Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The "Hard Part" to find for the GT500KR exhaust system........

8K views 70 replies 13 participants last post by  BadCat 
#1 · (Edited)
and they are N.O.S.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-F...ash=item2a723b4949:g:focAAOSwLnBX3X9F&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-F...ash=item2cb36fa0e9:g:focAAOSwLnBX3X9F&vxp=mtr

Many non-KR owners have bought and installed the KR mufflers from FRPP, but not many also added the unique H-pipe that was part of the KR exhaust system that was designed by SVT.

I think a company called Power House Racing Products (PHRP) offered a similar KR style H-Pipe for $250+ and I don't think it had clamps included for that price. It is now discontinued.

I may un-install my 3" mandrel Shelby/JBA Super Snake 700 system and downsize to 2.5" again, I seemed to have lost some lower end torque with that 3" and I have always liked the sound of the GT500KR system. The H-Pipe shown above was always the elusive part to find......until now.

R

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Notice in that link above, it says "Out of Stock". It has been that way for months. Someone on one of these sites had called them a while back and they said they were no longer selling that pipe. The information listed below in that link is from 2009. <<<So even the PHRP pipe listed for $350 with clamps makes the original GT500KR H-pipe @ $300 Buy-it-Now a Good deal.

Also notice the PHRP pipe narrows down in the middle of the H, the oem KR pipe does not.

R

#13 · (Edited)
The GT500KR muffler sound is Great, I am not sure why the SVT Engineers also designed, and had Shelby install this H instead of simply installing the KR catback mufflers as part of the GT500KR build, but I would assume it serves a purpose, maybe drone reduction? maybe helps with other sounds like popping on deceleration, etc? not sure..........

R

#14 ·
It's a matter of taste in sound. The X pipe reportedly creates a raspier note, akin to a Euro car, whereas the H pipe mimics old school American muscle sound- lower, throbbier, deeper sound. Some folks probably can't even tell the diff. X-pipes increase HP in the upper part of the rev band, and H-pipe increase bottom end torque but the power differences between X & H pipe are meaningless to me.

It's all about sound to me. My former Bullitt had the H-pipe and I've been sold on H vs X ever since.
Lee

#15 ·
I cannot imagine ANY exhaust requiring a retune unless you are switching to headers or removing cats. It's just air leaving the motor.

#17 ·
Not sure I fully understand your question. The X pipe is part of the downtubes, south of catalytic converters. The scavenger effect of the X supposedly helps flow exhaust at higher RPM rates for more power higher up in the RPM band.

If you wanted to replace w/the H pipe, you'd have to cut out the X section and replace it w/the H pipe section.

And the dang H pipe on ebay sold. I was outbid, dagnabit. I never win any freaking bids on that site.

#18 · (Edited)
I was not sure if the left and right sides of exhaust were actually connected in that X.

I know the H is connected because I see the cross over tube, but I was not sure if there was an opening for exhaust flow left and right in the X or if they were just two pipes side by side.

I have some eBay bidding tips that I have used since 2000 with Great success, but I will talk about them after this auction.

The first N.O.S. KR H went to $256 plus $15 shipping ($100 less than the PHRP H). <<Good deal!

R

#23 ·
Not really. Perhaps if you change the diameter of the exhaust system south of the cats, then you MIGHT require some fine retuning. Generally, when it comes to the exhaust side, if you replace the manifolds w/headers or remove the cats, then you're looking at a new tune. But simple swap out of the mufflers or X/H pipe, a tune would not be needed.

#34 ·
Couldn't you just buy a high flow catted H pipe and avoid the trouble of cutting your factory X pipe? I know the sound will be a little louder with the high flow cats but you would net a few more HP and be able to bolt the pipe in place in no time. You can get a high flow catted pipe for about $400 with Magnaflow cats.

#35 ·
If you're asking me, I was warned about the long term viability of high flow cats on s/c set ups like our GT500's. I would've gone that route otherwise as I really liked the sound of the MRT high flow cats and their Interceptor mufflers.

So I'm staying OEM cats and have already purchased the Shelby H-pipe so it's a non-issue for me anymore.
Lee

#36 ·
If you cut the pipe in the same place as the KR piece I would think that you could clamp the old pipe back in there if you wanted to in the future.

#43 ·
Can't help you on the lights, but just read thru this thread......kinda interesting since there is a bit more to this story.

The ford engineer who lead the effort on the kr exhaust system and came up with the design of the h pipe, also helped a bunch of us with the clutch tsb in the early days, think 08 to 09 or so.

Ford had a reduction in force and he was laid off, so one of the things he did was design an h pipe for GT500s......yes.....the very one sold by Powerhouse, but an improved version.

The oem kr h pipe was described to me as basically an pipe containing a welded in washer.......ford really didn't want to spend much time or money on the exhaust. The powerhouse product is necked down, so that flow is slightly reduced without the turbulence effect of the washer, or whatever ford used in the oem. The h pipe reduces hp by a few, but has a deeper sound without as much raspiness.

here is a link a thread on team shelby by Rob/Grabber......an old time owner like me. Its pretty descriptive with a lot of photos. I think Rob stays in touch with the engineer actually. I love my exhaust btw......no cats, h pipe and borla touring. And no need for a retune for a switch to an h pipe only......going to a high flo or catless h pipe system may easily trigger the need for a retune.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/6-performance-modifications/3507-kr-mufflers-kr-like-h-pipe.html

#44 ·
I found that thread about 15m after buying my GT500 last year! But then I knew the H pipe was a must.

My '08 Bullitt had the H pipe and I believe it too had the welded-in washer. This added to the quasi-authentic sound coming out thru the OEM Bullitt cans, to make it mimic the sound of Steve McQueen's Bullitt, albeit more than a few db's quieter.

I did not realize the KR/H pipe was built likewise. I landed one of those off e-bay (leftover stock right from the Shelby store) after the Powerhouse folks went out of business.
Lee

#45 ·
There probably is not much significant difference between the kr and the powerhouse h pipe....both lose the scavenging effect of the x pipe.

The ford engineer really is a nice guy and got badly screwed over by ford......they reduced by years of service and only counted the last couple of years for him, but he had taken a year or so off, and had worked for them previously for a very long time. But he landed on his feet with a competitor.

#46 ·

I forgot to mention, the KR s mufflers will be here Fri. Got a set on eBay for $225 shipped. :D

#48 ·

Revised FedEx delivery schedule, by eob Thursday, that would be a Friday install ;)

#49 ·
Where can i get the H pipe piece?

#51 ·
If you want a true Shelby H pipe, every now & then they'll release old "new stock" on their ebay page but it's pretty rare. I've only seen 2 go up f/s in the last year & I think Dennis & I both got them.

Probably easier/cheaper just to go to the local muffler shop & have them fab/install one for you.
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.