Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012 shift knob removal

15K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Goose17 
#1 ·
Anyone done it yet? Looks like the billet piece right below the knob is 2 pieces? Is that correct? I ordered a speed dawg replacement to put on. Just want to know the process and tools you all used.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
Nope, shift knob is one piece, the silver piece below the know comes off with it. I was able to break mine loose using a simple rubber strap wrench. I didn't have to use heat, but some have reported having to do so. It has loc-tite on the threads (which you will want to replenish when you go to re-install). If you have to heat it with a heat gun, cover the boot with aluminum foil so as to avoid damage. Easy stuff...it'll come off with a little effort. You can find a cheap strap wrench at a local Harbor freight, think I paid $3 for a couple of them.

#8 ·
My all black car came with a white shift knob and I hated it. Replaced it with the Indy-cator which is black with the display in selectable colors. I didn't want the old shift knob so just used some vice grips and a little elbow grease and it came off. Other people have used the strap wrenches and heat so they must have found something that works. That lock-tite does a good job of making the knob hard to remove.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I did it :grinbiginvert:

So before I was going to try the heat and all that I figured I would try something else first. I wasn't getting a good grip with the strap wrench. It kept slipping. I decided to try my R/C spray cleaner/degreaser on the strap to get it real clean. So I did that and cleaned the shift knob as well.

BINGO.

Strap gripped perfect and off she came no problem at all.

Only thing is now is I have a gap between the boot and the jam screw. I can feel sort of a collar under the boot that seems like it would move up to bring the boot up but I don't want to break anything. You can see in the pic what I am talking about.

Attachments

#12 ·
There shouldn't be a gap. You didn't screw your shifter boot adapter down far enough.

#15 ·
Please start a new thread with your question vs. reviving a thread that is 7 years old. It's always good to research old threads, just start a new one versus continuing a long-dead thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.