Tire recommendation/widest tire? - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Wheels & Tires For (almost) all things alloy, steel and rubber.
Sponsored by:

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Tire recommendation/widest tire?

Something I've been thinking even before I bought the car was what tires to go with on the rear to replace the original Goodyear F1's. The prior owner told me it would probably need a set fairly soon as they just don't perform that well. In doing so, I've also thought about trying to put the widest tire I could on a SVTPP 20" wheel that would still keep my original height for speedometer purposes.

The tire that I've been thinking about is the Firestone Firehawk 500. It seems to get really good reviews and is one of the cheaper ones. Seems to be a best bang for the buck.

Has anyone tried to put a wider tire on the 20" Performance Pack wheel? If so what did you use? How did it work out?

Thanks.

2011 Black, SVTPP, Stripe Delete, Bone Stock...for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Moderator Dude

Garage
Re: Tire recommendation/widest tire?

Depends on your current/future power mods and if you drive the car in the rain. If you have big power and drive the car only on dry days, a drag radial might be best suited for you. I have Toyo R888's which are darn near drag radials with super soft compound and some serious traction. I squeezed a 295 onto a 9.5" wheel without any issues at all. I have 19" wheels in the back of my car.

You can always have your wheels widened, but I didn't want to go that route.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Goose. I prefer to keep things original or at least be able to return to original so no widening of wheels. Things like originality of tires aren't a concern though. I don't plan to drive it in the rain but you never know. I have thought about using some sort of Drag Radial but the dollar per treadwear is not a very good deal. So the 295 was the answer I was looking for. Did it throw off your speedometer much?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Moderator Dude

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
Thanks for the reply Goose. I prefer to keep things original or at least be able to return to original so no widening of wheels. Things like originality of tires aren't a concern though. I don't plan to drive it in the rain but you never know. I have thought about using some sort of Drag Radial but the dollar per treadwear is not a very good deal. So the 295 was the answer I was looking for. Did it throw off your speedometer much?
The width will not affect your speedometer. The height will. Since the height of my tires (sidewall) wasn't much different than my original tires, I didn't see any noticeable change.

Not all 295's are the same width. For some reason, some manufacturers run on the wider side and others are on the skinnier side. My Toyo R888's recommend a 10" wheel as a minimum, but other than a little sidewall bulging/pinching, there is ZERO side effects from the wider tire. The car is stable, planted and accellerates wonderfully.

Hope this helps. Thanks for using the wheel/tire section by-the-way. It's much more visible/locatable now that I moved it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Yes sir, I looked at a conversion chart and there isn't much difference. I just knew that 35% of 295 would be a little taller than 35% of 285 but just didn't know by how much.

No problem on using the right section. I try to do what I can to make it easiest for the forum, especially the mods.
Goose17 and blackcad55 like this.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 PM

I've just installed a set of the Firestone Indy 500's. Don't have a full review yet, but they seem on par traction wise as Continental Extreme Contact DW. (which is better than Goodyear F1's)

2011 GT500 Ingot Silver w/Matte Black Stripes
ROTM April 2017. More mods than I ever intended.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShred View Post
I've just installed a set of the Firestone Indy 500's. Don't have a full review yet, but they seem on par traction wise as Continental Extreme Contact DW. (which is better than Goodyear F1's)
I forgot to mention this earlier. My mechanic that I get tires from recommended the Firestone Indy's as well. They seem to be a good tire for the money especially.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jones View Post
I forgot to mention this earlier. My mechanic that I get tires from recommended the Firestone Indy's as well. They seem to be a good tire for the money especially.
I wanted to put those on my car a couple weeks ago. But they didn't have any in stock that any local Firestone could find or order. Let me know if you have better luck.

So I put Michelin AS3 +s on and have been very happy with the ride quality.
fletchffletch likes this.

Mike

1967 Mustang - Sports Sprint 200 - Six Cylinder - Factory PS, AC, Auto
2014 GT 500 - Oxford White w / Sonic Blue Stripe Convertible
2014 Mustang - Oxford White Six Cylinder w / Premium and Pony Package Convertible
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATFAST View Post
I wanted to put those on my car a couple weeks ago. But they didn't have any in stock that any local Firestone could find or order. Let me know if you have better luck.

So I put Michelin AS3 +s on and have been very happy with the ride quality.
You're right. I've been looking at Tire Rack as that's where my guy gets all of his tires. The Indy's are on backorder right now. I don't know if he can get them or not. I asked him at the beginning of May and that's when we looked and he recommended them.

I'm actually partial to Continental's and looking at them too. But I think the Indy's would be a better deal.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:48 PM

Garage

I am running Michelin PSS 295s on my rear and they are great. I could probably find something with a little more dry traction but I daily drive my GT500 so I need wet traction too. The tread wear on the PSS is also great, they are rated for 30k and I believe it based on the wear I have seen so far. (around 6k on them now and they were used when I got the car), even with some spirited driving.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Troy J Raffety likes this.

2011 with SVTPP
JLT "big air" carbon fiber intake, Borla ATAK exhaust, VMP 2.5in pulley, Bama tune, JLT oil separators (driver and passenger).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.