Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhaust cut out location 2011

6K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  AUStang 
#1 ·
I have received my QTP cut outs and have arranged the install. My question has to do with the location for them . I'd like to burn them in before the H pipe crossover point. There is a stock heat shield here and the angle of the pipe will allow the assembly to tuck up better ...
Is this a good location and if not why and where else??

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's where mine are. No issues

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
Subscribed and awaiting any possible sound clips!

#4 ·
Here are the pics from when I had my Y pipes installed

Attachments

#7 ·
I was going to wrap the wires for the QTP but I ended up running the wires thru the back seat floor groments and then under the center console. I wedged the switch in the emergency handle opening(almost perfect fit and then used the power from the center console and since it is a open center switch no current draw when not is use.

#11 ·
I see this is a pretty old thread but I didn't want to start a new one asking the same questions. I want my car to have a throaty grumble when I want it, but not be annoying on long trips or coming home late at night and irking the neighbors. The car is a stock 2012 GT500. I've just heard about electric cut outs this past week and this seems like it will do everything I want it to. I was wondering is there a particular brand that Forum members recommend? I tried to go to athlon551's write up but it's no longer active. kcstang and 11 snake, did you do this with a stock system? Any links or opinions would be appreciated.

#15 ·
I wouldn't expect a reply from these guys since this thread is 5-years old. They have most likely long since sold their cars and moved on.

As for cutouts, the only one I've heard in person was member @SCANDALOUS a few years ago. He had a fully built car with cutouts and it was NASCAR loud with the cutouts open.

Before going down the cutouts path, try to hear Borla S and Atak in person. I'm betting one of them will be what you are looking for. I have the S and they are fantastic.

#12 ·
Kirk I have a set of the QTP on order myself. So also interested in what they have to say.

#13 ·
AUStang, are you putting them on a stock exhaust, or aftermarket? Which set did you get, the standard or low profile? I figure (don't pick it up til Friday so don't know) the stock car will be more than enough power for me and I just want it a bit louder...at times so this is the way to go. I would imagine since your not really changing anything that no extra tunes will be needed..is that correct?

I was going to call QTP but they closed a few minutes ago. Looking to do a set with turn downs. There are so many brands out there, but QTP seems to be the most popular.

#14 ·
I went with the low profiles for my 2010. I will be placing them after the x pipe. I have LT headers and stock mufflers. No tune needed.

#16 ·
Easy solution if you don't have long tubes is to get a used boss FRPP section and put QTP boss valves on it. If you have ARH long tubes or Kooks, both sell an X for the boss. I know the ARH fits the gt500 not sure of the kooks one. I had my ARH H cutomnwelded up by a local shop.

#18 ·
Things finally came in. Still waiting on the turn downs though.

#20 ·
I didn't want the fob...so opted for the switch. I'd suggest getting the fob. Running the wires sucked so bad. Originally I had the button mounted on the right of the steering wheel...YEP sure did forget about the metal bracket behind the plastic surround piece under the wheel. It's now on the left and I'll have to get a fake NOS button or something for the "dumb ass" hole I cut. I'll be honest it sounds cool at idle and at certain RPM's...but kind of crappy at the rest. I did it on stock exhaust though.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks for the pics. Do you think placement has anything to do with the sound? I dread running wires as well and may buy the fobs.

Think I am going mock them up on the x-pipe then take the x-pipe to a muffler shop to weld in.

#22 ·
ya I was looking at places to put the switch yesterday and decided I really don't want to cut any holes. Thinking I will most likely put it behind the cup holders in the storage area under the arm rest.

I am planning on putting mine right past the x-pipe.

Bartman, where did you place yours at? Any pics?

#27 ·
Very nice Setup.

#28 ·
finally had time to finish it up. Have not taken it for a drive yet. Sounds good at idle anyway.

click for idle video

#30 ·
Bartman,

Tried sending you a message but your PM inbox is full.

After a short drive yesterday I am mostly happy with it. Neighbors not so much :). Only thing I don't like sometimes when reving There is a metallic sound like a rattle. Though I have checked and nothing is loose. Guess could be the butterfly valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.