Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2015 GT500 keeping the 662 hp Trinity 5.8

13K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  13JFP 
#1 ·
Just received my December issue of Car and Driver with an article on the 2015 Mustang. Article titled, we leak the 2014 Mustang. They report initial offerings of the GT500 will keep the 662 hp Trinity 5.8 and sport a new independent rear suspension.

She's looking good and still looks like a mustang.

#3 ·
And then tons of goofs will lose their shirts as they sell their brand new '13 & "14 models to have the latest & greatest! I can see the heads turning now...LOL!

#5 ·
IF they used the 5.8 with the IRS, I think parts will be scattering on the pavement soon..

#7 ·
It might have been better, for 13/14 owners at least, if the 5.8 Trinity did not carry over into the new car. At least they could have had something unique and special. It's a smart move on Ford's part to encourage people to trade up if this is true. A 5.8 Trinity in a newer, smaller, lighter car.

#9 ·
Insider reports say the 5.8 doesn't fit in the new chassis.
I love my Trinity, but the Niche Line guys that actually build it report its done after this year. C&D probably is wrong, but we will see.
-J

#13 · (Edited)
I'll keep mine regardless, why would I trade up when it would have the same motor and not as nice looking? To save a few pounds and have a floaty ride? No... no..

I'm going by what a couple very informed people that come around this site every now and again have to say. I'll just believe it when I see it in the car. Not saying with 100% certainty it won't, just saying I won't believe it until I see it.

Possibly an aftermarket car (saleen, or a Roush?) I could see that... Maybe shelby america will be trying to force one in there. I don't think it will be a factory car though.

#19 · (Edited)
It would be nifty if the Trinity got another year, but a twin-turbo bigger-bore 5.0 variant could be even more nasty...

Is it just me, or does it seem that some are simply hypnotized by the 5.8 displacement figure, and the coolness of the word "Trinity"??

I mean, it's not like Ford can't produce a boosted Coyote variant that would render the Trinity as "second-most-powerful" on the Ford production engine list. It's not a matter of whether they could do it, it's more a matter of whether the bean-counters would be complicit with costs involved in making that much h.p. durable throughout the car's entire driveline.

If Ford did a Boss 351, I think they'd try to make the displacement happen with the superior-breathing Coyote engine. 5.8 vs 5.8, the Coyote would torch the Trinity in N/A form... At least that's my forecast.

Then again, I'm blabbing out of ignorance, as I don't know what the available "envelope" is with the Coyote block as it pertains to potential stroking or bore increases.

Anyone know about that?? Bueller?? Bueller?? :)

#20 ·
The 2014 Saleen S351 is said to be a Coyote that's either (I can't find specifics) stroked or bored to achieve 5.8L.

It's making (purportedly by Saleen) 700hp in EPA-certified SAE-net form.

If Saleen is doing a 5.8 blown Coyote, who's to say that the 5.8 rumored to be slipped into the new-platform Mustang isn't, in fact, a 5.8L COYOTE ??

Just puttin' that out there... :)

#23 ·
Wouldn't be called the trinity like the mag is saying though, would it?
Also, I thought all the design was going into the ecoboost 5.0 Why would they have another engine option that is only 100HP more? If the said is supposed to make 600HP? 100HP could be made just by modding the ecoboost.

#25 ·
My guess is that the IRS as an assy. is also heavier that the SRA.

The 2000 Cobra R got a IRS (like the later 03/04 Cobra's), and to put the IRS in a Mustang that otherwise came with a SRA required an IRS cradle in addition to the axle assy. to mount the IRS under the car. The cradle was a tube steel unit with gussets in the corners, this cradle itself added additional weight to the car that was not present with the SRA.

R

#28 ·
Wasn't there something about the hood height or clearance for a new 2015 auto safety standard that precluded fitting a big 5.8 plus supercharger?

#31 ·
So many rumors as to GT500, GT350, Mach 1 for 15/16. I've even heard Roush will replace Shelby, etc. Only Ford knows lol.
Can only wait and see...

#34 ·
IF C&D has nailed the styling, I like the car just fine and think it will appeal to most.

C&D alluded to future use of Trinity, but that runs afoul of several factors like the ability to fit the engine within the car and anecdotal reports from within Ford by those who actually make them. Any continued interim use would be as a combination stopgap and effort to further amortize existing tooling until the 2016 CAFE mandates after which Trinity has no rational existence.

