Oil ? - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13
 
Oil ?

Curious what engine oil y'all are using or planning to use? I'm getting ready to do the first oil change @ 500 miles. Not sure where to get a fully synthetic oil with the recommended viscosity? Dealer?

ATL54 Performance White/Vista Blue coupe delivered 9/7
ATL54 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
shlbysvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,391
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL54 View Post
Curious what engine oil y'all are using or planning to use? I'm getting ready to do the first oil change @ 500 miles. Not sure where to get a fully synthetic oil with the recommended viscosity? Dealer?

ATL54 Performance White/Vista Blue coupe delivered 9/7
I have not received my Shelby yet but in preparation I just purchased Castrol. I had a hard time finding 5/50 but Auto Barn was the only store in town that stocked that product in my area. The oil filter is the same as the filter for any ford 5.4.

[/I]Ordered - 3/24/06, Blend date - 8/21/06, Build date - 8/30/06, Gate release - 9/1/06, Shipped - 9/13/06, Delivery - 9/19/06, Coupe, Tungsten, Satin silver stripes, Charcoal interior w/upgrade, Shaker 1000, #96 of 384 Tungstens ever to be built.
Best run to date: 11.08 @ 126
shlbysvt is offline  
post #3 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
07 SHELBY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
 
Re: Oil ?

For what it is worth,at this time the only oil that is certified for the Shelby GT500 is Motorcraft full synthetic 5W50.Next year Syntec (Castrol) and Mobil 1 full synthetic will PROBABLY be certified but if you have engine problems and you have to prove what motor oil you used you will not be covered under warranty.Saying that a new Shelby motor runs $18,000.

Torch Red
White Stripes
Shaker 1000
Uprade Interior
Sirius Radio
RECEIPT DATE:4/26/2006
SERIALIZE DATE:6/30/2006
SEGMENT DATE:6/30/2006
SEQUENCE DATE:7/17/2006
BLEND DATE:7/26/2006
PRODUCED DATE:8/4/2006
GATE RELEASE DATE:8/8/2006
SHIP DATE:8/18/2006
ARRIVAL DATE:8/18/2006
SOLD DATE:8/18/2006

.........................07....................... .............

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
07 SHELBY is offline  
post #4 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
rpretzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 SHELBY View Post
For what it is worth,at this time the only oil that is certified for the Shelby GT500 is Motorcraft full synthetic 5W50.Next year Syntec (Castrol) and Mobil 1 full synthetic will PROBABLY be certified but if you have engine problems and you have to prove what motor oil you used you will not be covered under warranty.Saying that a new Shelby motor runs $18,000.
Wow! That's pretty harsh. I mean, really, how different are motor oils these days, particularly the top tier ones, when it comes to engine protection? I would think, as long as you're not using some off-brand, recycled sludge, the warrant wouldn't be an issue. Just shows you how much I know.

2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
rpretzel is offline  
post #5 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Member
 
07 SHELBY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
Wow! That's pretty harsh. I mean, really, how different are motor oils these days, particularly the top tier ones, when it comes to engine protection? I would think, as long as you're not using some off-brand, recycled sludge, the warrant wouldn't be an issue. Just shows you how much I know.
I did a lot of research on this subject for my own personal reasons.I forget off hand what the spec. numbers and letters are xxxxxxxxxx-A are Castrol and Mobil 1.For the Shelby it has to bexxxxxxxxxx-B,and the only one that meets the spec at this time is Motorcraft 5W 50 full synthetic.I checked with Castrol and Mobil and Ford and this I know for sure.I bought Castrol and took it back, the Ford dealer said they would change it for $65.00 + tax.I did get another quote from another dealership for $130.00.Check around........................07.................. ............

Torch Red
White Stripes
Shaker 1000
Uprade Interior
Sirius Radio
RECEIPT DATE:4/26/2006
SERIALIZE DATE:6/30/2006
SEGMENT DATE:6/30/2006
SEQUENCE DATE:7/17/2006
BLEND DATE:7/26/2006
PRODUCED DATE:8/4/2006
GATE RELEASE DATE:8/8/2006
SHIP DATE:8/18/2006
ARRIVAL DATE:8/18/2006
SOLD DATE:8/18/2006

.........................07....................... .............

