Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat Exchanger Questions

7K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Wingrider 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I recently added a TVS blower and 2.4 pulley to my 2008 GT500. I think I need to upgrade the stock heat exchanger to avoid some heat soak issues I have been having- nothing serious but I want to lower the inlet temps. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some help with:
1. How necessary are the fans? Will a larger exchanger help without the fans? The car is 100% street driven.
2. If I use a unit with fans- will they overload the crappy alternator and force me to upgrade it as well?

Thanks everyone!
Dan

#2 ·
I think that fans are necessary even in a street application (e.g. sitting at a light). The more air flowing over the core, the more heat transfer will take place--more heat is removed. I think the fans draw 30 amps combined. Not too taxing on the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Yes you need the fans. You can buy an AFCO without the fans and add the fans yourself to save a few dollars. I did that. Purchased two 7" Derale fans from Summit and wired them myself. Those fans pull about 5 amps each and flow about 500 CFM each. The AFCO with fans HE fans flow more air as those fans are 9 inch I think, but mine works well enough for me on the street.

#4 ·
Get a VMP dual fan triple pass heat exchanger and be done with it. It's made by AFCO and backed by VMP. You can't go wrong.

#5 ·
Good info above. If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping your HE, might as well do it right the first time and go with the fans. You will not have a problem with your alternator.

I wired my fans to a switch, but I only turn the fans off when on a long road trip. I leave them run when driving around town.

#6 ·
Installed my VMP heat exchanger before the summer heat hit and before putting on my TVS and I love it. You can hear the fans running and the higher flow of the core means that my heat exchanger reservoir looks like a hot tub with the jets on now it's moving through so well. Even though you can't see it that well behind the grill, it looks awesome. VMP also has a great deal on the factory look 3x reservoir and it looks a lot better in the engine bay instead of the tiny little factory unit.

#7 ·
If you're already having heat soak problems before getting out of June, then the worse is yet to come. I'll 2nd the VMP HE with fans. Very nice having the peace of mind while driving in 90 degree weather without worrying about heat soak. I just took a 3 hour round trip cruise in mid-90 temps that included about an hour of mixed traffic before getting out on the open road, and I sensed no different power levels. I wasn't monitoring IAT2 as this was a fun cruise with my wife.

#11 ·
I come in from running 15-20 minute track sessions and almost aways find tepid/ambient temp heat exchanger fluid by poking a finger into the HE tank. Sometimes I can't feel the plunge into the coolant- really weird. Interesting parlor trick for people looking at the open hood if I'm around. "Don't try this at home" and jeebus don't confuse it with the radiator coolant tank!

Love hearing those 11 inch Spal fans kicking in. Revan Racing super competition heat exchanger for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.