Advice on covering car(or not) while new garage is built - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
General Discussion General Discussion about the Ford GT500

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Advice on covering car(or not) while new garage is built

Looking for some suggestions, input on covering (or not) my car up while building a new garage. We recently demoed our existing garage to build a new one. While itís being built Iíve been covering it with a Covercraft Weathersheild HP. The main issue Iím dealing with is it leaves some small light scratches on the panels and a few rub marks on the sharp edges. I tie it down to keep it from moving around as much as possible in the wind and make sure the car is clean before putting it on.

Iíve heard of others using two covers. One softer cover and one like the Weathersheild HP, not sure if thatís a good idea. Has anyone had good luck with a cover outside for an extended time? The car will be outside all summer. The sun up here at 9000 ft and the granite dust can be brutal. Looked into a storage garage short term, but the closest available is about 75 min away.

Starting to think I should just detail, seal it up good and leave it uncovered. I know there are others out there dealing with no garage or shelter. So whatís everyone doing? Whatís your experience with covers? Use them, hate them or just leave it outside uncovered for the summer. Any advice or your experience is greatly appreciated.

Tom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM
RoseBud

Re: Advice on covering car(or not) while new garage is built

I'd drive the 75 min & put it in storage. Without a doubt.

2013 GT 500, Recaro's, Widened Alcoas, Toyo 888's.
BMR Suspension by Revan Racing, Alpine sound, Custom Paint by Jeff. Power by VMP, Shine by BPS
04' Mach 1, Procharged, Kooks, 475 RWHP. Custom Paint by Jeff. 19k
04' CO Terminator Vert, 505 RWHP, PosiPort.
04' CO Terminator Vert. Stock. Sold
04' CO Terminator Vert. 600 RWHP. Sold
03' SB Terminator Vert, 605 RWHP, VMP Tuned
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:18 PM
Moderator Dude

Garage

Tough call with the storage unit so far away. If you put it there, you'd most likely never drive it. As for covers, I have previously used one when I left a Mustang at the airport when out of town on trips. I had rubbing issues at first, but I eventually got the cover secured enough that the rubbing stopped. I ended up bunching up a bit of the cover in the front and back and tying a short rope loop to the cover. I then used a small bungee to hook the front and back of the cover under the car. The middle also had a strap to go under the car. After being secure in the front, back and middle, the rubbing stopped - even in the open space, windy airport.

Using a soft, indoor cover under a weather resistant outdoor cover that is properly secured would most likely be the route I'd take if I had to leave my Shelby out in your situation.

Another possible solution is to have a carport erected at your house. I had a 2-car carport put up a handful of years ago and it didn't cost too much. It keeps the sun/rain off cars and is way cheaper than building an enclosed garage.
ihaterice likes this.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 AM

Just a thought, it should last long enough to get your garage built.

10 ft. x 17 ft. Portable Garage

When you build the garage, make you finish it inside and out before moving anything inside. The one thing I regret on my garage build is not painting or tiling the floor before I move all the crap in, that was 7 years ago and the floor is still bare concrete, at least the part that is visible and not covered by all the crap.
KodiakMustang likes this.

2013 GT500 Coupe - HPW with Black Stripes - SVT PP - SVT TP - Redline Hood Struts - Yeager Bros Front Gravel Guards - Bob's Oil Separator - AirAid Blue Non-Oiled Air Filter - CarboTech 1521 Ceramic Brake Pads - Resonator Eliminator Kit - WeatherTech Floor Mats - Craigís No Drill License Plate Bracket - MGW2 Shifter - BMR Panhard Bar and Brace
Car Ordered 5-27-2012 - Build Date 1-14-2013 - Delivered 1-26-2013
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toml08 View Post
Looking for some suggestions, input on covering (or not) my car up while building a new garage. We recently demoed our existing garage to build a new one. While itís being built Iíve been covering it with a Covercraft Weathersheild HP. The main issue Iím dealing with is it leaves some small light scratches on the panels and a few rub marks on the sharp edges. I tie it down to keep it from moving around as much as possible in the wind and make sure the car is clean before putting it on.