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
07 SHELBY is offline  
post #6 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
rpretzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 SHELBY View Post
I did a lot of research on this subject for my own personal reasons.I forget off hand what the spec. numbers and letters are xxxxxxxxxx-A are Castrol and Mobil 1.For the Shelby it has to bexxxxxxxxxx-B,and the only one that meets the spec at this time is Motorcraft 5W 50 full synthetic.I checked with Castrol and Mobil and Ford and this I know for sure.I bought Castrol and took it back, the Ford dealer said they would change it for $65.00 + tax.I did get another quote from another dealership for $130.00.Check around........................07.................. ............
$130.00??? That's insane.

In case you wanted to know, the actual specs numbers are:
WSS-M2C931-A - API SL, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC
WSS-M2C931-B : API SM, SAE 5W-50, FULL SYNTHETIC

I read on another board that the early owner's manuals referenced version A, but later ones seem to be referencing version B.

Edit: You are absolutely correct. Castrol is rated to version A (SL not SM)

2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune

Last edited by rpretzel; 09-15-2006 at 02:27 PM.
rpretzel is offline  
post #7 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
rpretzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
 
Re: Oil ?

I just read the PDS for Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and it states, "Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended" even though the oil is certified to the WSS-M2C931-A specification and not the WSS-M2C931-B specification.

I'm not sure what to think now.

Castrol Syntec Product Data Sheet

2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
rpretzel is offline  
post #8 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
07 SHELBY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
I just read the PDS for Castrol Syntec 5W-50, and it states, "Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended" even though the oil is certified to the WSS-M2C931-A specification and not the WSS-M2C931-B specification.

I'm not sure what to think now.

Castrol Syntec Product Data Sheet
I talked to Castrol (they have a lot of ties with Ford) and they specifically told me and so did Ford that it is not approved by Ford at this time.Castrol expects to be approved by the middle of ............07............Some will think I am splitting hairs here but the reality of it is, if for any reason you have engine problems and did not meet there requirements for any reason(and they will ask for receipts)you void their warranty.I have gone over this subject extensively with the Factory rep(Ralph Arning),Castrol,Mobil 1 and the dealership.Take it for what it is worth,$18,000.............07............

Torch Red
White Stripes
Shaker 1000
Uprade Interior
Sirius Radio
RECEIPT DATE:4/26/2006
SERIALIZE DATE:6/30/2006
SEGMENT DATE:6/30/2006
SEQUENCE DATE:7/17/2006
BLEND DATE:7/26/2006
PRODUCED DATE:8/4/2006
GATE RELEASE DATE:8/8/2006
SHIP DATE:8/18/2006
ARRIVAL DATE:8/18/2006
SOLD DATE:8/18/2006

.........................07....................... .............

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
07 SHELBY is offline  
post #9 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
rpretzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 2,466
 
Re: Oil ?

I believe every word of it, 07. I just think Ford is being entirely too anal about this.

Because I didn't feel like working very hard today, I decided to read the Ford specs and the related ASTM and API specs. From what I could tell, the difference in performance requirements between SM and SL ratings is negligible.

Anyway, I'm going to skip out of work and have a couple of beers.

2007 Shelby GT500 - Vista Blue / Tungsten Stripes

Ordered: March 27th, 2006
Home: May 4, 2007

733 rwhp / 721 rwtq

Power Mods:
2.9L Whipple, 3" pulley, IW +10% lower pulley, JLT CAI, 160mm TB, AR headers, 72 lb injectors, Fore Precision fuel rails, HPX MAF sensor, KB Boost-a-pump, Jon Lund tune
rpretzel is offline  
post #10 of 155 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
07 SHELBY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,724
 
Re: Oil ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpretzel View Post
I believe every word of it, 07. I just think Ford is being entirely too anal about this.

Because I didn't feel like working very hard today, I decided to read the Ford specs and the related ASTM and API specs. From what I could tell, the difference in performance requirements between SM and SL ratings is negligible.

Anyway, I'm going to skip out of work and have a couple of beers.
Bravo,go have a cold 1,2,3,4,5 or 6.By the way I am with you but I want to tell the facts.

Torch Red
White Stripes
Shaker 1000
Uprade Interior
Sirius Radio
RECEIPT DATE:4/26/2006
SERIALIZE DATE:6/30/2006
SEGMENT DATE:6/30/2006
SEQUENCE DATE:7/17/2006
BLEND DATE:7/26/2006
PRODUCED DATE:8/4/2006
GATE RELEASE DATE:8/8/2006
SHIP DATE:8/18/2006
ARRIVAL DATE:8/18/2006
SOLD DATE:8/18/2006

.........................07....................... .............

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
07 SHELBY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome