Adding Sta-bil with the capless fuel opening [Archive] - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum

: Adding Sta-bil with the capless fuel opening

jrzycobra
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Well I decided to put the GT500 away for the winter :( and one of the tasks is to put Sta-bil fuel stabilizer in. So I go to the gas station on a half of a tank, park away from the pumps, and proceed to put the Sta-bil in. The idea being that when the fresh gas goes in it will help mix everything up.

Well being totally aware of the capless filler and that it unlocks with the two little buttons on each side for a gasoline nozzle to push, I put the bottle neck in there just to find out it wasn't wide enough to hit the buttons. So, naturally the fuel stabilizer poured down the overfill and out the bottom. :mofo:

I went back home and luckily I found a clean funnel that worked. Back to the gas station for a do-over. I wanted to post this for anyone who has a need to open the filler. Make sure the funnel is about the same size of a fuel nozzle and look down the hole to make sure the door opens!

dmwphoto
12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
thanks for the info

do over... lol

king
12-11-2010, 10:01 PM
A funnel came with the car. Check in the trunk near/around where the spare would be. I know for fact my 2010 came with one because I used the thing to put my Sta Bil in the tank. This funnel is included in ALL Fords with capless fuel so that you can put fuel in the tank from a gas can in the event you run it dry. Of course, it works well to put Sta Bil in the tank too...

MikeVA
12-12-2010, 05:29 AM
A funnel came with the car. Check in the trunk near/around where the spare would be. I know for fact my 2010 came with one because I used the thing to put my Sta Bil in the tank. This funnel is included in ALL Fords with capless fuel so that you can put fuel in the tank from a gas can in the event you run it dry. Of course, it works well to put Sta Bil in the tank too...

Sure glad you reminded me of that. I forgot.

jrzycobra
12-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Well I'll be darned. I think I only looked in there when I first got it and never opened the spare tire compartment again. If I saw it I forgot all about it! Thanks for posting the final solution! :thinkerg:

Alloy Snake
12-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Another fuel additive to look at is formulax2,I just saw it on a boat maintainance program and it breaks down the water caused by the alchohol in the fuel.It looked good on TV anyway.

Bobbyblaze
12-16-2010, 01:47 AM
LOL, wish I would have read this a month ago, I found out the same way you did.

prboss
12-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Me too. Tried to put it in right before i dropped it off for winter storage. Fuel stablizer all ove the side of the car. I'm wiping it off with a rag at the storage place and the lady is looking at me like i'm an anxious parent wiping his kids face at the bus stop before school. She actually told me "everything will be ok". Hopefully the fuel will without the stablizer!

jrzycobra
12-20-2010, 06:52 AM
If anyone wants to order another funnel, or a couple like I did, here's the info:

Part# 8U5Z-17B068-B

Cost: $7.33

I figure one to keep clean (not stinking like fuel) in the trunk, one for regular use, and another just to have.

After all, the best things in life we get "just to have." :grinbiginvert:

bigsnake
12-22-2010, 08:43 AM
If anyone wants to order another funnel, or a couple like I did, here's the info:

Part# 8U5Z-17B068-B

I figure one to keep clean (not stinking like fuel) in the trunk, one for regular use, and another just to have.

Good idea, thanks!

dmwphoto
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks ordered 2 for me and 2 for a friend

prboss
12-22-2010, 05:28 PM
is this a Ford part ordered from dealer?

dmwphoto
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
yes it is.

prboss
10-29-2011, 03:25 PM
A funnel came with the car. Check in the trunk near/around where the spare would be. I know for fact my 2010 came with one because I used the thing to put my Sta Bil in the tank. This funnel is included in ALL Fords with capless fuel so that you can put fuel in the tank from a gas can in the event you run it dry. Of course, it works well to put Sta Bil in the tank too...Thanks fot the information.

bradsask
10-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey Prboss, you necro'd a thread almost a year old!

...with GOOD info that I would have completely missed if you hadn't!! :)

Thanks!

Brad

GTOGreg
11-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Don't forget it at the track either, many of the race fuel nozzles won't fit in the capless deal, so you'll need to whip out 'ur funnel.

Seldoon
11-05-2011, 11:15 PM
From the Shelby supplemental manual.
RUNNING OUT OF FUEL
If you have run out of fuel and need to refill the vehicle with a portable
fuel container, see Running out of fuel in the Maintenance and
Specifications chapter for proper fuel filling method using a portable
fuel container and the included fuel filler funnel. Do not insert the
nozzle of portable fuel containers or any type of aftermarket funnels into
the Easy Fuel™ “no cap” fuel system as it can be damaged. You must
use the included funnel in such circumstances.

WARNING: Do not insert the nozzle of portable fuel containers
or aftermarket funnels into the Easy Fuel™ system. This could
damage the fuel system and its seal, and may cause fuel to run onto
the ground instead of filling the tank, all of which could result in
serious personal injury.

Snake Doc
11-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Glad the thread was resurrected as I missed it the first time around also.

I found my funnel tucked into a notch in the Styrofoam holder for the air pump, etc. in the spare tire well. :silly:

NastyGT500
11-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Part# 8U5Z-17B068-B

Thanks for the info!!!!