Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the verdict on using an oil seperator? Do it or not?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Joe G 
#1 ·
I'm taking delivery of my '12 GT500 today. Already have the JLT oil separator at home.

I'm skeptical about the oil separator.... as in should i use or not? How in the world will a little bit of synthetic oil going down the blower "gum" anything up? Why didn't they do this from the factory? I'm tempted to return it.

#2 · (Edited)
Alot of positive and negative on this one. Personally I believe it is part of the design. A little bit of lube never heart anyone and there is a drain in the plenum and no I am not running a seperator. Take the wife, girl friend, or whoever out for dinner. Better money spent in my opinion. Then again Justin may disagree. His does seem to be the best design for efficiency and plug and play.

#11 ·
Then again Justin may disagree. His does seem to be the best design for efficiency and plug and play.
Justin = VMP, does not make these

Jay = JLT makes these. :thinkerg:

#3 ·
Had one on my 2011 till I did my blower upgrade on 04/29/2011.
The owner of the shop that did my work, JDM Engineering, Freehold N.J., Jim Sr. told me the blower needs lube because of the tight lobe clearances. Based on this conversation, I removed the seperator.
As with most topics, there are those that would disagree. I can only tell you what I'm doing with my motor.................years down the road, we'll all have the answer !!

#4 ·
+1 I have read and been told the same.

#5 ·
My concern on this is the oil coating the intercooler which seems like it would decrease its ability to remove heat from the charge air.I have cleaned the intercooler several times and got it back to the nice aluminum color it shoud be-Not as easy now with the KB installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.