Clutch/trans Tsb Released - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Clutch/trans Tsb Released

TSB
08-16-4 SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: July 28, 2008

FORD: 2007-2009 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift any gear, gear grinding during shifts any gear, vehicle creeps with trans in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application, clutch slippage in gear with clutch pedal released, hiss noise with clutch pedal fully depressed (hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material). These symptoms may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving). The distortion of the flywheel may prevent complete disengagement of the clutch. The system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: THIS ARTICLE APPLIES TO VEHICLES WITH PRIOR REPAIRS, AS WELL AS THOSE WITH MINOR MODIFICATIONS, EXHIBITING ABOVE SYMPTOMS.

NOTE: THE GT500 CLUTCH SHOULD BE DIAGNOSED/REMOVED/REPLACED AS A COMPLETE ASSEMBLY ONLY. DO NOT TAKE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY APART.

Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per WSM, Section 308-03C.
Assemble the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.
Remove clutch disc and plate assembly and pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.
Remove and replace flywheel per WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in flywheel kit.
Install new pilot bearing per WSM, Section 308-01.
Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per online WSM, Section 308-01 (vehicles with solid design flywheel). Discard old bolts and use bolts provided in clutch kit. Tighten bolts to 89 lb-in (10 N-m) in a star pattern. Tighten an additional 90 degrees in a star pattern.
Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per WSM, Section 308-01.
Install the transmission per WSM, Section 308-03C.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7R3Z-6375-B Flywheel Kit
7R3Z-7L596-A Clutch Kit
7R3Z-7C391-A Trans Kit
XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant
XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON V-Transmission Fluid
PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease
TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant
TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer
F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing
1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
081604A 2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft, Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly, Pilot Bearing and, Flywheel Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 7003A2, 7003A3, 7003A6, 1007D7, 5212B) 7.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6375 69

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2008 Ford Motor Company

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Concealed Carry, don't leave home without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 AM

Re: Clutch/trans Tsb Released

that's a quick post Joe. You beat out Grabber getting it here..boy is he gonna be upset..hehehe.
Looks like their only rebuilding the tranny's vice replacing them. Figures. Guess i'm one of the lucky ones, even though numbers don't match anymore. That's ok with me.

#7 Kona Blue Vert 2011

www.bvmperformance.com

HE/RAD by www.revanracing.com
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen Grabber here in over a week....................

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Concealed Carry, don't leave home without it.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM

Repair and not replace seems to be the new order of business. Some of us were fortunate enough to keep the original tranny as well as receive a replacement. Torque specs are back to the original due to the change in the flywheel. The original flywheel was experiencing wharping issues and the temporary fix was to lower the torque specs on the clutch. I also like the idea of the change in the pilot bearing, something I noticed on milezperhour's photos, which I commented on in his thread. His input shaft had quite a bit of rust and the needle bearings left rust marks on the tip of the input shaft.

[/I]Ordered - 3/24/06, Blend date - 8/21/06, Build date - 8/30/06, Gate release - 9/1/06, Shipped - 9/13/06, Delivery - 9/19/06, Coupe, Tungsten, Satin silver stripes, Charcoal interior w/upgrade, Shaker 1000, #96 of 384 Tungstens ever to be built.
Best run to date: 11.08 @ 126

Last edited by shlbysvt; 07-29-2008 at 10:43 AM.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Hmm... I have a really stupid question.............

"The clutch fully depressed"

what does this mean? the clutch is pushed in all the way? or the clutch is released all the way?

Ordered June 6, 2006
V.I.N. January 8, 2007
Delivered and Picked up February 16, 2007
First Drive March 24, 2007
Last Drive of the year November 24
First year Mileage: 20,015
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee5707 View Post

what does this mean? the clutch is pushed in all the way? or the clutch is released all the way?
The clutch is pushed in all the way.

[/I]Ordered - 3/24/06, Blend date - 8/21/06, Build date - 8/30/06, Gate release - 9/1/06, Shipped - 9/13/06, Delivery - 9/19/06, Coupe, Tungsten, Satin silver stripes, Charcoal interior w/upgrade, Shaker 1000, #96 of 384 Tungstens ever to be built.
Best run to date: 11.08 @ 126
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee5707 View Post

It means pushed in all the way.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlbysvt View Post
Some of us were fortunate enough to keep the original tranny as well as receive a replacement. .
Well if someone could re-divert my orig back to me that would be totally awesome But nonetheless, i'm happy it's fixed right.

#7 Kona Blue Vert 2011

www.bvmperformance.com

post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM

looked at my invoice from repairs. i show the same flywheel, but different clutch pack. Wondering if that one listed is an 08 clutch?

#7 Kona Blue Vert 2011

www.bvmperformance.com

post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 07:34 AM

So does this mean the dealer will fix it under warranty or what is the steps to get this taken care off. The last time I called the local dealer they acted as if they never heard of this before. Maybe they have maybe not. And can you take it to any dealer SVT to do the repair. I bought my car 3 hours away but have a dealer 10 minutes away ?

Thanks,
Bill

2007 GT500 - 2013-TVS JLT 123 Intake,Cobra Jet 65mm TB, Custom 3 inch Exhaust (Cat delete),Afco,1 Piece Drive Shaft, 3.73 Gears,Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms, BMR Panhard Bar, True Forge Rims, Nitto 555r 18-40-305, KR Shifter, ARH Long tube headers, flowmaster mufflers.

Speed is just a matter of money... how fast can you afford to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.