Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exhaust question (want it louder)

7K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  mavisky 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
have gone through 3 sets of mufflers, maybe more....I want my car louder.....end of story. My exhaust is stock and currently have Corsa axle backs, rest of the exhaust.

Help me makr it raspy....loud and mean....in CA, so the cats have to stay...any sound files are appreciated...

Terry

#4 ·
Re: Exhaust question

Might help if list what you've tried so far.

#5 ·
1st I had Flowmaster....should have kept them loud but drones bad

2nd was Roush not loud

3rd was Borla Atak they were ok...just not loud enough

4th Ford Racing 5230 Not loud and droned

5th Corsa extreme. currently on car..not loud, good sound.

I think I need to add an x pipe or H pipe....or something.....

#13 ·
My previous car was a 2003 Cobra. I ran an off-road x-pipe and an SLP cat back. It was freakishly loud. My current setup for my 40th Anniversary 2007 GT500 is a high flow catted BBK x-pipe with the same SLP loudmouth axle back. IMO, it's as loud as u get with cats and stock headers... I only kept the cats on the Shelby because I'm in the Marine Corps and have a good chance of being stationed in California again. I've had 6 Mustangs over the years and the majority have been in Cali. Let's just say that I got really good at swapping the mid-pipes once a year, thanks to smog checks. But I'm not getting any younger and 18 years in the Corps will do a number on your body.

Attachments

#14 ·
It's funny that you say that because I had cut-outs put on my car this past week-in and both of my cat are shot. So I am ordering high flow cats to be sent to a buddy's house and then eventually to California. Then I'm putting on a custom H pipe and putting the cut-outs back in and then I'm going with that exhaust and that should make my car louder not to mention if I wanna cruise and sound mean I can use the cut-outs.

#15 ·
I put cut outs on my 2010 about 3 weeks ago, placed them just past the x pipe and have been very happy with the sound. They are nascar loud fully open.

#16 ·
Same with mine. It is very loud and when they were doing mine, they found some problem with the converters so I have to go back-and redo my whole exhaust and I'm going to get new High flow catalytic converters and according to my technician I'm gonna get another 50 horsepower right there...... then they're gonna put on a new X pipe.... redo the cut-outs and then I should have a terrific sounding car regardless of whether I have it running open or not

#17 ·
Random question - how do you know if your cats are shot?

#21 ·
Other indicators your cats are shot are:

You hear rattling.
You see chunks blow out when revving.
Your boost goes up unexpectedly.

Your tune has a lot to do with the life expectancy of your cats.

#22 ·
Why not a magnaflow delete axle back or cat back kit. If you are keeping the cats, they act like mufflers by being an expansion chamber and the cat media breaks up the tone pulse already.

#26 ·
I have the FRPP oval shaped muffler, same as Borla Touring, and was looking for something a little less deep sounding, I want higher pitched for the cams. Thinking about the kr's. I would assume switching to an x pipe might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.