Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ford racing tvs 2.3 vs. whipple 2.9 vs vmp tvs

21K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  murrocket 
#1 ·
I know this has been somewhat covered but wanted to get some input. Looks like you can get a new takeoff ford racing tvs from a 13-14 gt500 for $2,000 or less to put on a 07-09 shelby! Sounds like a good deal? All of them should make 700 hp or more. Is there any reason not to a take off from a new Shelby? Is the whipple worth the added cost? Justin seems to have a great product also at VMP.

#2 ·
It's really just your preference or what you are using the car for. You will get a different answer from everybody. From what I have learned through my experience with modding, I can tell you that the Kenne Bell 2.8 is amazing and I would suspect that the Whipple is very similar.

My viewpoint has been somewhat swayed with the circumstances that I have had with my car. Now I would tell you that any upgrades I may aor may not do to the 14 would only be Ford Racing options-I understand they are conservative in their tune, but that is not a bad thing.

I say Ford Racing! alot will disagree with me, but I am on a new kick with the OEM manufacturer knowing what's best and that is because when they build something they have to construct it so it lasts 100k plus miles-that is a theory

DD

#3 ·
I have the complete FR750 Whipple 2.9 kit installed on my '11 and love it. I agree with topsales and like the fact that Ford developed a nice conservative tune that shouldn't hurt the car - not even the cats.

That being said, the TVS is the most popular blower upgrade and there are many satisfied customers on this site.

#4 · (Edited)
Short version. IF the car's warranty is truly an issue there's only one option and only one way to have it installed. FORD It costs a lot and leaves a lot of potential on the table.

The other options come with their own warranties except for the "13 TVS". Makes no difference if you buy it as a take off or new in a kit. No warranty. No tech support.

VMP TVS. 1 year limited warranty. Sealed for life (100, 000 miles). The leading manufacturer of TVS Superchargers make them for us, to our specs. Everything we make or have made is designed around our calibrations. Designed to be optimal. Unlimited tech support.

Compare, and decide what works best for your particular needs, goals and usage.
Bj

Bj McCarty
Business Manager
VMP Tuning
Bj@vmptuning.com
(321) 206-9369 x 112
Cellular **bjvmp (send)

#5 ·
Justin you seem to really know your stuff. My plans are as such. Next week I am having the Ford Racing CAI, 2.6 pulley and tune done. Having my local Michigan guy, Alternative Auto Performance do the work. I just saw this deal though for $2k for the 13TVS and thought what a great deal. I don't ever plan on changing internals on the engine so staying in the 700-750 flywheel hp is the goal. If I did get the VMP TVS can my local guy do a tune or do you really recommend yours?

#7 ·
VMP TVS. That's my vote.

Here's why....
1. Warranty and tech support. Any time I have needed something (parts, tech info, or tune), BJ and Justin have been there every step of the way. Hard to find support from a vendor like they can offer. Justin's tunes are spot on... It will drive like a stock car until you hit the GO pedal.

2. Ease of installation... The thing literally falls right on.

3. The thing just ROCKS... The torque is amazing, the top end power is there too. Really a tough combo to beat. With the right selection of add on modifications, you can make some big power.

#11 ·
That is great to hear BJ! Ok I am convinced VMP is the way to go. There are so many people that say great things and I can't really find any negative! Now that Lidio, my long term tuner, can work with it, thats perfect. He really is the only one I have come to trust over the years. I will talk to him next week when I drop off the car. Thanks BJ. And sorry to refer to you as Justin in the early posts. Thought that is who I was talking to! :) Should I talk him into using your pulley? He was talking about using the 2.6 Metco.

#12 ·
He's a Metco dealer. I'm sure he'll have no issue with using ours. Metco will fit, it's just a little different on the snout as far as where you position it.

No problem with referring to me as Justin. VNMOUS1 has been yours truly since 2006. I work for Justin and we are 100% in sync with business matters.

The other great thing for you ...and Lidio...is that we have that 1 year warranty on the unit. The Ford piece has none.

bj

#13 ·
kkosh - You will be very pleased with the product and support from VMP. Justin and BJ are top notch. You and your car will be very very happy!

#15 ·
Got Facebook? As sad as this is, it truly is the way we keep folks informed as to our VMP activities. We were in town for 9 days. Ran out to Paul's, to IN to see Brent, Ford, Roush, PAS and a bunch of time at Woodward.

One of the reasons we were there was to witness the birth of the newest VMP TVS Supercharger, the 1.9L upgrade for Roush M90 equipped cars.

This thing KILLS.

We put unit #1 on a Bullitt the other day and made 483/460, about 60 over the M90 on both numbers. Torque up the wazoo. It's on the site now.

With as many M90 as run around up there, you may want to check it out.

Anyway..... Meet us halfway in October when we head to Bowling Green NMRA.

Bj McCarty
Business Manager
VMP Tuning
Bj@vmptuning.com
(321) 206-9369 x 112
Cellular **bjvmp (send)

#20 ·
I'm looking to start my first mod's on a 2012 GT500 SVTPP, maybe somewhere in the 3-4K price range, starting with a VMP TVS and pulley I think, any recommendations on size and what. After the blower and pulley, what else should I be looking at doing.

Thanks ahead of time for any input from you guy's that have already done your mod's.

Wolfangel96

#23 ·
This...........
http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-power-packs/gt500jlt123pak/

This............
http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-induction/72elbow11/

This............
http://vmptuning.com/superchargers/strippertvs/

This............
http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-cooling/afcohedualtank/

So, what you get is a VMP TVS "stripper", a VMP CNC port matched elbow, JLT 123mm intake, 2.50" pulley, 90mm idler, SCT X3 handheld device, VMP Custom tunes by Justin Starkey, AFCO Pro-Series Dual Fan heat exchanger, 3x tank.

