rear diff might of took a crap - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Performance Modifications You've gotten your GT500, now let's improve what Ford gave us!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
rear diff might of took a crap

So cars at the shop right now getting some upgrades and it looks like the rear diff might of took a crap so trying to weigh in my options. It's going to be close to 700whp when finished and more of a street car so not looking for a drag only set up. I've looked into Auburn Pro as a possible solution but wanted to get some opinions first. She has the SVTPP package so she's got the 3.73's. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19179583_1344219232351957_569016344_o.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	153377  

F@$# Jane Fonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 AM

Re: rear diff might of took a crap

I'm running the Strange Strac 8.8. Downside to that is you need to run their 35 spline axles and either weld on 9" ends (only Moser sells them) or use Strange's c-clip eliminator kit. I use the c-clip elims and have never had a leakage issue, but I know some others on here have. Anyways, the 8.8 Strac is a really nice diff and holds a lot of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 GT500
2014 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Moderator Dude

Garage

What do you think caused your failure?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
What do you think caused your failure?
To be honest I'm not sure, I left for Iraq and left it at a friends house in CA and my parents were coming to pick it up and drive it back to TX, they got to AZ and my dad said he was feeling something not right and took it to discount tire to put it up on the rack and it looked like maybe someone hit a pothole or something because looked like the tire, rim hit the inside hard, and he couldn't move both rear wheels freely so he had the car shipped to TX and the shop that was going to do the work on upgrades, they said it seemed to have a lot of backlash on the piņon gear set up and is going to do more digging but things it's the diff....so I'm just waiting to see what the final deal is. I have already bought wilwood brake upgrade so the rear axles have to come out for that so was thinking might as well upgrade since I'll save money on the labor but still not sure what set up to go...he suggested the auburn pro...

F@$# Jane Fonda
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:29 PM

Very interested in how you resolve this and in your brake upgrade.

Subscribing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 PM
RBB

My stock diff took a crap on me last month. It had seen a lot of hard launches and I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. The carrier bearing race on the passenger side disintigrated/exploded. Had a ton of metal floating around in the fluid, which trashed the seals and had some slightly twisted splines as well. Ring and pinion looked fine though.

Went with a 33 spline truetrac with 3.73s. So far so good, I expect it to hold up for quite a while.

Whatever you decide to go with, you should also check out the Ford Racing G2 cover. In addition to having drain and fill plugs it has load bolts on each end to provide more support for the carrier bearings. It's a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by RBB; 06-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 AM

I love different gears for the Shelby .... never liked the 331's that came with it but dam ... every time i change gears that dam whine kicks in for eternity

Is it possible to get another gear set and not have it ?

don

2017 Race Red Shelby GT350

previous vehicles:

15 SHO 11/03/2015 stock
07 GT500 04/06/2014 664 rwhp
13 Boss 302 06/30/13 stock
07 GT500 12/08/2006 553 rwhp
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 AM
RBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbygt500_753hp View Post
I love different gears for the Shelby .... never liked the 331's that came with it but dam ... every time i change gears that dam whine kicks in for eternity

Is it possible to get another gear set and not have it ?

don
Depends on what you're doing with the car. If you're drag racing, after a few hard launches they're always going to be singing. I just had my diff rebuild a month ago. Gears are already whining after 2 trips to the strip.

If everything is set up right on a street car then they should be quiet. Suspension mods with poly bushings, rod ends, etc will all transmit more noise into the cabin than the stock stuff, so that's something to consider as well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Ok so update, shop said after further review looks like my rear was off about 3/16's and that obviously caused some binding...so since I'm putting in new BMR K-member and some other suspension parts shop said that have to do a 4 wheel alignment anyway so wanting to wait until that is done and everything is trued up before buying anything new...will keep you guys updated on progress...but just to give a little heads up on my upgrades...VMP-R, 72lb, ARH full system with Xpipe, BMR K-member, support brace, lowers, air ride performance kit...

F@$# Jane Fonda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.