Iíve heard of others using two covers. One softer cover and one like the Weathersheild HP, not sure if thatís a good idea. Has anyone had good luck with a cover outside for an extended time? The car will be outside all summer. The sun up here at 9000 ft and the granite dust can be brutal. Looked into a storage garage short term, but the closest available is about 75 min away.

Starting to think I should just detail, seal it up good and leave it uncovered. I know there are others out there dealing with no garage or shelter. So whatís everyone doing? Whatís your experience with covers? Use them, hate them or just leave it outside uncovered for the summer. Any advice or your experience is greatly appreciated.

Tom.
Not really advice, but if it makes you feel any better I don't even have a garage so my baby sits outside all of the time. The only time I put a cover on is before a major snow/ice storm so it is easier to clean off the next morning before work (and less scraping required)
blackcad55 likes this.

2011 with SVTPP
JLT "big air" carbon fiber intake, Borla ATAK exhaust, VMP 2.5in pulley, Bama tune, JLT oil separators (driver and passenger).
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Between the wind and the car needing to be clean before you cover it, it does make the most sense to store it, with black, I would not want to take the cover off go for a cruise and cover it again without cleaning it, plus the construction dust...

Proud member of the Mid Atlantic Cobra Association and the Mustang Club of Maryland

2007 GT500, Built by B.A. Performance w/tune by Lund Racing
785 rwhp / 703 rwtq (93 octane)
2016 F150 White Platinum Metallic 3.5 ecoboost screw
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 AM

Snoopy's recommended temporary cover is the same thing that came to my mind as I was reading about your situation. Then the portable cover is also useful for sun covering tables for a larger gatherings (you leave the side panels off), and it can also be useful on camping trips, car shows, and other events. Then an outside car cover isn't needed, and you'd be more inclined to drive the car since you aren't removing/installing a car cover each time.

2010 GT500, Kona Blue, Silver Stripes w/orange pins, VMP 2.5" pulley & tune, Cobrajet 65mm TB, VMP high flow elbow, JLT 123mm CAI, VMP triple pass HE, BPS fuel rails, MGW shifter, H&R Sport springs w/Koni struts/shocks, BMR single adj LCA's w/relo bracket & adj panhard bar w/rod support, Borla Multicore axleback exhaust, Continental ExtremeContact DW tires
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Moderator Dude

Garage

Tom, if you decide to go with a temp carport like snoopy posted, make darn sure the thing is anchored firmly to the ground. You wouldn't want a storm to send it sailing. It would most likely cause damage to your car.
007snake likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 AM

I like all options combined. Get the portable garage.... it can be used for other projects afterwards or cookouts etc. and cover the car with 2 covers for more protection, soft and then water-proof.

You will save the cost involved with storage and be able to keep an eye on Her !
Goose17 likes this.

Photo Edit by GEIGER

08 Mechanically Original

Aesthetically tweaked!

White Rally and side stripes added

Rear vents

Rear louvers

Shelby Dash Plaque

Other fun Cars and Toys:

78 MGB Green 1800 cc SOLD
2007 Pontiac Soltice GXP Black 2.0 turbo
2005 Yamaha 1100 Silverado
2012 Articat 650 ATV

Daily Drivers:
2006 Corolla S 205,000 mi.
2007 Tundra 5.7 L 87,000 mi.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOL COBRA View Post
I'd drive the 75 min & put it in storage. Without a doubt.
You can second me on this one. This wouldn't have been a debate for me, it would already be in storage.

2013 Ingot *1 of 17*, SVTPP, NAV, Shaker Pro, Recaro's, Jaeger Bro's GG, JLT AOS, FRPP Resonator Delete, BMR LCA's, BMR Adj. Panhard and Brace

"You can't buy happiness. But you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.