Torque Arm - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Suspension Anything Suspension, this is the place.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Torque Arm

I have been doing some suspension research and I am looking at the CoteX Racing torque arm and watts link. Does anybody have experience with this setup? It looks like it's not that bad of an install on jack stands but I would appreciate opinions on the installation as well. I live in central FL and the closest guys certified to install are in NC. I was originally just looking at doing the TA but you need the differential cover that goes with their watts link to make it work. You can buy just the diff cover but I have always been disappointed with the UPR "on car adjustable" (needs to be unbolted to adjust) PHB so I thought why not put in the watts link too. After learning about the TA I don't know why more people don't go this route rather than trying to get the UCA to work. Maybe it's because the upgraded UCAs came out first. Anyway if I am missing something on that please let me know. Seems like a no brainer on cars with higher HP but then again since not a lot of people have them maybe the pitfalls are missing from the real story and all that's out there is marketing. The marketing makes some good points though. Thoughts?

JT

2012 GT500 SVTPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 AM
Moderator Dude

Garage
Re: Torque Arm

I did a Watts link, but not torque arms. My Fay's 2 was a bit of a challenge to get dialed-in. Each time I had to correct it, I basically had to uninstall it since a bolt/nut that needed tweaking was hidden. I also had to fill the trunk with weights to get the car to squat-down to get access to some adjustments. In the end, I got it right and got to play under the car. All good.

Good luck with your project. You can do it!
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

That sounds like a labor of love. The CorteX link "seems" simple compare to the Fays but looks can be deceiving. Thanks for the motivator.
Goose17 likes this.

JT

2012 GT500 SVTPP

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 PM

Why not go with the system Cortex copied, Griggs?

Isn't Revan Racing in your neck of the world? They do installs.

2011-14 Shelby GT500 - Suspension - Packages - Revan Racing, Inc.

You can just do the Torque Arm and Watt's, don't have to do everything else.

http://www.griggsracing.com/pdfFiles...20120113bg.pdf

http://www.griggsracing.com/installa...stallation.pdf

Last edited by 2112; 06-15-2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Links added
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Torque Arm

I still haven't figured out if I want Griggs or. Cortex. I don't have any loyalty / investment in either company yet. I have read all of the debates about Griggs vs CorteX. I just need to keep researching and asking advice until I figure out if one manufacture meets my needs better than the other in the long run not just for these two parts.
I looked at some of your old posts and you seem to be quite experienced with Griggs. Maybe you can help me figure something out with their front end package. My question is: is it possible to do their SLA without running into the turn radius problem? Is it always necessary to replace the steering? How does the steer by wire in my 2012 fit into that equation?

JT

2012 GT500 SVTPP

Last edited by JDT1970; 06-18-2017 at 09:57 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Revan is about 200 miles from Orlando. Not horrible for a one time trip. Nearest CorteX installed is 500. Still doable but either could be a nightmare if I end up having to go back because something wasn't right. I'm leaning towards doing it myself so I understand what's under my car and make adjustments if needed.

JT

2012 GT500 SVTPP
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:56 AM

I never did the SLA. I am street and HPDE Only, not competitive track use.

On my '14 I used BMR lowering springs, stock 3-way controlled dampers, BMR LCA's and the Griggs Torque arm and Watts link.

I removed the UCA entirely. I did do the SA bump steer rod ends and sway bar links but all else is stock. Considering camber castor plates.

Bruce Griggs will answer phone calls and e-mail questions pretty quickly. He will not try to up sell you. First time I talked to him he thought the Watts was overkill, (thought the torque arm was the most bang for the buck) but I wanted it and it works as advertised
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT1970 View Post
Revan is about 200 miles from Orlando. Not horrible for a one time trip. Nearest CorteX installed is 500. Still doable but either could be a nightmare if I end up having to go back because something wasn't right. I'm leaning towards doing it myself so I understand what's under my car and make adjustments if needed.

I think Revan has done quite a few installs, they will probably have no issues. I would have my new springs and alignment done first and settled in so the can set your pinion angle right at OEM Specs.
JDT1970 likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

That's good to know they don't try and sell you stuff that won't ever make a difference. I feel the same about the watts link. I'm not sure it makes a big difference unless you throw the car around on a regular basis and a second or two makes a difference to you. It is more of a want for me too. I know myself and I will eventually end up replacing my poorly designed "adjustable" panhard bar just because it's a reminder that I got taken every time I am under the car. When you look at replacing the diff cover and panhard you are halfway to the watts link anyway monetarily. So basically the watts link is an extra 500 bucks worth of eye candy.

On a side note, I don't want the underside of the car to start looking like a bag of skittles with all the different color parts. Do you know of a spray paint that would be durable enough to paint suspension parts with?

JT

2012 GT500 SVTPP
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:09 AM

I think the Watts really made a huge difference. Not just eye candy. The single biggest difference is how much more planted the car stays to the road when hitting rough patches.

Griggs comes Hammerite gun metal gray (Except the one anodized blue spider plate).

I think that is also available in cans and different colors. I think they do it with a compressed gun;

Next I would look at P.O.R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.