Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Tube Headers

20K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  JDT1970 
#1 ·
Hello,
I had VMP install their 820hp kit last week. Great bunch of people over there and a great performance package! If you are anywhere near there shop I would not hesitate to recommend them. There reputation is well earned. My tuner, Alex, recommended I consider some long tube headers to help let the increased air out of the engine. I like the idea but am concerned about the noise. I have read and listened to everything I can find on the internet and I am still struggling with a decision. Here are some of my concerns below (please comment if you have advice):
-will the increased boost (19-20) hurt the engine/cats if I leave the stock manifold/exhaust?
-I read a lot if the high flow cats don't last and no cats is even louder. Can I splice the original cats back in the exhaust or is that a bad idea?
-if I delete the cats all together (no testing in Florida) would I be able to get back down to stock noise level (or something that doesn't make it obnoxious) by hooking up resonators and the stock mufflers?
-in short, best option to go long tube and keep noise down.
-H or X? X seems like a better design but the car came with H.
-do not want any clearance issues.
Thanks in advance if you can help with this decision.

2012 gt500 svtpp

See less See more
#41 ·
JDT...Good Stuff! Sorry if I missed it but did you wind up staying with the H or move over to an X-pipe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.