Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Tube Headers

20K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  JDT1970 
#1 ·
Hello,
I had VMP install their 820hp kit last week. Great bunch of people over there and a great performance package! If you are anywhere near there shop I would not hesitate to recommend them. There reputation is well earned. My tuner, Alex, recommended I consider some long tube headers to help let the increased air out of the engine. I like the idea but am concerned about the noise. I have read and listened to everything I can find on the internet and I am still struggling with a decision. Here are some of my concerns below (please comment if you have advice):
-will the increased boost (19-20) hurt the engine/cats if I leave the stock manifold/exhaust?
-I read a lot if the high flow cats don't last and no cats is even louder. Can I splice the original cats back in the exhaust or is that a bad idea?
-if I delete the cats all together (no testing in Florida) would I be able to get back down to stock noise level (or something that doesn't make it obnoxious) by hooking up resonators and the stock mufflers?
-in short, best option to go long tube and keep noise down.
-H or X? X seems like a better design but the car came with H.
-do not want any clearance issues.
Thanks in advance if you can help with this decision.

2012 gt500 svtpp

See less See more
#2 ·
19-20# seems like a lot on pump gas?

Anyways, I have gone back and forth on long tubes to the point where I put them on then took them back off. Then a year later I put them back on. Volume WILL increase. I am running 17.5# with ARH cats and they seem to be doing well though they will tell you to take them off when you head to the track. Muffler choice is certainly more difficult with long tubes as the volume is higher and in my experience that increases rasp and with some. Stock mufflers and Corsa seem to do well, S type probably just as much. I have the borla 13-14 SS setup now and they drone a bit.

I have both the X and H and much prefer the H on the long tubes as it brings the tone down quite a bit over the X. I ended up putting on some resonators with the long tubes and that did wonders for volume and rasp.

#3 ·
Bartman,
Thanks for the info. You confirmed a lot of what I was thinking. My boost is at the max I can safely run on 93 octane. So far no issues. Sounds like long tubes, H, resonator, stock muffler would be a reasonable combination.

Do you know if there would be a long term issue if I decided to leave the manifold and exhaust stock and just take the 20-50 hp loss? In other words, is this a necessary mod for engine health or would it just be a performance modification?

#5 ·
In other words, is this a necessary mod for engine health or would it just be a performance modification?
The LT's will show you a boost drop, so imho, it's a good mod to do..expect around 2lbs lost, if you decide to go cat-less another pound..( but it smells s bit)

Boost lost, less stress, less heat..always a good thing to make it breath better.

#8 ·
You guys pushed me over the tipping point in the LT's... I'll do it.

I'm probably pushing the limits of luck and good will but if someone has long tubes with an H pipe and factory muffler could you post a sound clip? I'll throw in an emoji or two if I can figure out how to do that.

#10 ·
I have Lt and stock mufflers and it sounds good, but it is a bit too quiet for me at idle. WOT it is mega loud though.

Reactions: JDT1970
#11 ·
I run LTs, off-road X and Corsas. It's pretty quiet at idle and cruising. Extremely loud at WOT.

Reactions: JDT1970
#18 ·
Heres a few sample videos of my Longtube setup! 2013 GT500 with Kooks 1-7/8 longtubes and off road X-pipe. Boost dropped from 18.8 psi (10% Lower pulley) to 16.4psi after header install. Went from 680RWHP to 705RWHP. The sound is amazing and can be quiet if you keep your foot out of it!

https://youtu.be/kr6bGyU_gz8

https://youtu.be/o6OvQhn7pw0

#21 ·
I got the dynatech. Looking on the web for resonators but will probably wait to see how it sounds first. Hardage said he had good luck with 4x18 inch resonators by dynamax. I will look up those. Does anyone else have suggestions on resonators? Size and brand.

#23 ·
Personally I prefer the stock axle back exhaust on a 13/14. I prefer the look of the slash cut single wall quad stainless tips over every aftermarket offering I've seen. Plus, given the high boost our exhaust is already loud at full tilt w LT's and does not need amplification. I run Stainless Works 1 7/8" LT's, SW Catted H-pipe, and stock axle back. Love it. On my prior 2007 Shelby I had LTs, o/r X-pipe, and Magnaflow competition axleback. Car was insanely loud. If you just want loud go for it. I prefer high hp with a controlled exhaust tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I am looking to keep the long tubes as quiet as possible. I am keeping the catback but thinking of using the resonators to make it even quieter. Anybody can make any car loud. I want to gain the advantages of long tubes but make it as quiet as possible.

#28 · (Edited)
I picked up my car yesterday with the LTs installed at VMP and the tune updated. It sounds pretty ****ing good! What I love more is the car is easier to drive. It's almost like you can feel it breathing better through the pedal. I'm not sure if that's a change in the torque curve or something with the tune. On the stock manifold I was getting a big gut punch full off boost all at once. Unfortunately this kick in the pants was a little hard to predict and would sometimes bite me trying to accelerate out of a turn. With the headers the boost rolls in a lot more predictably and gradually with pedal angle. So I did the headers to help lower the boost and add a little power. I didn't really care to change the exhaust note but I do love the added growl! In the end the thing I am most happy with is that the headers / tune update have made the increased hp a lot more controllable. I am not sure of the technical reason for that result but I will take it. I think I'm pretty happy with the power level for a while. There is more than enough (I thought that back in 2012 when I bought the car too). After I give my wallet a rest I am probably going to move on to some more suspension work. I originally was going to do clutch and one piece drive shaft but they seem to be hanging tough with the new power so I may just let them roll a few more miles. Back to the original point, I am happy with the sound from the catted long tubes tied into stock 2012 exhaust. I will hold off on resonators. At highway RPM I can't even tell a difference. The don't really start making noise until you get above 2200 rpm with heavy acceleration. If you stay out of the gas and drive like you are supposed to on public streets they are very well behaved. Sounds like a big displacement engine but not like you are purposely trying to call attention like some exhaust do. If you put your foot down it becomes clear to you and everyone else that this dog will bite.

#29 ·
Awesome. Just snagged the same kit myself and I too am starting to look into header options. Leaning towards a set of Kooks with their new green cats since we have emissions yearly here in Atlanta. Just need to find that missing $2,500 I left laying around somewhere.

#32 ·
Thanks for the follow up!

#38 ·
JDT1970, you have a sound clip of this new setup? I LOVE the sound of my stock setup. I have been told it's louder than most stockers, but who knows. LT's and more boost are on the radar, but don't want the car to be too loud. Like was mentioned earlier, anyone can make an exhaust loud.

#39 ·
So it’s been a while but I just ordered the dynamax 3 inch stainless race mufflers / resonator to add before the axle. I think they are the 18 inch ones. At first the raspy sound of the long tubes was fun but I am ready to get rid of it. I’ll report back the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.