Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TPMS Installation Help and Guidance

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Robert M 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a new set of rims which I am going to have new rubber mounted on in the next couple of days. I purchased new rubber stem TPMS sensors and need to install them. Can anyone share there experience on what the best way to install these?

I know the stem can simply be pulled thru the hole but does the stem need to be lubricated? If so what can I use?

Also, does the TPMS have to be removed from the stem body before installing?

What would be the easiest way to pull the stem thru the hole without having to buy a special tool?

I'm just trying to do this part myself to limit the possibility of the tire shop marking up my rims. If its better just to have the tire shop do it and take my chances, I would appreciate that feed back also.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
From my experience doing the same thing.
Be 100% sure you have to correct TPMS ( I had to get mine redone grrr)

I watched the shop do mine & they did have a tool that screwed onto the valve & pretty sure they just used tire lube or soapy water then pulled threw.

Honestly I would let the shop do it, they do these everyday BUT tell the guy to be careful if your concerned.

Colin

#3 ·
So it sounds like you purchased the rubber stem type valve stems with the tab on the bottom for the sensor attachment instead of the screw together TPMS stem assy.?

If it is the rubber stem they pulling like a regular rubber valve stem, the install tool will be the best thing to use, you do not want to damage the rim lip. Me personally, I would use water soap solution as is many times used to install the tire on the rim.

There are other valve stem tools that "could" work to pull the stem in place, like the T-shaped multi-tool, but getting a good grip on that tool will probably be the issue once it is screwed over the stem threads

R

#5 ·
Where did you get those sensors. Do you have a link and do you know if they will work on a 2011?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Actually the one sensor that I showed in the two pictures was from a set I removed from a 2011 Super Snake set of dark Alcoa's. Shelby installed them in the wheels and I assumed they were oem 2011 Mustang?

I'm pretty sure the second picture was the sensor out of that black Alcoa, but they (all four) had an oem looking silver TPMS stem in those dark wheels. That is why I started a search for dark hardware for this type of TPMS set-up, to blend the stem in against the dark wheel.

R

#8 ·
Thanks ... I lucked out and the tire place had a set similar in stock and I got them to install them for me. Got my new rims and tires mounted and I installed them today.

#11 ·
Do all the aftermarket sensors work with the Ford system?

Are Ford sensors super expensive?

Car looks great BTW.

#12 ·
I haven't programmed the tpms yet ... But I don't think I'll have an issue. I think the sensors were about 100-125

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.