Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Racing Exhaust

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  kazman59 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I’m new to the scene here.

I recently bought a 2011 GT500 SVT.. I would like a more mean sounding exhaust. I’m looking at the Ford Racing site & they have two options.

One is the 2011-2012 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 SPORT MUFFLER KIT (49 STATE)
M-5230-MSVTLA
The second 2011-2012 MUSTANG SHELBY GT500 TOURING MUFFLER KIT (50 STATE)
M-5230-MSVTCA

Both of them are the same price & they both say “louder throatier exhaust note”
So what’s the difference?

#2 ·
Don't know but I put Borla-S on my 11 and love them. Cool/calm/collected during cruise with zero drone. Step on the gas and its a whole different story! I'm not sure how they work their magic, but they do.

Reactions: ihaterice
#3 ·
Do you have the Cat-Back or just the rear section?

#5 ·
Just the mufflers. All else stock.

#9 ·
I had the Ford "sport" exhaust on my car and ended up switching to the SLP Loudmouth which were 100 times better (no drone with either). If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with the SLP to begin with. I highly suggest listening to them on youtube to get an idea. The Ford Sport exhaust was nice but did not have the sound I really wanted. They are slightly louder than stock where the SLP have a more aggressive sound yet, are not overly loud with the stock cats in place.

Good luck!

#11 · (Edited)
Here is my opinion:

I have the FRP 'sport' one - the MVSTLA ones. I have had them on the car for about a year and overall love them. The only thing I don't like is the tip is oval shaped, not round. The FRP tips are 4.0" vertical and 3.5" horizontal.

This video originally sold me on the FRP axlebacks:

I recently got the itch for just a little more sound so I bought a set of Borla Ataks which I liked but they popped a little too much for my liking so I traded them for a set of the Borla S-Types.

I put the S-types on today: the bodies of the S-types are about double as thick in the vertical direction as the FRP's so they hang lower below the valence and a lot more visible from the rear of the car, not crazy about that, if I keep them, I might paint them with high heat black to hide them better. I love the tips on the Borlas - they are 4.5" round (unlike the oval FRP's).

From what I have read the FRP 'sports' (MSVTLA) are supposed to be the same as the S-types but based on the size of the muffler, I am not sure about that. I will say the volume and tone of the S-type is very similar but the FRP's are louder across the rpm range.

I had just a touch of drone with the FRP's - not ever sure if I would call it drone or if the louder exhaust volume could just be heard a little more in the cabin vs. the stock. The Borla is dead quiet cruising, zero drone, but I don't have a ton of miles on them. Will be taking a longer road trip to a different office on Wednesday and can report then on the drone after that. Borla's have zero pop on decal, the FRP's pop once in a while on decal.

I am thinking that for me the ideal situation is to take the tips from the Borlas and put them on the FRP's. I emailed Borla when I first bought the FRP kit and they wanted $250 plus shipping for a pair of the 4.5" tips which was outrageous so I skipped it but I really do think the round tips fill the valence cutouts better than the ovals.

#12 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied...
I ended up ordering the FRP's from Levitown Ford (nice website) for $632.80 + shipping

I will update once I have them installed & I return from Iraq for work

#13 ·
I may be ordering a set from them as well. Levittown Ford is not far from me - know them well from the days of racing my fox body. "Mike" in the parts room is a real nice guy...no nonsense straight shooter...and very fair. I'm sure he told to by now...the 49 State Legal FRP offering was designed to have a slightly lower decibel level to make California happy:) Human ear will not know the difference in my opinion. Good luck and please post up vids and/or comments once installed.
~Vito

#15 ·
Well, I arrived home from Iraq yesterday afternoon.

I went straight to my buddies shop to pick up my car. I must say I am disappointed with the FR Sport exhaust... I can't tell a difference at all

#17 · (Edited)
Just like Goose, I have the Borla S-Type with MRT High Flow Catted H-Pipes, installed by our very own Sa-When. Compared to the vids that Goose has made including the one that ljn21 has shared...I would say my combo is moderately louder.

My goal was to make my car alot more aggressive sounding (really loud at WOT) when I wanted, but to also be tamed with no drone when I wanted or needed (like driving in downtown or long trips).

If you are aiming at something that is really loud...then you have to lose the Cats, or switch to high flow Catted mid-pipes like I did.

-Doc

#18 ·
Just installed a set of FRPP sport(I think?) axleback mufflers on my 2011 GT500 SVT. Pretty much exactly what you guys have been saying. The "popping on decel", which I liked, is all but gone. What I do like is the nicer tips, the smaller size(looks better from rear-view), the deeper tone, and the killer sound under acceleration. I got them "gently used" for a great price so I'm happy. :)

Attachments

#20 ·

Hey,
He DID use the search function

Unlike me...
Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.