Father/son project: clean/correct/polish/detail - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum
Other Mustangs Discussions about other Mustangs go here.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Dude

Garage
Father/son project: clean/correct/polish/detail

Spent most of the day today working on my son's newly acquired 2011 5.0. I was supposed to have jury duty today, but got an email stating they had enough jurors. Since I had nothing planned, my 17-year old and I tackled a big project. We started with a full wash - got the car clean and then pulled it into the big garage. It was mid 90's here today and we were loving the air conditioned garage!

Next step was claying the car. My son had never clayed a car before, so I started and showed him the basics and then let him do the rest. We were using a Chemical Guys clay sponge bar for the first time (as apposed to traditional clay). It worked very well!

Next came rounds of minor correcting/polishing. I used my Griots 6" and 3" polishers with 5 rounds of products. First up were Meguiars products: medium cut, fine cut and finally swirl remover. I applied/buffed and my son removed. After 3 rounds of Meguiars, next came Liquid Glass. Round 4 was the precleaner, applied with the buffers. Fifth and final round was the Liquid Glass Polish. While I finished polishing, my son cleaned the glass, trim, wheels and tires.

When we finished for the day, we stepped-back and marveled at our efforts and the resulting shine. I told my son that the car looks so good now that I was keeping it for me and he'd need something else.

In the end, we had some good father/son bonding, my son learned some car-care skills and his ride shines almost like new. Tomorrow might be another project by tackling the interior.

Pictures!

Claying:

Had to run to Oreilly's to get some compound - we took the R. I drove there and my son drove back. It's always a treat to get the R out of the bat cave.

Son removing compound:

Done!

03reptile, 007snake, OMB and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM

Re: Father/son project: clean/correct/polish/detail

Nice job that is a pretty car. Your son has to be stoked with that ride.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
03reptile and Goose17 like this.

Torch Red 07 GT500, SVE series2 20" chrome wheels wrapped with Nitto Invo's, Eibach proline springs, Koni sport shocks & struts, BMR adj. uca, BMR non adj. lca's, BMR adj. panhard bar and brace, 2.5" vmp pulley, 90mm idler, vmp 93 octane tune, MGW GenII shifter, chrome exterior accents

I have just begun!

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:10 AM

What a fantastic way to spend quality time with your son and at the same time passing along knowledge and skills. Can I borrow him sometime? I sure could use an experienced compound remover. Hahahahah
007snake and Goose17 like this.

2013 Ingot *1 of 17*, SVTPP, NAV, Shaker Pro, Recaro's, Jaeger Bro's GG, JLT AOS, FRPP Resonator Delete, BMR LCA's, BMR Adj. Panhard and Brace

"You can't buy happiness. But you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Dude

Garage

Today, we just did a second coat of Liquid Glass. The interior detail will wait for another day. My son then pulled the car out in the sun and snapped this pic:

Evil_E and fletchffletch like this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:34 PM

Awesome! Looking gooooood! How many hours did it take you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose17 likes this.

2011 SVTPP -- Sterling Metallic Gray -- Factory Stripe Delete
New to me on 1/13/17 w/ 5,872 miles

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Dude

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchffletch View Post
Awesome! Looking gooooood! How many hours did it take you guys?

It was somewhere around 6 hours yesterday and another hour today. Time well spent.
fletchffletch likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM
Bald Moderator!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose17 View Post
Today, we just did a second coat of Liquid Glass. The interior detail will wait for another day. My son then pulled the car out in the sun and snapped this pic:

Looking good Billy Ray.......https://youtu.be/JM5H5W8rCUA

....nothin' like a clean, shiny red car!
Goose17 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Garage

Quote:
Spent most of the day today working on my son's newly acquired 2011 5.0. I was supposed to have jury duty today, but got an email stating they had enough jurors. Since I had nothing planned, my 17-year old and I tackled a big project. We started with a full wash - got the car clean and then pulled it into the big garage. It was mid 90's here today and we were loving the air conditioned garage!

Next step was claying the car. My son had never clayed a car before, so I started and showed him the basics and then let him do the rest. We were using a Chemical Guys clay sponge bar for the first time (as apposed to traditional clay). It worked very well!

Next came rounds of minor correcting/polishing. I used my Griots 6" and 3" polishers with 5 rounds of products. First up were Meguiars products: medium cut, fine cut and finally swirl remover. I applied/buffed and my son removed. After 3 rounds of Meguiars, next came Liquid Glass. Round 4 was the precleaner, applied with the buffers. Fifth and final round was the Liquid Glass Polish. While I finished polishing, my son cleaned the glass, trim, wheels and tires.

When we finished for the day, we stepped-back and marveled at our efforts and the resulting shine. I told my son that the car looks so good now that I was keeping it for me and he'd need something else.

In the end, we had some good father/son bonding, my son learned some car-care skills and his ride shines almost like new. Tomorrow might be another project by tackling the interior.

Pictures!

Claying:

Had to run to Oreilly's to get some compound - we took the R. I drove there and my son drove back. It's always a treat to get the R out of the bat cave.

Son removing compound:

Done!

There are too many Stang's in there! Drive one over to my place, like the R!😀
Goose17 and Homebrw like this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaterice View Post
There are too many Stang's in there! Drive one over to my place, like the R!

I agree. Too many wild ponies in the stable. You should set one or two free to join their friends out there on the plains.

Goose17 and ihaterice like this.

2011 SVTPP -- Sterling Metallic Gray -- Factory Stripe Delete
New to me on 1/13/17 w/ 5,872 miles

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Pictures!

Claying:

Son removing compound:

Done!

Tim

It truly is super to see such a great relationship between you and your kids.
Very refreshing in todays time

don
Goose17, SuziQ and Homebrw like this.

2017 Race Red Shelby GT350

previous vehicles:

15 SHO 11/03/2015 stock
07 GT500 04/06/2014 664 rwhp
13 Boss 302 06/30/13 stock
07 GT500 12/08/2006 553 rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Shelby GT500 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.