Unless I misread or didn't read the article in its entirety, it makes no allusions about a future GT500.

My bet is still on a turbo Coyote as the eventual top dog powerplant in the new 'stang.....
Amen. Reports are additional work is needed before the TT work undertaken in CobraJet as a test bed are not quite delivering the combination of performance, reliability and economy goals Ford wants to achieve before releasing it to production in a warranty-covered product.

Any stopgap use of Trinity, perhaps by a combination repackaging and shoehorning would be a short-lived effort made in too-small numbers to derive the kind of yield that would make the effort worth undertaking. That's not to say a Trinity-based CobraJet couldn't be in the works or some other such specialty product, but I'm continuing to believe C&D is giving-in to hype or disinformation and 2015 will be model year without a GT500 placeholder, or a short-year run that switches over to 2016 to both increase the exclusivity of 50th anniversary cars and buy Ford the time it needs to introduce a HiPo version without needing to wait an entire traditional model year cycle.

#35 ·
If the new halo V8 engine has less displacement, but a cooler/heavier nickname than "Trinity", is it a wash?? ;) ;) ;) :)

Just stirring the pot! :jester: I think everybody needs to do a bit of self-reflection and ask themselves if they're just hung-up on numbers and names (5.8 and "Trinity"), or are they actually interested in having the hottest/nastiest hardware under their hood.

I do understand the desire to have mechanicals that are unique and set apart from the GT...

My only point is, Ford can do that, without necessarily clinging to old hardware that delivers poorer hp-per-liter.

With all these opposing rumors flying about, you almost have to wonder whether Ford is playing games, for the pure sport and competitive-advantage of keeping Chevy guessing and guessing and guessing right up to the latest possible moment.

It's hard to set target-benchmarks when you have no clue what the competition will be. :browsmiley:

#39 ·
If the new halo V8 engine has less displacement, but a cooler/heavier nickname than "Trinity", is it a wash?? ;) ;) ;) :)

Just stirring the pot! :jester: I think everybody needs to do a bit of self-reflection and ask themselves if they're just hung-up on numbers and names (5.8 and "Trinity"), or are they actually interested in having the hottest/nastiest hardware under their hood.
It's neither intrinsically better, worse or a wash. It's different. A crucial trait of the current-generation large-displacement supercharged motors is a sensory experience turbocharging or even massive amounts of displacement alone doesn't deliver.

No matter how many tenths quicker or miles per hour faster or slower one engine may or may not be relative to another, the big, hairy, snarling growl and power delivery of a supercharged V8 with massive amounts of displacement is utterly unique. Combined with the knack Ford developed for imbuing S197 with so much of its retro heritage without being dated, it's a unique combination an IRS will take as much away from as turbocharging or more contemporary styling.

As much of a market as may exist for a futuristically-styled twin-turbo corer carver, especially in markets with entirely different operating economics that lack the same cultural appreciation for much of what resonates so well in North America, S550 will likely be an entirely different experience. Whether it's better or worse will be highly individualized. But, above all, the highest performance versions aren't likely to resemble anything we've known so far.

And even in other markets where turbocharging fewer cylinders has become the standard path to maximum performance, line up a 458, Aventador, Vantage V12 and a Trinity GT500 next to each other, and every smartphone immediately gets pointed at the GT500 first. No matter how much more advanced, sophisticated and refined today's Eurocustomer believes himself to be, ESPECIALLY compared to crude and crass Americans, even they can't ignore the visceral brute force satisfaction lots of big cylinders and belt-driven forced induction alone deliver.

Either way, it's not ONLY about having the biggest or fastest whatever. For those with a tremendous affinity for the Trinity, and even its 5.4 predecessor, it's about something very, VERY specific that transcends "better" or "worse".

#44 ·
What build date?

Currently building a Honda Civic automatic transmission, LOL

#40 ·
Amen Maddy! The 13' 14' is a special car. I'm not stuck on the engine nickname, or the displacement. I'm stuck on the whole car as complete package.
In comparison to my 12' Shelby, & other various year model Shelby's I've driven & ridden in, there is none.
Whatever comes next in the S550 will be unique to that platform. I'm sure Ford won't produce a dud. They've done their homework.
In the end, I think this 2 year run of Shelby's will always be remembered as the top dog of the pack. How ever accurate the leaked out photos of the 15' are, they show me less styling in a way. It's getting a little too rounded off for my taste. Makes me think in a few years, all cars will look nearly the same from a distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.