Everything you need til you're ready for a larger throttle body or a lower damper.

$4677.98 list. It's Friday afternoon and I'm feeling a little loose with the boss's money.

SO.....if you or anyone wants this package, call my cell phone at **BJVMP (then hit send from your cellphone) and I'll get it out to you at a phenomenal price....and I DO mean phenomenal!!:deal:

In fact, I'll do the price through Monday but you can't order online...only via my cellphone and I can't post the price.

Have a great weekend.

bj

#24 ·
Bj,

Have a couple of questions for you:

1. Please tell me the difference between VMP package and Ford Racing package (13 TVS, elbow, 65mm tb) TVS. How much real difference is there besides the blower warranty. As far as a tune, you guys offer a tune for FR TVS 299 + 150. The ford TVS package can be bought for $2700, plus your tune for $450 = $3150 and you get the 65mm TB........ Can you beat that price (see #2 below)?

2. On your weekend package deal, PM me the price without SCT handheld, 2.5 pulley, 90mm idler, and AFCO HE (got these already). Can you add in a 65mm tb to the rest and still keep it phenomenal?

Thanks...

#26 ·
Bj,

Have a couple of questions for you:

1. Please tell me the difference between VMP package and Ford Racing package (13 TVS, elbow, 65mm tb) TVS. How much real difference is there besides the blower warranty. As far as a tune, you guys offer a tune for FR TVS 299 + 150. The ford TVS package can be bought for $2700, plus your tune for $450 = $3150 and you get the 65mm TB........ Can you beat that price (see #2 below)?

2. On your weekend package deal, PM me the price without SCT handheld, 2.5 pulley, 90mm idler, and AFCO HE (got these already). Can you add in a 65mm tb to the rest and still keep it phenomenal?

Thanks...
Wow, $2700 is a couple of hundred cheaper than even Tousley Ford Parts has offered it. That's cheap.

Now, to your question:

1. Ported inlet, cnc port matched elbow, different snout. It's all about airflow in these animals. And while you may not think warranty matters, I can tell you three of the Ford units that have crapped out in the past year. I know of one of ours that had a manufacturing flaw. Replaced under warranty. A few thousand bucks is a lotta dough to risk for a couple of hundred in my opinion. But then again people drive without insurance too.

The VMP TVS doesn't look like grandma's apple pie. I have NO idea of what the hell they were thinking on that one. I get the 5.8 since it's for their "halo" car....I get SVT. But the lattice work? :badrazz:

Short version on the Ford kit. They have nothing in the kit. They COULD charge even less than they do, but they won't. They put crap in that you don't need (belt, fuel rails, etc) and a nice throttle body. Realistically, you're getting a blower, a pulley you'll change out anyway, some junk and a throttle body for....let's call it $2700.

Now the math. Ours includes the pulley you'll actually want (add $150 to the price of the Ford, plus a pulley tool or maybe you can borrow one). Now you're at $2850. Add in the $150 premium that not only we but others charge for tunes for that blower. Sub total is now $3000.00. You still need tunes for both of them. $199.00

$3200 vs $3700. And you can get a Twin Jet 67mm throttle body with ours. Bigger. Better.

We're more expensive. When you look at the pieces and parts...factor in the warranty and unlimited tech support and the fact that every additional part you buy from us in the future will be tuned for at no charge......then it's up to the buyer to roll the dice. We know exactly how many of the Ford units have been sold. They're cheap. Money is hard to come by and we get it. That's why we create more value than Ford can through the warranty, tech support, service and calibrations. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Good or bad.

Wish I could sell ours cheaper, but I can't. A: Because we can't undercut our valuable dealers. B: Because we don't have 5000 'on car' units to force the manufacturer into lowball pricing. Trust me, they don't like it.

We're here when you need us. That's a good thing.

Oh, and your price for the special....email me please. I don't do ANY business on PM for security reasons. Thanks

bj

#29 ·
The VMP TVS doesn't look like grandma's apple pie. I have NO idea of what the hell they were thinking on that one. I get the 5.8 since it's for their "halo" car....I get SVT. But the lattice work?

Short version on the Ford kit. They have nothing in the kit. They COULD charge even less than they do, but they won't. They put crap in that you don't need (belt, fuel rails, etc) and a nice throttle body. Realistically, you're getting a blower, a pulley you'll change out anyway, some junk and a throttle body for....let's call it $2700.

That's why we create more value than Ford can through the warranty, tech support, service and calibrations. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Good or bad.

BJ

I love my Apple Pie along with a Side of (belt, fuel rails, etc and 65 mm TB). Oh yeah used all of them.

Warranty:Ford Designed this Blower to go 5 years/60 miles under warranty ( I was willing to take my chances )

And at the end of my day this proved to be a very good investment for the power level I was looking for.:cheers:

Tuna

#31 ·
Much more!

#33 ·
The kit from FR has the blower, throttle body, dual fuel pump, cold air intake and tune.

What do you "need"? Depends on what you are doing... The cold air intake that FR supplied was the exact same filter housing as my 11' OEM. It did have the resonator delete however. Aside from getting a tune from another source, I'd say the biggest "need" is on the fuel delivery side. For my 11, the stock fuel rails and injectors are good, but the dual fuel pump delivers more gas than the OEM pump.

This would be a great blower for someone that didn't care about the FR tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.