASTON MARTIN DBS,
Only 1 of these cars has over 10.000 miles on it, 1 has a little over 9K on it and all the others have less then 5K miles on them.

My point is there are to many high dollar, high horse power cars going to waist because some people can't respect what is under the hood. lt is like high horse power severs the connection between ones right foot and brain.

#36 ·
Simple.... With the right suspension, tires and brakes upgrades, you'll be fine.

My car makes 700RWHP+, and I have no issues. Just took the wife out for dinner.. I'm actually adding power with headers, and lighter driveshaft, which should bring things to near 750WHP, on pump gas, and I WILL drive her on the street. 95% of the time...

As of now, I can mash 2nd gear and not spin tires! It's nuts! Here's how:

Griggs GR40SS suspension and Nitto NT01s in 275s on all 4. I wish They were 305s, but that will be next season and another tire brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.